Find t to Satisfy e^iat=e^ia_0, e^ibt=e^ib_0, e^ibct=e^ic_0

• I
  • Thread starter maka89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a value for t that satisfies the equations e^{iat} = e^{ia_0}, e^{ibt} = e^{ib_0}, and e^{ibct} = e^{ic_0} at the same time. The conditions are that a ≠ b ≠ c, a ≠ 0, b ≠ 0, c ≠ 0, and a, b, c do not have a common multiple. It is suggested that there may be approximations to arbitrary precision, but there is no general exact solution.
maka89
If there is no upper limit on t, can you find a t such that: [itex] e^{iat} = e^{ia_0}[/itex], [itex] e^{ibt} = e^{ib_0}[/itex] and [itex] e^{ibct} = e^{ic_0}[/itex] at the same time?

No matter what a,b and c is, though given a != b , a!=c, b!=c and a!= 0, b!= 0, c!=0

Or maybe rather:
[itex]at=a_0 +k_12\pi[/itex], [itex]bt=b_0 +k_22\pi[/itex] and [itex]ct=c_0 +k_32\pi[/itex], where the k's are integers

I think it seems reasonable that you can, or at least come arbitrarily close to the equations being satisfied... But don't know how to prove it, or if I am right... Any pointers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you really talking factorials up there, or were you trying to type "not equals" (≠)?

Not in general.

Consider a=2, b=1, a0=0 and b0 = 0.1. Clearly t=kπ solves the first equation, but does not solve or even approximate the second one.

If you require that a,b,c do not have a pair which have a common multiple, there should be approximations to arbitrary precision. In general there won't be an exact solution here either.

Not equals, mjc123 ;)

Thanks mfb! Forgot to mention, I assumed a is not a multiple of b etc.

maka89 said:
I assumed a is not a multiple of b etc.
That is not general enough.
a=2 and b=3 still lead to a common multiple of 6, and the same result.

If we don't have that case, in general all you get is an approximation.

1. What is the meaning of "t" in the equation e^iat = e^ia_0?

The variable "t" represents time in this equation. It is a common variable used in mathematical equations to represent the independent variable.

2. How do you solve for "t" in the equation e^ibt = e^ib_0?

To solve for "t" in this equation, you can take the natural logarithm (ln) of both sides. This will result in ln(e^ibt) = ln(e^ib_0), which simplifies to bt = b_0. Then, you can divide both sides by "b" to get the value of "t".

3. Can "t" be a complex number in these equations?

Yes, "t" can be a complex number in these equations. The complex number "i" is often used in equations involving exponential functions, and it can be included in the value of "t".

4. How do you interpret the values of "a_0", "b_0", and "c_0" in these equations?

The values of "a_0", "b_0", and "c_0" represent the initial values of the exponential functions. In other words, they represent the values of e^iat, e^ibt, and e^ibct when "t" is equal to 0.

5. What are the possible solutions for "t" in these equations?

Depending on the values of "a", "b", and "c", there can be one, two, or an infinite number of solutions for "t". It is important to consider the domain and range of the exponential functions to determine the possible solutions for "t".