Find Mole % of N2H4 in Mixture: Homework Statement

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mole Percent
In summary, the initial partial pressures of NH3 and N2H4 in a sealed container at 300K are 0.5atm each. After decomposition at 1200K, the total pressure is found to be 4.5atm, with the mole fraction of N2H4 in the original mixture being 0.25 or 25%. This was calculated by expressing the initial and final pressures as functions of the partial pressures and using stoichiometry to relate the initial and final number of moles of the gases.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A mixture of NH3 and N2H4 is placed in a sealed container at 300K. The total pressure is 0.5atm. The container is heated to 1200K, when both substances decompose completely according to the equations,
2NH3--->N2+3H2
N2H4--->N2+2H2
After decomposition is complete, the total pressure at 1200K is found to be 4.5atm. Find the mole percent of N2H4 in the original mixture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not getting any idea on how to start.
Please give me some ideas on beginning with it.

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the initial partial pressures of both were p0 and p1.

Can you express both initial and final pressures as functions of p0 and p1?

Borek said:
Assume the initial partial pressures of both were p0 and p1.

Can you express both initial and final pressures as functions of p0 and p1?

I can express initial pressure like this:-
p0= 0.5 x XNH3
p1= 0.5 x XN2H4

XNH3--> mole fraction of NH3
XN2H4---->mole fraction of N2H4.

But i don't have the moles. :(

Why not p0 + p1 = 0.5 atm?

You don't need moles - you can express molar fraction using just total and partial pressures.

Borek said:
Why not p0 + p1 = 0.5 atm?

You don't need moles - you can express molar fraction using just total and partial pressures.

Yes, we can do p0+p1=0.5 atm.

But why then we need molar fraction here?

Molar fraction, mole percent - same thing, just expressed in slightly different way. That's what you have to calculate, aren't you?

Borek said:
Molar fraction, mole percent - same thing, just expressed in slightly different way. That's what you have to calculate, aren't you?

Yeah I have to calculate that.

I am having problems finding the final pressure. The gases has changed to N2 and H2. What should i do now?

You can find ratio between initial and final number of moles from the stoichiometry. A volume doesn't change, number of moles is directly related to the pressure.

Sorry Borek. I did not replied to this post for a long time. :)

I worked on your hints and they proved to be very useful. I was only stuck at the stoichiometric calculation which was the easiest part. :P

Here's how i solved it:-

I assumed moles of NH3 as 'a' and that of N2H4 as 'b'.

Then using stoichiometry i found the total moles of N2 as [itex]\frac{a+2b}{2}[/itex] and of H2 as [itex]\frac{3a+4b}{2}[/itex].

Before decomposition, using ideal gas equation:-
(0.5V)/(300R)=(a+b)

After decomposition, using ideal gas equation:-
(4.5V)/(1200R)=(2a+3b)

After solving, i get a=3b.

Mole fraction of N2H4= (b)/(a+b)=b/4b=0.25

Since we are asked to find mole percent, therefore 0.25*100=25%.

Thanks for the help Borek. :smile:

Related to Find Mole % of N2H4 in Mixture: Homework Statement

1. What is the formula for calculating mole % of N2H4 in a mixture?

The formula for calculating mole % of N2H4 in a mixture is: (moles of N2H4 / total moles of all components in mixture) x 100%.

2. How do I determine the moles of N2H4 in a mixture?

To determine the moles of N2H4 in a mixture, you will need to know the mass or volume of the mixture and the molar mass of N2H4. You can then use the formula: moles = mass (or volume) / molar mass.

3. Do I need to convert units before calculating the mole % of N2H4?

Yes, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent before calculating the mole % of N2H4. If necessary, convert all units to the same unit of measurement (e.g. grams or liters) before plugging them into the formula.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of mixture?

Yes, the formula for calculating mole % of N2H4 in a mixture can be used for any type of mixture as long as you have the necessary information (mass or volume of mixture and molar mass of N2H4).

5. Are there any limitations to this calculation method?

One limitation is that this method assumes ideal gas behavior, so it may not be accurate for mixtures containing substances that deviate significantly from ideal gas behavior. Additionally, this method only provides the mole % of N2H4 and does not take into account any potential reactions or changes in composition of the mixture.