Factoring a quartic polynomial over the reals

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a simple quartic polynomial with real coefficients is factorable over the reals. It is possible to factor it into two quadratic polynomials, but it is important to consider the structure of complex roots in order to do so. By taking advantage of the conjugate pairs of complex roots, it is possible to split the polynomial into two quadratics that can be multiplied together. This is a direct consequence of the full factorization in the complex numbers and the existence of conjugate pairs of complex roots.
Mr Davis 97
I have the simple quartic polynomial ##x^4+1##. How in general do I determine whether this is factorable over the reals or not? Since it has no real roots, it could only factor into two quadratic polynomials, but I am not sure what I can do to determine whether this is possible or not.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
All coefficients of the polynomial are real. Thus any roots with non-zero imaginary components come in conjugate pairs... Take advantage of this structure to split into 2 quadratics that you can multiply.

i.e.

for complex ##\lambda## (with non-zero imaginary component) we have

##(x - \lambda)(x - \bar{\lambda}) = x^2 - 2\Big(\text{real}(\lambda)\Big)x + \vert \lambda \vert^2 ##

You can factor every (non-trivial) polynomial with only real coefficients into linear and quadratic terms.
This is a direct consequence of the full factorization in the complex numbers and the conjugate pairs of complex roots.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What does it mean to factor a quartic polynomial over the reals?

Factoring a quartic polynomial over the reals means finding its equivalent expression as a product of linear or quadratic factors with real coefficients.

2. How do you determine if a quartic polynomial can be factored over the reals?

A quartic polynomial can be factored over the reals if it can be written as a product of two quadratic polynomials with real coefficients. This can be determined by using the rational root theorem or by graphing the polynomial to look for x-intercepts.

3. What is the general process for factoring a quartic polynomial over the reals?

The general process for factoring a quartic polynomial over the reals involves first checking if there are any common factors that can be factored out. Then, using techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, or the quadratic formula, the polynomial can be factored into a product of two quadratic polynomials.

4. Can a quartic polynomial have all real roots?

Yes, a quartic polynomial can have all real roots. This is determined by the discriminant of the polynomial, which is the part under the square root in the quadratic formula. If the discriminant is greater than or equal to 0, then the polynomial will have all real roots.

5. Are there any other methods for factoring a quartic polynomial over the reals?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the method of undetermined coefficients or using the substitution method. These methods may be more complex and require more advanced algebraic techniques.