Fabricating a storage room inside a large warhouse

• Thread starter Orn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storage
In summary, the conversation discusses the fabrication of a storage room inside a large warehouse, with specific dimensions and purpose for storing tooling. The individual has already planned for necessary features such as HVAC, dehumidifier, pedestrian doors, and a rollup door, but is facing a problem with the ceiling joists being too high for support beams in the new room. The conversation explores potential solutions, such as tying into existing joists or creating a self-supporting lower roof structure. However, it is ultimately determined that this type of project requires professional help from a licensed architect or structural engineer and a building permit.
Orn
I am wanting to fabricate a storage room inside a large warehouse. The room will be 46 feet wide x 74 feet long x 10 foot ceiling. We will store tooling inside this room. I have the HVAC, dehumidifier, pedestrian doors and rollup door figured out, but here is my problem:
The ceiling joists of the warehouse are 16 feet from the floor. I need an open storage room - no support beams - in the new room.
I have been trying to figure out the best method to span those distances. Can I tie into the existing joists, which are steel, and if so, what would be the best way to do that? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on strength of joists. I have seen some roofs which are incredibly flimsy and likely can not safely support anything besides its own weight.
Generally, if relaying on upper roof strength, i would recommend lower roof to be made in gable shape and to connect to lower roof at one line at top of ridge through the number of short variable-length connecting rods - in this case you will have less trouble compensating for inevitable elastic deformation of upper roof.

If the upper roof is too flimsy, good solution for self-supporting large span lower roof is the saw-tooth shaped roof.

Thanks, trurle. There are substantial trusses on the warehouse made of thick steel I-beam, S8 x 23, on 25-foot centers. The joists are 4 inch steel angle x 3/8" thick. It's a pretty hefty roof structure.
Would fabricating a frame, tying that frame into the existing roof structure and then to the new ceiling members work? Or is that overkill?

Welcome to PF. Sorry, but this sort of thing requires a licensed architect and/or structural engineer, and a building permit, not a do-it-yourself via information from the internet. Thread closed.

Likes berkeman and anorlunda

1. How much space is needed for a storage room inside a large warehouse?

The amount of space needed for a storage room inside a large warehouse will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the warehouse. Factors to consider include the size and quantity of items to be stored, accessibility to the storage room, and any additional equipment or shelving needed. It is important to carefully plan and measure the space to ensure efficient use of the warehouse.

2. What materials should be used for the construction of a storage room inside a large warehouse?

The materials used for the construction of a storage room inside a large warehouse should be durable and able to withstand heavy use. Metal or concrete walls are commonly used for their strength and ability to withstand wear and tear. Additionally, sturdy shelving and storage containers should be used to safely store items and maximize space.

3. How can I ensure proper ventilation and lighting in a storage room inside a large warehouse?

Proper ventilation and lighting are essential for a storage room inside a large warehouse. To ensure proper ventilation, consider installing HVAC systems or fans to circulate air and prevent moisture buildup. For lighting, LED or fluorescent lights are energy-efficient options that provide ample illumination for a storage room. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain these systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when fabricating a storage room inside a large warehouse?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when fabricating a storage room inside a large warehouse. It is important to follow all building codes and regulations to ensure the structural integrity of the storage room. Additionally, proper labeling and organization of stored items can help prevent accidents and injuries. Fire safety measures, such as installing fire extinguishers and smoke detectors, should also be taken into consideration.

5. How can I optimize the layout of a storage room inside a large warehouse?

The layout of a storage room inside a large warehouse should be carefully planned to maximize space and efficiency. Consider using vertical space by installing tall shelves or utilizing stacking containers. It is also important to regularly review and reorganize the storage room to ensure items are easily accessible and to make any necessary adjustments to optimize the layout.