Favorite Music For Halloween/Samhain?

• Music
  • Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation is about favorite bands and songs for Halloween. The person prefers music that suits the Halloween atmosphere rather than specifically Halloween-themed music. They mention listening to Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Type-O-Negative, Bauhaus, Rasputina, Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, Black Sabbath, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, The Cure, and the soundtrack from From Dusk Till Dawn. They also ask for suggestions for more obscure Halloween music. They mention being a Goth kid in high school and loving Halloween.
TheStatutoryApe
Who are your favorite bands and what are you favorite songs for being festive on Halloween?

Personally while I like some of the cheesy music specifically for Halloween I really prefer music that suits the Halloween atmosphere without trying to be Halloween music.

I just finished listening to some Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, 'Lyre of Orpheus'. Wish I had his 'Murder Ballads', I should have looked for that before coming to work.
Earlier I listened to Tom Waits' 'Blood Money' and I'm probably going to listen to it again.
Other CDs I have that I may listen to before the day is out..
Type -O- Negative, don't know the title.
Bauhaus, Greatest Hits (including Bela Legosi's Dead!:biggrin:)
Rasputina, Frustration Plantation and Cabin Fever
Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, Cthulhu Strikes Back and Great Old Ones
Black Sabbath, Paranoid
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Hit-And-Run Holiday
Tom Waits, Alice
The Cure, Greatest Hits
From Dusk Till Dawn, the soundtrack

Science news on Phys.org
Oingo Boingo ..Dead Mans Party

Oingo Boingo is definitely good Halloween music.

Can you think of any music you think is apropriate for the occasion that is more obscure? I'd like to learn about some new bands or songs that I have never heard of. The traditional ones are good but I was really hoping to find some more music.

I love Halloween. I was a Goth kid in High School.

Related to Favorite Music For Halloween/Samhain?

1. What makes music "perfect" for Halloween or Samhain?

There are a few key elements that can make music a good fit for Halloween or Samhain. First, the lyrics should be thematically relevant, such as referencing ghosts, witches, or other spooky creatures. Second, the music should have a dark and eerie tone, often achieved through minor chords, dissonance, or certain instruments like the theremin. Lastly, the overall atmosphere of the music should evoke a sense of mystery and suspense.

2. Is there a specific genre of music that is most popular for Halloween or Samhain?

While there are certainly certain genres that are more commonly associated with Halloween or Samhain, such as gothic rock or dark ambient, there is no one "right" genre for this holiday. It ultimately depends on personal taste and the mood you are trying to create. Some people may prefer a more upbeat and playful sound, while others may enjoy something more ominous and haunting.

3. Can any song be considered "spooky" or "Halloween-ish" if it has the right lyrics?

While lyrics can certainly play a big role in making a song feel appropriate for Halloween or Samhain, they are not the only factor to consider. The music itself also needs to have a certain mood and atmosphere, as well as be thematically relevant. Without these elements, even the spookiest lyrics may not be enough to make a song feel fitting for the holiday.

4. Are there certain instruments that are commonly used in music for Halloween or Samhain?

There are a few instruments that are commonly associated with Halloween or Samhain, such as the theremin, pipe organ, and harpsichord. These instruments have a unique and eerie sound that can add to the overall atmosphere of a spooky song. However, this does not mean that other instruments cannot be used effectively to create a haunting or mysterious sound.

5. Can Halloween or Samhain music be enjoyed outside of the holiday season?

Absolutely! While these types of music may be most commonly associated with Halloween or Samhain, they can be enjoyed at any time of year. In fact, many people listen to spooky music all year round as it can be a fun and entertaining genre. So feel free to enjoy your favorite Halloween or Samhain tunes whenever the mood strikes!