Fields worth pursuing -- 2018 update

• Other
  • Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, if you are planning to pursue a computer science degree, you should also consider other STEM degrees.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! Back in 2014, I had posted the following about what field(s) you would encourage someone to pursue:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-actually-encourage-someone-to-pursue.742424/

Since the above thread is no longer open for new replies, I thought I would revive the discussion here. Specifically, as of 2018, what field(s) would you encourage someone to pursue, based on current and possible future demand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Data science and deep learning projects are popping up everywhere so it would be wise to capitalize on the phase now. In five years though, things will be even more automated with less emphasis on deep learning and general programming skills like databases or web programming... will then help you succeed.

jedishrfu said:
Data science and deep learning projects are popping up everywhere so it would be wise to capitalize on the phase now. In five years though, things will be even more automated with less emphasis on deep learning and general programming skills like databases or web programming... will then help you succeed.

Would you thus suggest that students in college/university should thus pursue a computer science degree above other STEM degrees then?

Oh no, I think they should pursue the STEM degree of choice and then augment it with CS courses. With a CS degree alone, your jobs will be limited to CS jobs as you won't understand the terminology in the eyes of the employer for other positions. The notion is I hire the degree for the job I'm offering and look to see how versatile they are with respect to CS work so a CS major with STEM background would not be preferred over an engineer with some CS courses for an engineering jobs.

BMEs ran into this problem a few years ago, where employers would want an ME not half an ME (BME = Biology + ME) or they'd say I want a biologist not half a biologist. Now I think they are hiring BMEs as BMEs as employers are seeing the true value in the degree.

The same is true with CS vs STEM if you choose STEM then augment with CS. If you choose CS and augment with STEM then you must be more careful in the jobs you apply to, looking for ones that definitely want a CS major and hope that they have ME, or EE or Physics or Biology or Chemistry... courses for the particular job being offered. (CS job for genomics software tools company as an example)

These are just my opinions and others here may offer counter arguments or similar experiences.

Last edited:
I finished my undergraduate degree in electrical engineer during December. The degree was more hardware/analogue concentrated and I had several internship experience to help with offers- received multiple offers I felt were competitive despite having a GPA a bit on the low side. I'm not sure if this may help.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What are the current trends in fields worth pursuing in 2018?

The current trends in fields worth pursuing in 2018 include artificial intelligence, data science, renewable energy, biotechnology, and cybersecurity.

2. How do I determine which field is worth pursuing?

Determining which field is worth pursuing depends on various factors such as your interests, skills, job market demand, and potential for growth and innovation. It is important to research and consider all these aspects before making a decision.

3. What are the potential career opportunities in fields worth pursuing?

The potential career opportunities in fields worth pursuing are vast and constantly evolving. Some examples include becoming a data scientist, renewable energy engineer, biotechnologist, or cybersecurity analyst. These fields also offer opportunities for entrepreneurship and research.

4. Are there any risks associated with pursuing a field?

Like any other career path, pursuing a field also comes with its own risks. Some potential risks include job market saturation, technological advancements rendering certain skills obsolete, and limited funding for research and development. However, these can be mitigated by staying updated and continuously developing new skills.

5. Is it ever too late to pursue a field?

No, it is never too late to pursue a field. People often switch careers or pursue new interests at different stages of their lives. With dedication, hard work, and continuous learning, it is possible to excel in any field at any age.