Few questions about Lorentz force

In summary, there are two equations for the Lorentz force, F = qE + qv × B and F = qv × B, but the first one is typically used and the second is only used when there is no electric field present. The Lorentz force and the Poynting flux (E x B) are not always in the same direction and there is no reason to expect them to be.
Abdul.119
I have some confusion about the Lorentz force. First of all, I found that there are two equations for the Lorentz force: one of them is F = qE + qv × B , and the other one is just F = qv × B . What's the difference between them and how do you know which one to use?

My other question is: Is the Lorentz force always in the same direction as the Poynting Flux? since the Poynting Flux is also E cross B. If they are always in the same direction then what's the reason behind that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul.119 said:
I have some confusion about the Lorentz force. First of all, I found that there are two equations for the Lorentz force: one of them is F = qE + qv × B , and the other one is just F = qv × B . What's the difference between them and how do you know which one to use?
... you should be able to figure that out for yourself. What do the symbols mean and what does the presence of the qE in the first and it's absense in the second imply about the situation?

My other question is: Is the Lorentz force always in the same direction as the Poynting Flux? since the Poynting Flux is also E cross B. If they are always in the same direction then what's the reason behind that?
Again - you should be able to figure this out for yourself by considering what the symbols mean: compare the meanings of the symbols and be specific about which equations you are comparing. Is ##\vec E\times\vec B## always in the same direction as ##\vec v\times\vec B## ? What about when ##\vec E=0##, yet ##\vec v \neq 0##?

From my understanding v is the velocity of the particles in the field, but doesn't this velocity exist because there is an electric field? how can you have v but no E?

From my understanding v is the velocity of the particles in the field, but doesn't this velocity exist because there is an electric field? how can you have v but no E?
The charge could be a bb pellet that was fired from a gun ... maybe the charge is a particle emitted from nuclear decay... maybe it comes from solar radiation ... maybe it's glass bead someone rubbed on their sweater and then they threw it between magnets ... maybe the accelerating E field was 10000000ly away and it was very local? Maybe someone switched the electric field off but kept the magnets?

Abdul.119 said:
You always use the first one. You'll only see the second one when we're working with just magnetic fields, meaning that ##E## is 0 - and if ##E## is zero the two are equivalent.

But the Lorentz force is ##qv\times{B}## not ##E\times{B}##... These aren't the same thing and there's no reason to expect that they're pointing in the same direction.

Likes vanhees71 and Abdul.119

1. What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the force exerted on a charged particle when it is moving through an electric and magnetic field. It is named after the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz.

2. How is the Lorentz force calculated?

The Lorentz force is calculated using the equation F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. This equation takes into account both the electric and magnetic components of the force.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz force in everyday life?

The Lorentz force is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as the deflection of charged particles in a cathode ray tube, the operation of electric motors and generators, and the behavior of charged particles in the Earth's magnetic field. It is also a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and other advanced technologies.

4. How does the Lorentz force impact the motion of charged particles?

The Lorentz force can cause charged particles to be deflected or accelerated, depending on the direction and magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields. For example, in a uniform magnetic field, charged particles will move in a circular path, while in a uniform electric field, charged particles will experience a constant acceleration.

5. What is the relationship between the Lorentz force and special relativity?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental component of special relativity, which describes the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. The Lorentz force is used to calculate the relativistic mass of a charged particle, which increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light. This relationship is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments.