Find area of shaded region

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, Opalg provided a solution to a primary math problem involving a figure made up of a circle, identical semicircles, and a square. The area of the regions with all those number labels was calculated, and it was found that the area between the semicircle and the whole circle was $24\pi - 18\sqrt3$. Opalg then provided the solutions to the four equations that were needed to solve the problem.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hello all!

It is so embarrassing to ask because I would think there is a trick to solve this problem without going through the trigonometric formulas like sine rule for example (because this is a primary math problem) but for some reason, I can't see through it...if you can solve it without using any of the trigonometric formulas, can you please enlighten me? Many thanks!

The figure is made up of a circle, identical semicircles and a square of side 12 cm. What is the area of the regions with all those number labels?
[TIKZ]
\draw (0,-3) rectangle (6,3);
\begin{scope}
\draw (3,0) circle(3);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (0,-3) arc (-90:90:3cm);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (6,-3) arc (-90:-270:3cm);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (0,3) arc (-180:0:3cm);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (6,-3) arc (0:180:3cm);
\end{scope}
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (0.15,-1.8);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (1.5,2.6);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (4.5,2.6);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (5.8,1.3);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (5.8,-1.7);
\coordinate[label=above: 2] (2) at (3,2);
\coordinate[label=above: 2] (2) at (5,-0.3);
\coordinate[label=above: 3] (3) at (4.2,0.8);
\coordinate[label=above: 4] (4) at (5.5,2.3);
[/TIKZ]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the notation $w = $ area of region 1, $x = $ area of region 2, $y = $ area of region 3, $z =$ are of region 4.

We want four equations for these four unknowns, and it's easy to get three equations:

Area of the whole square gives $8w + 4x + 4y + 4z = 144$, so $2w+x+y+z = 36$;
Area of the whole circle gives $4x+4y = 36\pi$, so $x+y=9\pi$;
Area of one of the semicircles gives $2w+x+2y+2z = 18\pi$.

But we need a fourth equation, and that is less obvious. I think the best route is to calculate the area between the whole circle and one of the semicircles. The triangle whose vertices are the centre of the semicircle, the centre of the whole circle, and one of their points of intersection, is equilateral with side $6$ (the red triangle in the diagram below). So its angles are $60^\circ$. The sector of the semicircle between the blue and red radii is therefore one-third of a whole circle and so has area $12\pi$. The triangle with vertices at the centre of the semicircle and the two points of intersection with the whole circle (with two blue sides and one red side in the diagram) has area $9\sqrt3$. Subtracting that from the area of the sector, and multiplying by $2$, you see that the area between the semicircle and the whole circle is $24\pi - 18\sqrt3$. That gives you the fourth equation, $x+2y = 24\pi - 18\sqrt3$.

Now all you have to do is to solve the four equations. I got the answers as
$w = 36 - 9\sqrt3 - 6\pi$,
$x = 18\sqrt3 - 6\pi$,
$y = 15\pi - 19\sqrt3$,
$z = 3\pi - 18(2-\sqrt3)$.
But I haven't checked those calculations so I may well have made errors.

[TIKZ]\draw (0,-3) rectangle (6,3);
\begin{scope}
\draw (3,0) circle(3);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (0,-3) arc (-90:90:3cm);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (6,-3) arc (-90:-270:3cm);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (0,3) arc (-180:0:3cm);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}
\draw (6,-3) arc (0:180:3cm);
\end{scope}
\draw[red] (0,0) -- (1.5,2.6) -- (3,0) -- cycle ;
\draw[blue] (1.5,2.6) -- (1.5,-2.6) -- (0,0) ;
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (0.15,-1.8);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (1.5,2.6);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (4.5,2.6);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (5.8,1.3);
\coordinate[label=above: 1] (1) at (5.8,-1.7);
\coordinate[label=above: 2] (2) at (3,2);
\coordinate[label=above: 2] (2) at (5,-0.3);
\coordinate[label=above: 3] (3) at (4.2,0.8);
\coordinate[label=above: 4] (4) at (5.5,2.3);[/TIKZ]

Awesome, Opalg! (Cool) Thanks for the insightful solution, and your answers for $w,\,x$ and $z$ are correct, but I believe you made a typo in the value for $y$, the $-19\sqrt{3}$ should be $-18\sqrt{3}$.

What is the shaded region?

The shaded region is a section of a larger shape or figure that is highlighted or colored in a different shade to indicate a specific area of interest.

How do I find the area of a shaded region?

To find the area of a shaded region, you must first identify the shape or shapes that make up the shaded region. Then, use the appropriate formula for finding the area of that shape (e.g. A = bh for a rectangle, A = πr² for a circle). Finally, subtract any overlapping or unshaded areas from the total area to get the area of the shaded region.

What if there are multiple shaded regions?

If there are multiple shaded regions, you can find the area of each individual region using the method described above. Then, add all of the areas together to get the total area of all the shaded regions combined.

Can I estimate the area of a shaded region?

Yes, you can estimate the area of a shaded region by breaking it down into smaller, familiar shapes and finding their individual areas. Then, add these areas together to get an approximate total area for the shaded region.

What are some real-world applications of finding the area of shaded regions?

Finding the area of shaded regions is useful in many fields, including architecture, engineering, and landscaping. It can also be used to calculate the area of a room or outdoor space for purposes such as painting or gardening.