Express x in terms of the constants

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression A(Bx + 1) = C*d^(2x) and how to find an explicit expression for x in terms of A,B,C, and d. The individual has tried using logarithms but is unable to arrive at a solution. They are seeking help and options such as using the Lambert W-function or a graphical method are suggested. Ultimately, it is concluded that an explicit expression for x cannot be obtained due to the linear and exponential terms in the equation.
vktsn0303
I have the expression, A(Bx + 1) = C*d^(2x) where A,B,C and d are constants. How to arrive at an expression for x in terms of A,B,C and d?

I have tried doing this:

Log [A(Bx + 1)/C] = Log [d^(2x)]

2xLog(d) = Log[A(Bx + 1)/C]

but I'm unable to arrive at an explicit expression of x in terms of A,B,C and d.
Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This cannot be done, since basically you have a linear term on the left and an infinite sum on the right. The best you can get is by using the Lambert W-function which isn't a function to be exact.

vktsn0303 said:
I'm unable to arrive at an explicit expression

because you can't, the best thing you can do is using the Lambert W-function as suggested by @fresh_42 or there is also a graphical method that consist to intersect the linear function ##f(x)\,=\, ABx+A## with the exponential function ##g(x)\,=\,Cd^{2x}##, changing the value of your parameters you can study the existence of solutions of your equation.

Ssnow

Related to Express x in terms of the constants

1. How do I express x in terms of the constants in a scientific equation?

The process of expressing x in terms of the constants involves isolating x on one side of the equation by performing mathematical operations on both sides until x is the only variable left. This will result in an equation where x is equal to a combination of the constants.

2. Why is it important to express x in terms of the constants?

Expressing x in terms of the constants allows for a clearer understanding of the relationship between x and the constants in the equation. It also allows for easier substitution of values for the constants to solve for x or to manipulate the equation for further analysis.

3. What are the common mathematical operations used to express x in terms of the constants?

The most common operations used are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations are used to manipulate the equation and isolate x on one side.

4. Can x be expressed in terms of the constants in every equation?

No, it is not always possible to express x in terms of the constants in an equation. Some equations may not have a closed form solution for x or may require complex mathematical techniques to express x in terms of the constants.

5. How do I know if I have correctly expressed x in terms of the constants?

You can check your answer by substituting the values of the constants into the equation and solving for x. If the result matches the original value of x, then you have correctly expressed x in terms of the constants.