Find Roles Filled w/ Dale or Margaret: 65 Chars

• MHB
  • Thread starter navi
  • Start date
In summary, there are 10 ways to fill the 3 male roles, 1 way to fill the 1 female role, and 2 ways to fill the 2 child roles. The probability of Dale and Margaret both getting a part is 3/10.
navi
I have been trying every possible process for this question:

For this problem, assume 10 males audition, one of them being Dale, 7 females audition, one of them being Margaret, and 4 children audition. The casting director has 3 male roles available, 1 female role available, and 2 child roles available.
1) How many different ways can these roles be filled if exactly one of Dale and Margaret gets a part?
2) What is the probability (if the roles are filled at random) of both Dale and Margaret getting a part?

For number 1, I have tried these permutations and none have worked:

Dale but not Margaret, P(9,2)P(6,1)P(4,2) + Margaret but not Dale, P(9,3)(1)P(4,2)
Dale, P(9,2)P(7,1)P(4,2) + Margaret, P(10,3)P(1)P(4,2) - Both Dale and Margaret,P(9,2)(1)P(4,2)
I also tried both by multiplying P(3,1) to denote the 3 roles Dale could get, but that did not work either.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
navi said:
I have been trying every possible process for this question:

For this problem, assume 10 males audition, one of them being Dale, 7 females audition, one of them being Margaret, and 4 children audition. The casting director has 3 male roles available, 1 female role available, and 2 child roles available.
1) How many different ways can these roles be filled if exactly one of Dale and Margaret gets a part?
2) What is the probability (if the roles are filled at random) of both Dale and Margaret getting a part?

For number 1, I have tried these permutations and none have worked:

Dale but not Margaret, P(9,2)P(6,1)P(4,2) + Margaret but not Dale, P(9,3)(1)P(4,2)
Dale, P(9,2)P(7,1)P(4,2) + Margaret, P(10,3)P(1)P(4,2) - Both Dale and Margaret,P(9,2)(1)P(4,2)
I also tried both by multiplying P(3,1) to denote the 3 roles Dale could get, but that did not work either.

One thing you might consider, which will give you more practice and greater confidence in your results, is to establish the ENTIRE distribution of possibilities. I'll give you one for free!

All Possibilities: (10 * 9 * 8) * (7) * (4 * 3) = 60,480
Neither: (9 * 8 * 7) * (6) * (4 * 3) = 36,288
Both: 3*(1 * 9 * 8) * (1) * (4 * 3) = 2,592
Margaret Only: (9 * 8 * 7) * (1) * (4 * 3) = 6,048
Dale Only: 3*(1 * 9 * 8) * (6) * (4 * 3) = 15,552
Check: 15,552 + 6,048 + 2,592 + 36,288 = 60,480. We probably missed nothing! :-)

Also, having specified the ENTIRE distribution, it may become almost trivial to answer any subsequent question.

P.S. You could simplify your life a little on this problem be realizing the children's roles have nothing to do with the probabilities and almost nothing to do with the counts. By "almost nothing", I mean that each of the results created by ignoring the children's roles is simply multiplied by 12 to accommodate this additional consideration.

Related to Find Roles Filled w/ Dale or Margaret: 65 Chars

What is "Find Roles Filled w/ Dale or Margaret: 65 Chars"?

"Find Roles Filled w/ Dale or Margaret: 65 Chars" is a scientific study or experiment that aims to identify and analyze the roles that are commonly filled by individuals named Dale or Margaret, with a character limit of 65 characters.

What is the purpose of this study?

The purpose of this study is to gain a deeper understanding of the types of roles that are commonly filled by individuals with the names Dale or Margaret, and to potentially identify any patterns or trends.

How will the data be collected and analyzed?

The data will be collected through various methods such as surveys, interviews, and observation. The data will then be analyzed using statistical and qualitative methods to identify any common themes or trends.

Who will be the participants in this study?

The participants in this study will be individuals named Dale or Margaret, who have actively filled roles in their personal or professional lives.

What are the potential implications of this study?

This study could potentially provide insights into the types of roles that individuals with the names Dale or Margaret are commonly associated with, and how these roles may impact their lives. It could also contribute to the understanding of societal perceptions and expectations surrounding these names.