Find Left Cosets of Subgroup in $\mathbb{Z}_{15}, D_4$

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the left cosets of a given subgroup in two different groups: $\mathbb{Z}_{15}$ and $D_4$. In $\mathbb{Z}_{15}$, the group operation is additive and the notation $g+H$ is used for cosets. The definition of left cosets is $\left\{gh: g \in G, h \in H\right\}$. It is noted that there are only five cosets, each consisting of three elements. In $D_4$, the group operation is not specified, but the notation $y$ denotes rotation of a square and $z$ denotes reflection in a line joining the midpoints of two opposite
NoName3
How do I find the left cosets of:

$(a)$ $\left\{ [0], [5], [10] \right\} \le \mathbb{Z}_{15}$ ($\mathbb{Z}_n$ is additive group modulo $n$).

$(b)$ $\left\{e, y, y^2, y^3 \right\} \le D_4$ where $y$ denotes rotation of a square.

The not equal to here denotes subgroup. The trouble I've with the first one is that I'm finding too many left cosets. The definition of left cosets is $\left\{gh: g \in G, h \in H\right\}$. In this case if I let $h = 0$ and vary $g$ through $0$ to $14$ then my set contains fifteen members. Well, that can't right surely? I think there's a theorem that says my subgroup can only have five left cosets (not too sure if that's right).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NoName said:
How do I find the left cosets of:

$(a)$ $\left\{ [0], [5], [10] \right\} \le \mathbb{Z}_{15}$ ($\mathbb{Z}_n$ is additive group modulo $n$).

$(a)$ $\left\{e, y, y^2, y^3 \right\} \le D_4$ where $y$ denotes rotation of a square.

The not equal to here denotes subgroup. The trouble I've with the first one is that I'm finding too many left cosets. The definition of left cosets is $\left\{gh: g \in G, h \in H\right\}$. In this case if I let $h = 0$ and vary $g$ through $0$ to $14$ then my set contains fifteen members. Well, that can't right surely? I think there's a theorem that says my subgroup can only have five left cosets (not too sure if that's right).
In $(a)$, the group operation in $\mathbb{Z}_n$ is additive, so it is usual to use the notation $g+H$ rather than $gH$ for the cosets. If for example the group is $\mathbb{Z}_{15}$, the subgroup is $H = \left\{ [0], [5], [10] \right\}$ and we take $g$ to be the element $[1]$, then the coset $[1] + H$ consists of the elements $[1]+[0]$, $[1]+[5]$ and $[1]+[10].$ That gives you the coset $\left\{ [1], [6], [11] \right\}.$ If you carry on like that, you will find that there are indeed five cosets (each consisting of three elements).

Opalg said:
In $(a)$, the group operation in $\mathbb{Z}_n$ is additive, so it is usual to use the notation $g+H$ rather than $gH$ for the cosets. If for example the group is $\mathbb{Z}_{15}$, the subgroup is $H = \left\{ [0], [5], [10] \right\}$ and we take $g$ to be the element $[1]$, then the coset $[1] + H$ consists of the elements $[1]+[0]$, $[1]+[5]$ and $[1]+[10].$ That gives you the coset $\left\{ [1], [6], [11] \right\}.$ If you carry on like that, you will find that there are indeed five cosets (each consisting of three elements).
Thank you. I was counting the elements of the cosets, not cosets. I have now found that:

$g+H = \left\{ \left\{[0], [5], [10]\right\}, \left\{[1], [6], [11]\right\}, \left\{[2], [7], [12]\right\}, \left\{[3], [8], [13]\right\}, \left\{[4], [9], [14]\right\} \right\}.$

Regarding $(2)$ is it possible to define $D_4$ the way $D_6$ is defined in here i.e. $D_6 = \left\{x^i, yx^i: 0 \le i \le 5 \right\}$?

NoName said:
Thank you. I was counting the elements of the cosets, not cosets. I have now found that:

$g+H = \left\{ \left\{[0], [5], [10]\right\}, \left\{[1], [6], [11]\right\}, \left\{[2], [7], [12]\right\}, \left\{[3], [8], [13]\right\}, \left\{[4], [9], [14]\right\} \right\}.$
Correct. (Yes)

NoName said:
Regarding $(2)$ is it possible to define $D_4$ the way $D_6$ is defined in here i.e. $D_6 = \left\{x^i, yx^i: 0 \le i \le 5 \right\}$?
Yes, except that there is a clash of notation. The $y$ in your $D_4$ corresponds to the $x$ in Wolfram's $D_6$. So your $D_4$ should consist of elements $e,\,y,\,y^2,\,y^3,\,z,\,zy,\,zy^2,\,zy^3$, satisfying the relation $yz = zy^3.$

If you are viewing the group as symmetries of a square then $y$ represents a rotation of $90^\circ$ and $z$ represents reflection in a line joining the midpoints of two opposite edges.

Opalg said:
Correct. (Yes)Yes, except that there is a clash of notation. The $y$ in your $D_4$ corresponds to the $x$ in Wolfram's $D_6$. So your $D_4$ should consist of elements $e,\,y,\,y^2,\,y^3,\,z,\,zy,\,zy^2,\,zy^3$, satisfying the relation $yz = zy^3.$

If you are viewing the group as symmetries of a square then $y$ represents a rotation of $90^\circ$ and $z$ represents reflection in a line joining the midpoints of two opposite edges.
Thanks again!

I think in finding $gH$ letting $g = e$ we find the first coset $\left\{e, y, y^2, y^3\right\}$ and letting $g = z$ we get $\left\{z, zy, zy^2, zy^3\right\} =\left\{z, y^3z, y^2z, yz\right\}. $

Lagrange's theorem says that the number of left cosets is exactly $|G|/|H|$ which is $8/4 = 2$ here so there are none more to find.

Last edited:

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. In other words, it contains elements that can be combined using the group operation and still remain within the subgroup.

2. How do you find left cosets of a subgroup?

To find left cosets of a subgroup, you first need to determine the elements of the subgroup. Then, you can multiply each element of the subgroup by every element of the original group to find the left cosets. The resulting sets will be the left cosets of the subgroup.

3. What is $\mathbb{Z}_{15}$?

$\mathbb{Z}_{15}$, also known as the integers modulo 15, is a group that consists of the integers from 0 to 14 with the group operation being addition modulo 15. This means that after adding two integers, the result is reduced to the remainder when divided by 15.

4. What is $D_4$?

$D_4$ is the dihedral group of order 8, which is the group of symmetries of a square. It consists of 8 elements, including rotations and reflections of a square, and is denoted as D4 or Dih4.

5. How many left cosets can be found in $\mathbb{Z}_{15}, D_4$?

The number of left cosets in $\mathbb{Z}_{15}, D_4$ is equal to the index of the subgroup within the group. Since the subgroup in this case is of order 5, the index is 3. Therefore, there are 3 left cosets in $\mathbb{Z}_{15}, D_4$.