How Do Theta, Opposite Side, and Hypotenuse Relate in Trigonometry?

• B
  • Thread starter awholenumber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, we discussed the relationship between the angle theta, the opposite side length, and the hypotenuse side length in a right angled triangle. This relationship is determined by the sine function, which is defined as the opposite side length divided by the hypotenuse side length. The ratio between these two sides is always constant, and can be represented by the sine, cosine, or tangent function depending on the given angle. A ratio is a mathematical concept that represents the relationship between two numbers.
awholenumber
c0060c52d3.jpg

(the x , after the sin is the representation of angle in theta) and it also means ( opposite side length/ hypotenuse side length )

how are these things related ? i mean the angle in theta , the opposite side length / hypotenuse side length ... ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a given angle theta, the ratio of those two sides is always the same, no matter how large the triangle is. The relation between the two is the sine function by definition.

thanks ,

if you take a sin x , which is sin theta ... it means ... opposite side length / hypotenuse side length ...

the change in the angle is basically going to have no effects at all on the length of the sides of the right angled triangle ... right ?

also at the same time the ratio simply means ,opposite side length / hypotenuse side length ... right ?

for example ,

if you take sin x , and you are given the measurement of the sides of the right angled triangle ...

it again simply means , sin x is opposite side length / hypotenuse side length ...my problem was , i have always seen this like some sort of propagation of values ...

i still don't know why i see this ratio , opposite side length / hypotenuse side length like some sort of value that propagates ...

it is simply a constant value , or ratio of the outer lengths of the right angled triangle depending on the sine , cosine or tan function ??

which is also the ,

sin x , opposite side length/ hypotenuse side length
cos x , adjacent side length / hypotenuse side length
tan x , opposite side length / adjacent side length??

Last edited by a moderator:
rosekidcute said:
the change in the angle is basically going to have no effects at all on the length of the sides of the right angled triangle ... right ?
Which change? If you change the angle, the ratio changes as well.
rosekidcute said:
also at the same time the ratio simply means ,opposite side length / hypotenuse side length ... right ?
Yes, that's the ratio we are talking about.
rosekidcute said:
i have always seen this like some sort of propagation of values
What does that mean?
rosekidcute said:
it is simply a constant value , or ratio of the outer lengths of the right angled triangle depending on the sine , cosine or tan function ??
I don't understand that question.
rosekidcute said:
tan x , opposite side length / adjacent side length
That is the definition of the functions sine, cosine and tangent. Well, one of many possible equivalent definitions.

Do you understand what a function is?

thanks for the answers ... i have few more questions ...

i am really trying to understand a few things from the basics ...

i don't really understand what the word ratio , means in a triangle ...are we trying to find the length of that line passing between the

tan x , opposite side length / adjacent side length

?

I don't understand your question.

Consider the angle at the lower left in the 3/4/5 triangle (right side of your picture). The length of the opposite side is 4, the length of the hypotenuse is 5. The ratio of side lengths is 4/5=0.8.

thanks for making that part clear ... i was confused a lot about that particular part ...

i even had to look up the definitions of the word ratio itself ...

In mathematics, a ratio is a relationship between two numbers indicating how many times the first number contains the second

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and has many real-world applications.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions describe the ratios of the sides of a right triangle and are used to find missing sides and angles.

3. How do you find the values of trigonometric functions?

The values of trigonometric functions can be found by using a calculator or by using trigonometric tables. These values can also be calculated using the definitions of the functions and the Pythagorean theorem.

4. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is often used in trigonometry to find missing sides or angles.

5. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as in navigation, construction, and engineering. It is used to calculate distances, heights, angles, and other measurements in various fields, including astronomy, physics, and architecture.