Express in terms of sine function of f(x)=sinx+cosx

In summary: B}{A}=\dfrac{C\sin{\theta}}{C\cos{\theta}}=\tan{\theta}$$\dfrac{B}{A}=\dfrac{1}{1}=1$$\dfrac{B}{A}=\dfrac{1}{1+\tan{\theta}}=\dfrac{1}{2}=0.5$$\dfrac{B}{A}=\dfrac{1}{2}=0.5$$\theta=\arctan\left(\dfrac{B}{A}\right
Elissa89
f(x)=sinx+cosx

getting really frustrated with my math teacher. gives us forumlas for things but then barely shows us how to use them if at all and then throws problems at that we have to make sense of ourself. why can't math teachers teach?

anyway, the question is express f(x)=sinx+cosx in terms of sin.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Elissa89 said:
f(x)=sinx+cosx

getting really frustrated with my math teacher. gives us forumlas for things but then barely shows us how to use them if at all and then throws problems at that we have to make sense of ourself. why can't math teachers teach?

Probably what you are after is the relationship between sine and cosine. Using \(\displaystyle sin^2( \theta ) + cos^2( \theta ) =1\) then if \(\displaystyle \theta\) is in either Quadrant I or IV then \(\displaystyle cos( \theta ) = + \sqrt{1 - sin^2( \theta )}\), and if \(\displaystyle \theta\) is in Quadrant II or III then \(\displaystyle cos( \theta ) = - \sqrt{1 - sin^2( \theta )}\).

So \(\displaystyle sin( \theta ) + cos( \theta ) = sin( \theta ) \pm \sqrt{1 - sin^2( \theta )}\).

There is another relationship which I judge (from my own experience, anyway) that is not well known to students. I give it without proof (I don't know how to.)
\(\displaystyle a~sin( \theta ) + b~cos( \theta ) = c~sin( \theta + \phi )\)
where
\(\displaystyle c = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\) and \(\displaystyle \phi = atan2(b, a)\).

atan2 is similar to \(\displaystyle tan^{-1}\). It is defined here.

I'm guessing this is not what your instructor was after.

-Dan

Elissa89 said:
f(x)=sinx+cosx

$A\sin{x}+B\cos{x} = C\sin(x+\theta)$

$A\sin{x}+B\cos{x} = C\left[\sin{x}\cos{\theta}+\cos{x}\sin{\theta}\right]$

$A = C\cos{\theta}$, $B = C\sin{\theta}$ $\implies A^2+B^2 = C^2(\cos^2{\theta}+\sin^2{\theta}) \implies A^2+B^2=C^2(1) \implies C = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}$

$\dfrac{B}{A} = \dfrac{C\sin{\theta}}{C\cos{\theta}} = \tan{\theta} \implies \theta = \arctan\left(\dfrac{B}{A}\right)$

OK, you have $A=1$ and $B=1$ ... find the values of $C$ and $\theta$

1. What is the meaning of "express in terms of sine function"?

Expressing a function in terms of the sine function means rewriting the function using only sine and its related functions (such as cosine, tangent, etc.) instead of other mathematical operations or functions.

2. How do you express f(x)=sinx+cosx in terms of sine function?

To express f(x)=sinx+cosx in terms of sine function, we can use the trigonometric identity sin(x+y)=sinxcosy+cosxsiny. By substituting y=x, we get f(x)=sinxsinx+cosxcosx, which can be simplified to f(x)=sin²x+cos²x. Since sin²x+cos²x=1, the final expression is f(x)=1.

3. Why is it useful to express a function in terms of sine function?

Expressing a function in terms of sine function can make it easier to solve or manipulate, as trigonometric identities and properties can be used. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of the function, especially for periodic functions.

4. Can any function be expressed in terms of sine function?

Yes, any function can be expressed in terms of sine function using trigonometric identities and properties. However, the resulting expression may not always be simpler or more useful.

5. Are there any other ways to express f(x)=sinx+cosx in terms of sine function?

Yes, there are multiple ways to express f(x)=sinx+cosx in terms of sine function. One example is f(x)=√(2)sin(x+π/4), which can be derived using the double angle formula for sine. Another example is f(x)=2sin(x+π/2)cosx, which can be derived using the sum of angles formula for sine.