Find an integer having the remainders ## 1, 2, 5, 5 ##

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, when x is an integer, it is equal to 1, 2, 5, or 12 depending on whether or not it is a multiple of 2, 3, or 4 respectively.
Math100
Homework Statement
Find an integer having the remainders ## 1, 2, 5, 5 ## when divided by ## 2, 3, 6, 12 ##, respectively. (Yih-hing, died ## 717 ##).
Relevant Equations
None.
Let ## x ## be an integer.
Then ## x\equiv 1\pmod {2}, x\equiv 2\pmod {3}, x\equiv 5\pmod {6} ## and ## x\equiv 5\pmod {12} ##.
Note that ## x\equiv 5\pmod {6}\implies x\equiv 5\pmod {2\cdot 3} ## and ## x\equiv 5\pmod {12}\implies x\equiv 5\pmod {3\cdot 4} ##.
Since ## gcd(2, 3)=1 ## and ## gcd(3, 4)=1 ##, it follows that ## x\equiv 1\pmod {4} ##.
This means ## x\equiv 2\pmod {3} ## and ## x\equiv 1\pmod {4} ##.
Now we have ## x=2+3a ## where ## a=1+4b ## for some ## a, b\in\mathbb{N} ##.
Thus ## x=2+3a=2+3(1+4b)=5+12b=5+12(1)=17 ##.
Therefore, the integer is ## 17 ##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is ##a\equiv 1 \pmod{5}?##.

You get directly from the given conditions that ##x=12k+5.## From that, ##x\equiv 1\pmod{2}\, , \,x\equiv 2\pmod{3}## and ##x\equiv 5\pmod{6}## follows automatically. So ##x=12k+5## is actually all we have, and conversely, all numbers ##12k+5## fulfill the criteria, e.g. ##x=5.##

Likes topsquark
fresh_42 said:
Why is ##a\equiv 1 \pmod{5}?##.

You get directly from the given conditions that ##x=12k+5.## From that, ##x\equiv 1\pmod{2}\, , \,x\equiv 2\pmod{3}## and ##x\equiv 5\pmod{6}## follows automatically. So ##x=12k+5## is actually all we have, and conversely, all numbers ##12k+5## fulfill the criteria, e.g. ##x=5.##
I don't understand your question about why is ## a\equiv 1\pmod {5} ##. But I found out that all ## 2, 3, 6 ## divide ## 12 ##, so the system of linear congruences is consistent. And that is why I got ## x=5+12b ## at the end.

Math100 said:
I don't understand your question about why is ## a\equiv 1\pmod {5} ##.
Typo, I meant ##\pmod{4}.##
Math100 said:
But I found out that all ## 2, 3, 6 ## divide ## 12 ##, so the system of linear congruences is consistent. And that is why I got ## x=5+12b ## at the end.
You can get this right from the start from ##x\equiv 5\pmod{12}## without any calculation.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Typo, I meant ##\pmod{4}.##

You can get this right from the start from ##x\equiv 5\pmod{12}## without any calculation.
So how would you show the work for this problem?

Math100 said:
So how would you show the work for this problem?
##x\equiv 5\pmod{12} \Longrightarrow x=12k+5## for some ##k\in \mathbb{Z}.##
Conversely, any number ##x=12k+5## fulfills all given conditions and are such valid solutions.

The smallest solution is for ##k=0## that means ##x=5.##

• Wow
Likes DrClaude, topsquark and Math100
fresh_42 said:
##x\equiv 5\pmod{12} \Longrightarrow x=12k+5## for some ##k\in \mathbb{Z}.##
Conversely, any number ##x=12k+5## fulfills all given conditions and are such valid solutions.

The smallest solution is for ##k=0## that means ##x=5.##
That was short.

As a comment, you may also use the Chinese Remainder Theorem. Just need to make sure the remainder is indeed Chinese ;).

1. How do you find an integer with specific remainders?

To find an integer with remainders ## 1, 2, 5, 5 ## when divided by certain numbers, we can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem. This theorem helps us solve systems of congruences and find a unique solution that satisfies all the given remainders.

2. Can you explain the Chinese Remainder Theorem in simple terms?

The Chinese Remainder Theorem states that if we have a system of congruences with pairwise relatively prime moduli, then there exists a unique solution that satisfies all the congruences. By solving this system, we can find an integer that leaves the specified remainders when divided by the given numbers.

3. Why is it important to have pairwise relatively prime moduli in the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

Having pairwise relatively prime moduli ensures that the system of congruences is well-defined and has a unique solution. If the moduli are not relatively prime, then the solution might not be unique, and it becomes more challenging to find an integer that satisfies all the remainders.

4. Are there any specific steps to follow when using the Chinese Remainder Theorem?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when using the Chinese Remainder Theorem. First, we need to express the given remainders as congruences. Then, we solve the system of congruences using the theorem to find the unique integer that meets all the specified remainders.

5. Can the Chinese Remainder Theorem be applied to find integers with different sets of remainders?

Yes, the Chinese Remainder Theorem can be applied to find integers with different sets of remainders. As long as the moduli are pairwise relatively prime, the theorem can help us find a unique integer that satisfies the given remainders when divided by those numbers.