Fermat's principle can be derived from Maxwell equations?

In summary, The Fermat's principle states that light takes the path of least time. This principle can be derived from Maxwell's equations using geometric optics.
PFfan01
As we know, the Fermat's principle states: Light takes the path of least time. I wonder whether Fermat's principle can be derived from Maxwell equations. If it can, then Fermat's principle is included in Maxwell equations, or Fermat's principle is not an independent postulate.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsforum01 said:
As we know, the Fermat's principle states: Light takes the path of least time. I wonder whether Fermat's principle can be derived from Maxwell equations. If it can, then Fermat's principle is included in Maxwell equations, or Fermat's principle is not an independent postulate.

Only indirectly: geometrical optics can be derived from Maxwell's equations via the eikonal equation, and Fermat's principle may then be derived by application of variational principles to the path (the eikonal function), so-called 'Hamiltonian optics'.

But I don't think so. Fermat’s principle is an independent postulate and it cannot be derived from Maxwell EM theory, although there is a description of Fermat’s principle in geometric optics based on EM theory: Light takes the path of least time.

The original form of Fermat’s principle is “Nature always acts by the shortest course”. When applied to geometric optics, this principle requires that light take the path of least time. In optics of light rays (geometrical optics) set up from Maxwell equations, this principle is specifically expressed as: An actual light ray makes $\int{n}ds$ the minimum. Light rays, refractive index $n$, light speed … are all defined in the Maxwell-EM-theory frame, but the conclusion “an actual light ray makes the $\int{n}ds$ minimum” comes from the Fermat’s principle. In other words, Fermat’s principle itself is not included in Maxwell equations. A correct statement probably would be: Maxwell’s equations can be used to formulate the Fermat’s principle in geometric optics.

physicsforum01 said:
Fermat’s principle is an independent postulate and it cannot be derived from Maxwell EM theory

Then why did you ask the question?

physicsforum01 said:
Fermat’s principle is an independent postulate and it cannot be derived from Maxwell EM theory
Do you have a reference for that claim? It doesn't seem likely to me.

Vanadium 50 said:
Then why did you ask the question?
In my manuscript, I claim that Fermat’s principle is a separate postulate independently of the Maxwell EM theory. The reviewer does not agree, and rejected my manuscript, criticizing: “Fermat’s principle cannot be put on the same level as Maxwell’s equations. Maxwell’s equations can be used to derive Fermat’s principle.”

Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
Do you have a reference for that claim? It doesn't seem likely to me.
"Fermat’s principle is an additional physical condition imposed on the direction of EM energy transport." Optik 126 (2015) 2703–2705 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2015.06.053

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you should support your claim with that reference.

One job of a reviewer is to represent the readership of a journal. The reviewer's criticism is likely one that others in the community would would share.

Do you believe that this reference would be convincing to the community? I don't have access to it, so I cannot judge it directly. But I have not been too impressed by other solo-authored papers from the same author.

In any case, until your paper is actually published in the professional literature, it cannot be discussed here. You will need to work the rest of this out with the reviewers and editors.

1. What is Fermat's principle?

Fermat's principle is a fundamental concept in optics that states that the path taken by a ray of light between two points is the path that can be traversed in the least time. In other words, light travels along the path of shortest travel time.

2. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered to be one of the most important discoveries in the field of electromagnetism.

3. How are Fermat's principle and Maxwell's equations related?

Fermat's principle can be derived from Maxwell's equations by using the principle of least action. This principle states that the path taken by a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. In the case of light, the Lagrangian is equivalent to the travel time, and minimizing it leads to the same result as Fermat's principle.

4. Why is it important to derive Fermat's principle from Maxwell's equations?

Deriving Fermat's principle from Maxwell's equations allows us to understand the fundamental connection between the laws of electromagnetism and the behavior of light. It also provides a more rigorous and mathematically consistent approach to studying optics and light phenomena.

5. Are there any practical applications of this derivation?

Yes, there are several practical applications of this derivation. For example, it has been used to develop more accurate and efficient numerical methods for solving problems in optics and electromagnetism. It has also been applied to the design of optical systems, such as lenses and mirrors, to optimize their performance. Additionally, the derivation has helped to further our understanding of the physics behind phenomena such as refraction, reflection, and diffraction of light.