Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings Online for Free Listening

In summary: The data rate is 48 kbps because that's the maximum that can be compressed without loss of fidelity. Higher-quality audio files can be downloaded by going to www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu and clicking on "Download the Audio." You would then be given the option to download the audio in different formats. For copyright permission, contact Caltech's Permissions Office.
codelieb
Hello, everyone. I've made a number of announcements in this Forum about publications at The Feynman Lectures Website, but this is one I've long anticipated and am particularly happy to make: You can now listen to the original tape recordings of Feynman's famous Caltech Introductory Physics lectures, the basis of the book The Feynman Lectures on Physics, for free online at www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu.

These are not the commercially available recordings, which are edited and include an "announcer" added by the publisher. The (117) recordings we are publishing are the full archival tapes, which we digitized from the original 1/4" reel-to-reel tapes in 2010.

Included are some interesting and informative "after-lecture" (and "before-lecture") discussions between Feynman and his students and/or colleagues, which few people have heard. Also included are three full lecture recordings that have never been published before: one recording that is missing from the commercial publication (corresponding to FLP Vol. I, Chapter 23) and two recordings of lectures on Quantum Mechanics that Feynman gave twice, once in 1963 and again in 1964 (one version of each has been published in edited form, and now we are publishing both in unedited form).

The lecture recordings are available for listening two ways: (1) in each Chapter of the online edition of The Feynman Lectures on Physics an audio player (accessible through the navigation panel) has been added to play the recording(s) corresponding to that chapter, and (2) we publish a page in which the entire collection is available in one player with a very long playlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Likes Gravity_CK, kith, vanhees71 and 11 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This is really fantastic. You can gain so much from hearing his discussion live than from any edited piece of writing And having both available is really great.

Thanks to you and your team for all your hard work.

Likes vanhees71
You're welcome.

I listened to the first talk. It was classic Feynman speaking with precision to make his point about the laws of physics being unlike the laws of geometry. I could hear some audio artifacts but you and your team really cleaned them up nicely.

One thought I had was a kind of slide show presentation tied to the recording so that when he mentions a certain diagram or chart, its there to view. I know Khan Academy uses format of the invisible teacher narrating with visuals related to what is being said. This would mean creating a video of the talk though.

Likes vanhees71
That's great, hats off to you for all your hard work.
I noticed the data rate is 48 kbps and there are much higher-quality audio files. Is it possible to get higher-quality audio maybe 320kbps or something? Also, could I use those audio files in some educational animated videos? If possible, who should I contact for the copyright license?
Thanks again for all you have done.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are the Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings?

The Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings are a collection of audio recordings of lectures given by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in the early 1960s. These lectures cover a wide range of topics in physics, from basic principles to advanced concepts, and are considered a classic resource for anyone interested in physics.

2. Where can I find the Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings online?

The Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings are available for free listening on the official Caltech website. They can also be found on various other websites and online platforms, such as YouTube, iTunes, and Open Culture.

3. Are the Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings suitable for beginners?

While the lectures cover a wide range of topics and can be challenging for beginners, they are still a valuable resource for those just starting to learn about physics. Feynman's engaging teaching style and clear explanations make the lectures accessible to a wide audience.

4. Can I download the Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings for offline listening?

Yes, the recordings can be downloaded from the Caltech website or other online platforms for offline listening. However, please note that the lectures are copyrighted material and should not be distributed or used for commercial purposes without permission.

5. Are the Feynman Lectures on Physics Tape Recordings still relevant today?

Yes, the lectures are still relevant today as they cover fundamental principles and concepts that are the foundation of modern physics. While there have been advancements and discoveries in the field since the lectures were given, the core principles remain the same and the lectures provide a solid understanding of physics.