Factoring quadratic equation (with trig identities used)

In summary, there is a way to factor a quadratic equation along the lines of asin^2x -bsin2x+c, but it involves using trigonometric identities and solving for cosine 2x instead of sine 2x. It is possible to solve for x in this equation, but it may be more complex than using traditional factoring methods.
stratz
Is it possible to factor a quadratic equation along the lines of asin^2x -bsin2x+c ? If so, how? The sin2x seems to be a problem since when expanded it becomes 2sinxcosx, but I'm wondering if it is possible, and how it would be done?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
stratz said:
Is it possible to factor a quadratic equation along the lines of asin^2x -bsin2x+c ? If so, how? The sin2x seems to be a problem since when expanded it becomes 2sinxcosx, but I'm wondering if it is possible, and how it would be done?
I don't see any way of doing it. What's the context of this problem? Could there be a mistake leading up to what you show?

BTW, what you show isn't an equation -- there's no =.

a sin2(x) - b sin(2x) + c = 0 (I guess that is what you meant) can be written as ##a \sin^2(x) + c = 2 b \sin(x) \sqrt{1-\sin^2(x)}##, after squaring both sides you get a quadratic equation in sin2(x).

stratz said:

Thanks in advance.

Is the object to solve [itex]a \sin^2x - b \sin 2x + c = 0[/itex] for [itex]x[/itex]? If so, use the identities [tex]
\cos^2 x + \sin ^2 x = 1 \\
\cos^2 x - \sin^2 x = \cos 2x
[/tex] to express [itex]\sin^2 x[/itex] in terms of [itex]\cos 2x[/itex]; then you'll have something of the form [itex]p \cos 2x - b \sin 2x + q = 0[/itex] which I hope you know how to solve.

1. What is factoring a quadratic equation?

Factoring a quadratic equation means breaking down a quadratic equation into simpler terms. This helps in solving the equation and finding the values of the variables.

2. Why use trig identities to factor a quadratic equation?

Using trig identities can help simplify the quadratic equation and make it easier to factor. It can also help in solving equations that involve trigonometric functions.

3. How do I factor a quadratic equation using trig identities?

To factor a quadratic equation using trig identities, first identify any trigonometric functions present in the equation. Then, use the appropriate trig identity to simplify the equation. From there, you can use traditional factoring methods to solve the equation.

4. Can I use trig identities to factor any quadratic equation?

Yes, you can use trig identities to factor any quadratic equation that contains trigonometric functions. However, it may not always be necessary or helpful to do so.

5. Are there any tips for factoring quadratic equations with trig identities?

It is important to be familiar with various trig identities and know when to use them. Practice and familiarity with trigonometric functions can also make factoring easier. Additionally, pay attention to any restrictions on the variables in the equation when using trig identities.