Find Polynomial Given Remainder After Division

In summary, a polynomial with degree 3 is divided by two different divisors and the corresponding remainders are given. By using the roots of the divisors, we can determine the polynomial to be -\frac{1}{3}x^3+\frac{1}{3}x^2+5x-2. The book's answer of A is incorrect.
Monoxdifly
MHB
11. Given a polynomial with the degree 3. If it is divided by \(\displaystyle x^2+2x-3\), the remainder is 2x + 1. If it is divided by \(\displaystyle x^2+2x\), the remainder is 3x - 2. The polynomial is ...
A. \(\displaystyle \frac23x^3+\frac43x^2+3x-2\)
B. \(\displaystyle \frac23x^3+\frac43x^2+3x+2\)
C. \(\displaystyle \frac23x^3+\frac43x^2-3x+2\)
D. \(\displaystyle x^3+2x^2+3x-2\)
E. \(\displaystyle 2x^3+4x^2+3x+2\)

The book says that the answer is A, but I don't understand the part when they suddenly substitute f(-2) = -8, where does that come from? I tried doing it myself and got a (the coefficient of \(\displaystyle x^3\)) as \(\displaystyle -\frac13\). Can you tell me what's wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would begin by writing:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ax^3+bx^2+cx+d}{(x+3)(x-1)}=Q(x)+\frac{2x+1}{(x+3)(x-1)}\)

Or:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=Q_1(x)(x+3)(x-1)+2x+1\)

Now, we may state, by looking at the roots of the divisor:

\(\displaystyle f(-3)=-27a+9b-3c+d=-5\)

\(\displaystyle f(1)=a+b+c+d=3\)

Next, we may write:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=Q_2(x)x(x+2)+3x-2\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle f(0)=d=-2\)

\(\displaystyle f(-2)=-8a+4b-2c+d=-8\)

Now, with \(d=-2\), we obtain the following 3 X 3 system of equations:

\(\displaystyle -27a+9b-3c=-3\implies -9a+3b-c=-1\)

\(\displaystyle a+b+c=5\)

\(\displaystyle -8a+4b-2c=-6\implies -4a+2b-c=-3\)

Solving this system, there results:

\(\displaystyle (a,b,c,d)=\left(-\frac{1}{3},\frac{1}{3},5,-2\right)\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=-\frac{1}{3}x^3+\frac{1}{3}x^2+5x-2\)

I have verified, using W|A, that the above cubic results in the correct remainders in both cases. Your book is wrong about A being the correct choice, I would say.

Glad to see I was right, though I still can't comprehend why you got f(-2) as -8.

Monoxdifly said:
Glad to see I was right, though I still can't comprehend why you got f(-2) as -8.

Suppose \(f(x)\) is divided by the divisor \(D(x)\). This will result in a quotient \(Q(x)\) and a remainder \(R(x)\):

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(x)}{D(x)}=Q(x)+\frac{R(x)}{D(x)}\)

or:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=Q(x)D(x)+R(x)\)

Now, if \(x=r\) is a root of the divisor such that \(D(r)=0\), then we will have:

\(\displaystyle f(r)=R(r)\)

Does that make sense?

I see, so you substituted it to 3x - 2.

Monoxdifly said:
I see, so you substituted it to 3x - 2.

Yes, using the reasoning in my previous post, we can write:

\(\displaystyle f(-2)=3(-2)-2=-8\)

Okay, it is clear now. Thanks Mark!

1. How do I find the polynomial when given the remainder after division?

To find the polynomial when given the remainder after division, you need to use the Remainder Theorem and the Division Algorithm. First, set up the equation using the Remainder Theorem, where the remainder is equal to the value of the polynomial when x is equal to the divisor. Then, use the Division Algorithm to divide the polynomial by the divisor and set up the resulting equation. Finally, solve for the unknown coefficients to find the polynomial.

2. Can I find the polynomial if I only know the remainder and the divisor?

Yes, you can find the polynomial if you only know the remainder and the divisor. As mentioned in the previous answer, you can use the Remainder Theorem and the Division Algorithm to set up and solve the equations to find the polynomial. However, it is important to note that there may be multiple polynomials that satisfy the given conditions, so you may need additional information to determine the exact polynomial.

3. What is the Remainder Theorem?

The Remainder Theorem states that if a polynomial f(x) is divided by x-a, the remainder is equal to f(a). In other words, if you know the remainder when a polynomial is divided by x-a, you can find the value of the polynomial when x is equal to a. This theorem is useful when trying to find the polynomial given the remainder after division.

4. How is the Division Algorithm used to find the polynomial?

The Division Algorithm is used to divide a polynomial by a divisor, which results in a quotient and a remainder. This algorithm is important when trying to find the polynomial given the remainder after division because it allows you to set up and solve equations to determine the unknown coefficients of the polynomial.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the polynomial given the remainder after division?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the polynomial given the remainder after division, such as using the Extended Euclidean Algorithm or using the Chinese Remainder Theorem. However, these methods may require more advanced mathematical knowledge and may not be as straightforward as using the Remainder Theorem and the Division Algorithm.