Finance BS regret - 2nd degree in ME Engineering?

In summary, the person is a finance major, has a great GPA, but is unmotivated to pursue a career in the business or finance industry. They are interested in science, math, and technology, but think that it is important to have the performance and aptitude for these subjects in order to pursue a career in these fields. They are considering attending a community college to obtain an Associates Degree in Engineering in order to transfer to a nearby four-year school to complete their undergraduate degree.
Fede0122
Thank god I found this website! Bear with me, its a bit of a long explanation before the question..
So let me start by saying that I'm a finance major, senior year, excellent GPA, but tremendously unmotivated for prospective business/finance industry. I love sciences, I love maths and I've always had this huge crush on anything relating technology/mechanical structures, processes etc. I know that love alone for these subjects is not enough, performance and aptitude for them are crucial, from an academic/intellectual point of view I'm fairly good at STEM subjects. Even though my school didn't required CALC I for finance I took it already, got to love those integrals!. I'll be taking Calc II fall and Calc III during Spring just before I graduate. I want to get a mechanical engineering degree after I graduate... but there's a catch

The thing is I'm a foreign student meaning my options are limited. For the sake of simplicity I have to get a job in the finance sector after I graduate so I can stay in the U.S, love KC ... specially those sweet bbq ribs around here!. Problem is I can't stay in school to start engineering BS, my visa doesn't allows it, if I want to stay I need a job in the financial industry. My idea, bit nuts and all, was to work full time while I attend Community College for an Associates Degree in Engineering... possible ? ... and then transfer to a nearby 4year school to finish it, having already knocked off my Gen Ed courses and Calc I-III would make the workload easier? or would I have to take them all over again? Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you post this thread twice?

My bad, thought first post was on the wrong section

1. What is a "Finance BS regret"?

A "Finance BS regret" refers to the feeling of regret or disappointment that one may experience after obtaining a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance. This can occur when the individual realizes that they are not satisfied with their chosen career path or that their degree may not have been the best fit for their interests and skills.

2. Can a person with a degree in Mechanical Engineering pursue a career in finance?

Yes, a person with a degree in Mechanical Engineering can certainly pursue a career in finance. While their background may not be in finance, they may have transferable skills such as problem-solving, analytical thinking, and attention to detail that are highly valued in the finance industry. Additionally, they can also consider obtaining a Master's degree in a finance-related field to enhance their knowledge and qualifications.

3. Is it common for someone to have regrets about their degree in Engineering after pursuing a degree in Finance?

It is not uncommon for individuals to have regrets about their degree in Engineering after pursuing a degree in Finance. This could be due to a variety of reasons such as a change in interests or realizing that their skills and strengths may align better with a different field. However, it is important to remember that every experience and education can be valuable and can contribute to one's overall career growth.

4. Are there any benefits to having both a degree in Finance and Mechanical Engineering?

Having both a degree in Finance and Mechanical Engineering can provide a unique and diverse skill set to an individual. This can make them stand out in the job market and open up opportunities in both industries. They may also have a better understanding of the financial aspects of engineering projects, which can be beneficial in their career.

5. How can someone with a degree in Mechanical Engineering make a career transition to finance?

There are several ways in which someone with a degree in Mechanical Engineering can make a career transition to finance. They can start by networking and connecting with professionals in the finance industry, and gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs. They can also consider pursuing additional education or certifications in finance to enhance their knowledge and skills. It's important to highlight transferable skills and showcase a strong interest in the field during the job search process.