Fictitious forces in rotating frames of reference

In summary, the conversation revolved around the derivation of fictitious forces in rotating frames and the use of the transport theorem. The person was stuck on a specific proof and referred to a Wikipedia page for clarification. They questioned the use of the transport theorem and how it applies to any vector, using the example of velocity (v) and the resulting force (F). However, they forgot to consider the mass of the particle, which should be taken into account when calculating the force.
bigerst
I got stuck going over the derivation of fictitious forces in rotating frames.
see specifically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_reference_frame#Time_derivatives_in_the_two_frames
this page to see the proof I'm talking about
(sorry i'd love to be able to explain it by myself but wikipedia page is so much clearer)
the part I'm stuck on is the use of the transport theorem, it's supposed to work on any vectors right?
so let Q be any vector
then
dQ/dt = dQ'/dt + w×Q
so what if i let Q = v, the velocity of the particle, doesn't this directly giv
F =F' + w×v

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I DID WRONG!

Physics news on Phys.org
you forgot about the mass of the particle. dv/dt is the acceleration, not the force

Related to Fictitious forces in rotating frames of reference

1. What are fictitious forces in rotating frames of reference?

Fictitious forces, also known as inertial forces, are forces that appear to act on objects in a non-inertial (rotating or accelerating) frame of reference. These forces are not actually present, but rather are a result of the frame of reference itself.

2. How do fictitious forces affect objects in a rotating frame of reference?

Fictitious forces can cause objects to appear to experience acceleration or movement, even though there is no actual force acting on them. This is due to the fact that the frame of reference is rotating, which creates the illusion of forces acting on objects.

3. Can fictitious forces be measured or observed?

No, fictitious forces cannot be directly measured or observed. They are a result of the chosen frame of reference and do not have a physical manifestation. However, their effects can be seen in the behavior of objects within the frame of reference.

4. How are fictitious forces different from actual forces?

Fictitious forces are different from actual forces in that they do not arise from a physical interaction between objects. Actual forces, such as gravity or friction, occur due to a direct interaction between objects. Fictitious forces, on the other hand, are a result of the choice of frame of reference.

5. Can fictitious forces be accounted for in calculations and equations?

Yes, fictitious forces can be mathematically accounted for in calculations and equations. They are typically included in the equations of motion for objects in a rotating frame of reference in order to accurately describe their behavior. However, these forces do not have a physical origin and are only used to correctly predict the motion of objects within the frame of reference.