Feynman lectures - elastic materials - eqn 39.22

In summary: It is important to note that these relations are specific to linearly elastic materials, and may not hold for all materials and loading conditions.In summary, the elasticity tensor is a mathematical description of how a material responds to stress, and it can be calculated using the Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. The derivation of these relations can be found in standard texts on solid mechanics, and they are based on the principles of Hooke's Law.
lwymarie
I'm reading Feynman Lectures on Physics Volume 2 Chapter 39 on elastic materials. Equation 39.22 relates the elements in the elasticity tensor to the Young's modulus and the Poisson's ratio. I have no clue on how to get these relations myself.

For example, for C_xxxx, I think it should tell how the material is elongated in the x-direction in response to a stress in the x-direction. Hence I would suppose C_xxxx is just the Young's modulus Y, because this relation is just like F / A = Y * (delta l) / l.

Please kindly show me directions of how to derive these relations. You can find a copy of Feynman Lectures Vol 2 Ch 39 in http://student.fizika.org/~jsisko/Knjige/Opca%20Fizika/Feynman%20Lectures%20on%20Physics/Vol%202%20Ch%2039%20-%20Elastic%20Materials.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
. Equation 39.22 is on page 10.The derivation of the elements in the elasticity tensor can be found in many standard texts on solid mechanics, such as Timoshenko's Theory of Elasticity. The basic idea is that a stress in a given direction will cause a strain in the same direction. This strain can be determined by applying Hooke's Law, which states that the strain is proportional to the stress. The proportionality constant in this relationship is the Young's modulus (E) for a given material. Once the strain is known, the components of the elasticity tensor can be calculated using the following equations:C_xxxx = EC_yyyy = EC_zzzz = EC_xxyy = C_xyxy = C_xzxz = C_yxzy = E * vWhere v is the Poisson's ratio.These equations are derived by considering a material that is subjected to a uniform tensile or compressive load, and then calculating the resulting strain. By applying Hooke's Law, the components of the elasticity tensor can be determined.

What is Feynman's explanation for elastic materials?

Feynman's explanation for elastic materials is that they are materials that can return to their original shape after being deformed by an external force. This is due to the arrangement of atoms and molecules within the material, which allows for the material to stretch and then return to its original state once the force is removed.

What is the significance of eqn 39.22 in Feynman's lectures on elastic materials?

Equation 39.22 in Feynman's lectures on elastic materials is significant because it describes the relationship between stress and strain in a material. This equation, also known as Hooke's law, states that stress is directly proportional to strain, meaning that as a material is stretched, the stress on the material will also increase.

How does Feynman's explanation of elastic materials differ from traditional explanations?

Feynman's explanation of elastic materials differs from traditional explanations in that he focuses on the atomic and molecular level of the material. Instead of describing elasticity as a property of the material itself, Feynman explains it as a result of the structure and arrangement of the material's particles.

What are some real-life examples of elastic materials?

Some real-life examples of elastic materials include rubber bands, springs, and the human body. Rubber bands can stretch and return to their original shape, springs can compress and then expand back to their original length, and the human body's tendons and ligaments can stretch and then recoil.

What is the importance of understanding elasticity in materials?

Understanding elasticity in materials is important because it allows us to predict how a material will behave under stress and strain. This knowledge is crucial in designing and building structures and products that can withstand external forces without breaking or permanently deforming. It also helps us understand the behavior of natural materials, such as bones and muscles in the human body.