Faster than the speed of light.

In summary, the article discusses the possibility of speeding light to 300 times its natural speed, which could theoretically allow one to see a moment in time before it takes place. However, this is not possible for objects with mass due to the constraints of special relativity. The article also mentions experiments that appear to show light exceeding its own speed, but this is due to the dynamics of the medium and does not violate the 2nd postulate of special relativity.
voodoomagic
http://science.howstuffworks.com/news-item6.htm

this says that u can speed light to 300 times the natural speed of light, and theoretically one could see a moment in time before it took place.

what do you think??

Science news on Phys.org
a light beam itself which exceeds c? Perhaps, probable, I don't really know myself. But something which have mass like you and me would have difficulty going faster than c cos' of imaginary mass and all?

yes, i know that I am talking about the seeing a moment in time before it happened

I've seen these experiments. A powerful pulse of some duration is sent through a filter that blocks most of the pulse. What comes out is a much shorther pulse, the beginning of which is later than the beginning of the input pulse, but the center of the much shorther pulse is before the center of the input pulse. The output pulse's time duration is completely within the time duration of the input pulse.

To me this is just the dyanamics of the medium. The speed of light is not exceeded.

You are correct, Vern - that's a surprisingly misinformed article from howstuffworks.

This is very common, the error is to consider that the 2nd postulate of special relativity says that the speed of the light in the vacuum is the top speed. But this is not exactly correct. The 2nd postulate says:

The maximum speed of information transmission is the speed of the light in the vacuum.

In waves, the group velocity and phase velocity don't contains any information about the wave, so both can be greather than "c", and this complains with the 2nd postulate.

See http://www.physicsweb.org/articles/news/8/11/10/1

Last edited:

Related to Faster than the speed of light.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is considered to be the fastest speed at which energy can travel.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This includes particles, objects, and even information.

What happens if something were to travel faster than the speed of light?

If something were to exceed the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics and cause a paradox. It is currently believed to be impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light.

Can the speed of light be exceeded in a medium other than a vacuum?

In some cases, the speed of light can be slowed down when traveling through a medium such as water or glass. However, it still cannot be exceeded in any medium.

Why is the speed of light important in science?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics and plays a crucial role in many theories and equations. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and optics.