Field Extensions - Dummit and Foote - Exercise 13, Section 13.2 .... ....

In summary, Peter is attempting to solve an equation involving the dimension of a field over a set of roots, but he is stuck. He is helped by another user who provides a rigorous argument that [ F_i \ : \ F_{ i - 1 }] may be equal to 2.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 13 - Field Theory.

I am currently studying Section 13.2 : Algebraic Extensions

I need some help with Exercise 13 of Section 13.2 ... ... indeed, I have not been able to make a meaningful start on the problem

Exercise 13 of Section 13.2 reads as follows:
View attachment 6611
Definitions that may be relevant to solving this exercise include the following:View attachment 6612A result which seems relevant is Lemma 16 plus the remarks that follow its proof ... Lemma 16 and the following remarks read as follows:
View attachment 6613
As indicated above I need help in order to make a meaningful or significant start on the solution to this exercise .. ...

One thought, though ... there must be some way to use \(\displaystyle \alpha_i^2 \in \mathbb{Q}\) ... perhaps in establishing the dimension of \(\displaystyle F( \alpha_1 , \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ \ \alpha_{k + 1} )\) over \(\displaystyle F( \alpha_1 , \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ \ \alpha_{k } )\) ... and hence getting some knowledge of \(\displaystyle F( \alpha_1 , \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ \ \alpha_n )\) over \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) ... but even if we do gain such knowledge, how do we use it to show \(\displaystyle \sqrt [3]{2} \notin F\) ... ...

... AND FURTHER ... anyway ... what is implied by \(\displaystyle \alpha_i^2 \in \mathbb{Q}\) ... ... ?
Help will be much appreciated ...Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Let $F_0 = \Bbb Q$, $F_1 = \Bbb Q(\alpha_1)$, and $F_i = F_{i-1}(\alpha_i)$ for $1 \le i \le n$. Show that $[F_i:F_{i-1}]$ is either $1$ or $2$. Deduce that $[F:\Bbb Q]$ is a power of $2$. By degree considerations show that $\sqrt[3]{2}\notin F$.

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

Let $F_0 = \Bbb Q$, $F_1 = \Bbb Q(\alpha_1)$, and $F_i = F_{i-1}(\alpha_i)$ for $1 \le i \le n$. Show that $[F_i:F_{i-1}]$ is either $1$ or $2$. Deduce that $[F:\Bbb Q]$ is a power of $2$. By degree considerations show that $\sqrt[3]{2}\notin F$.
Hi Euge ... thanks for the help ...

You advise that I show that \(\displaystyle [ F_i \ : \ F_{ i - 1 }]\) is either 1 or 2 ...

Now we are given that \(\displaystyle \alpha_i^2 \in \mathbb{Q}\)

Now ... \(\displaystyle \alpha_i^2 \in \mathbb{Q} \Longrightarrow \alpha_i\) is a root of a polynomial \(\displaystyle x^2 - r\) where \(\displaystyle r \in \mathbb{Q}\) Now, \(\displaystyle \alpha_i \) being the root of \(\displaystyle x^2 - r\) seems to imply that \(\displaystyle x^2 - r\) is the minimum polynomial for \(\displaystyle \alpha_i\) and for the extension \(\displaystyle F_i / F_{i - 1}\) ... ... BUT ... ... that is only true if \(\displaystyle x^2 - r\) is irreducible ... and it will not be if \(\displaystyle \alpha_i \in \mathbb{Q}\) ... which it may be ... then \(\displaystyle x^2 - r = (x - \alpha_i ) (x + \alpha_i ) \) ... that is \(\displaystyle x^2 - r\) is reducible ... and the minimal polynomial is \(\displaystyle x - \alpha_i\) and is of degree 1 ... ... so that \(\displaystyle [ F_i \ : \ F_{ i - 1 }] = 1 \) ... ... Is that set of remarks basically correct ...?How do argue rigorously that \(\displaystyle [ F_i \ : \ F_{ i - 1 }]\) may be 2 ... I think it is 2 if \(\displaystyle \alpha_i \notin \mathbb{Q}\) ... is that right ... but what is the rigorous and precise argument that \(\displaystyle [ F_i \ : \ F_{ i - 1 }]\) may be equal to 2 ... ...Can you help ... I am a bit unsure on this matter ...

Peter
NOTE 1 ... Despite being unsure ... I may have (almost) made an argument for \(\displaystyle [ F_i \ : \ F_{ i - 1 }] \) being either 1 or 2 ...

NOTE 2 ... I acknowledge some help from the Physics Forums ...

You have the right idea, but you're overthinking this a bit. Since $\alpha_i$ is a root of a quadratic polynomial in $F_{i-1}[x]$, its minimal polynomial over $F_{i-1}$ has degree no greater than $2$, and thus $[F_{i-1}(\alpha_i) : F_{i-1}] \le 2$, i.e., $[F_i:F_{i-1}]$ is either $1$ or $2$. That's all we need.

Euge said:
You have the right idea, but you're overthinking this a bit. Since $\alpha_i$ is a root of a quadratic polynomial in $F_{i-1}[x]$, its minimal polynomial over $F_{i-1}$ has degree no greater than $2$, and thus $[F_{i-1}(\alpha_i) : F_{i-1}] \le 2$, i.e., $[F_i:F_{i-1}]$ is either $1$ or $2$. That's all we need.
Thanks Euge ... ... think I get the idea ...

Essentially then, it follows that ...

\(\displaystyle [ F \ : \ \mathbb{Q}] = 2^k\) where \(\displaystyle 0 \le k \le n\)
Now to complete the exercise ... ... suppose \(\displaystyle \sqrt [3]{2} \in F\) ... ... ( ... and try for a contradiction ... )Then since \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt [3]{2} ) \subseteq F \)... we have that ...\(\displaystyle [ F \ : \ \mathbb{Q} ] = [ F \ : \ \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt [3]{2} ) ] [ \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt [3]{2} ) \ : \ \mathbb{Q}] \)So that \(\displaystyle 2^k = [ F \ : \ \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt [3]{2} ) ] 3\)... BUT ... \(\displaystyle 3\) does not divide \(\displaystyle 2^k\) ... ... Contradiction!So \(\displaystyle \sqrt [3]{2} \notin F \)
Can someone please confirm that the above is correct ... ...

Peter

Now you've got it! Great job!

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that involves extending a given field by adjoining new elements to it. This is done in order to create a larger field that contains the original field and the new elements.

2. How are field extensions related to algebraic extensions?

Field extensions are a type of algebraic extension, which is a field extension that is also an algebraic structure. This means that the elements in the extension field satisfy polynomial equations with coefficients from the original field.

3. What is the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is the dimension of the extension field as a vector space over the original field. This can also be thought of as the number of elements needed to generate the extension field.

4. Can all field extensions be expressed as simple extensions?

No, not all field extensions can be expressed as simple extensions, which are extensions generated by a single element. There are also composite extensions, which are generated by multiple elements.

5. What is the significance of separable field extensions?

Separable field extensions are important because they have certain nice properties that make them easier to work with. For example, every finite extension of a finite field is separable, and separable extensions have a well-defined notion of a primitive element.