Find the angle POQ by vector methods

So you will square a sum of two vectors, and you will need to expand the dot product for that, then use the fact above.In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help on various calculus problems, including finding angles using vector methods, describing points on a graph, finding the diagonal of a cube, writing a vector as a combination of two others, and proving perpendicularity using the dot product. The conversation includes confusion over certain concepts but ultimately culminates in understanding and solving the problems.
imsoconfused
I feel so stupid!

OK, I know this is probably really annoying but I have a ton of questions. (I would go to the math tutor but they aren't here yet because the semester just started.)

1. Find the angle POQ by vector methods if P=<1,1,0>, O=<0,0,0>, and Q=<1,2,-2>.

What I have tried to use is cos(theta)=a.b/ab, but since there are three vectors I'm having trouble figuring out how to apply the theorem. The thing that confuses me most is O=<0,0,0>, it's not really a vector but somehow I'm supposed to use it to calculate an angle. The professor told us the answer is 45degrees, I got 20degrees.

2. Describe all points (x,y) such that v=xi+yj satisfies:
(a) |v|= 2
(b) |v-i|= 2
(c) v.i = 2
(d) v.i=|v|

This one really confuses me. I've tried just plugging the given v's into the equation, but the answers the professor gave us seem so far away from that I'm pretty certain that that's not the way to go about doing it. What'd be helpful for me would be the worked out solution to one and then I'll apply it to the other three.

3. Find the angle between the diagonal of cube and (a) an edge (b) the diagonal of the face and (c) another diagonal of the cube.

I think I somewhat understand how to get (a) and (b), but (c) makes absolutely no sense to me. I've drawn out a cube, and I've used unit vectors to find the angles of the first two, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be solving for for (c).

4. Suppose I=(i+j)/sqrt(2) and J=(i-j)/sqrt(2). Check I.J=0 and write A=2i+3j as a combination aI+bJ. (a=A.I and b=A.J, solved in another problem.)

I don't even know what this one is asking for. I have an answer key for this one, but it doesn't explain what it's doing and I can't see what it is. Here is the answer, I'd love it if someone would show me what it means.

A = 2 i + 3 j = sqrt(2)(I+J)+(3sqrt(2)/2)(I-J)=aI+bJ with a=sqrt(2)+(3sqrt(2))/2 and b=sqrt(2)-(3sqrt(2))/2

5. If |A+B|sq = |A|sq + |B|sq, prove that A is perpendicular to B.

I assume this means I have to find a way to use the dot product to show that A.B=0, but I don't know where to begin. Would I use cos(theta)=(A.B)/(|A||B|)?

I know this is a lot, it's one night's homework and I'm not terribly clever at math. The text I'm using is Strang which has about zero examples, and I will appreciate any and all advice (or answers!).
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Can someone move this back to calculus? I don't think it's going to get many replies here.

1. Note that P and Q here really means OP and OQ, the position vector of P and Q from the origin. So you have two vectors here and not three. Just apply the formula you quoted to get the answer.

2. You're asked to find the locus of points corresponding to the given conditions. Your approach is ok, plugging in xi+yj into the conditions will given you an equation of a graph. I suppose "describe" means you have to recognise what kind of graph you obtain.

3. Well, you do know what is a cube diagonal is, right? The only question is from which vertex the other cube diagonal should originate from.

4. You're given I and J. The first part is straightforward. The second one, you need to find a,b such that aI+bJ = A. Write this out explicitly:
[tex]a\left( \begin{array}{cc}1\\1 \end{array} \right) + b\left( \begin{array}{cc}1\\-1 \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{cc}2\\3 \end{array} \right)[/tex]. Solve this for values of a,b.

5. Note that [tex]|A|^2 = \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{A}[/tex]. Make use of this to prove it. Note what happens to the dot product of two perpendicular vectors.

Thank you! A couple of things: I finished 1 and 2c correctly, but I don't know what a cube diagonal is really, and number four still makes no sense.

2. (a) |v|=2=xi+yj. that means 2=<x,0>+<y,0>. (correct?) I don't understand how to get from there to 4=x^2+y^2 like my answer key tells me.

imsoconfused said:
Thank you! A couple of things: I finished 1 and 2c correctly, but I don't know what a cube diagonal is really, and number four still makes no sense.

2. (a) |v|=2=xi+yj. that means 2=<x,0>+<y,0>. (correct?) I don't understand how to get from there to 4=x^2+y^2 like my answer key tells me.

If I remember correctly, the 2 is actually the magnitude which means 2= square root(x^2 + y ^2) and I'm guessing they just squared the answer to make it look nicer

ohhh, that makes perfect sense!

I have gotten all but the last one! The thing is, I REALLY don't get the last one. I mean, I have that general idea but I have no clue as to where to start. Help!

Well you should start on the LHS and use this property:
[tex]|A|^2 = \mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{A}[/tex]

You also need to use the distributive law for dot product of vectors.

1. What is the "angle POQ" in "Find the angle POQ by vector methods"?

The angle POQ refers to the angle formed by the two vectors, PO and OQ, which are drawn from a common point O.

2. Why use vector methods to find the angle POQ instead of other methods?

Vector methods are commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve problems involving direction and magnitude. They offer a geometric and algebraic approach, making it easier to visualize and calculate angles.

3. How do I find the angle POQ using vector methods?

To find the angle POQ using vector methods, first find the dot product of the two vectors PO and OQ. Then, use the formula cosθ = (PO ⋅ OQ) / (|PO| ⋅ |OQ|) to calculate the cosine of the angle. Finally, use the inverse cosine function to find the angle in radians or degrees.

4. Can the angle POQ be negative when using vector methods?

No, the angle POQ cannot be negative when using vector methods. The dot product of two vectors will always result in a positive value, and the inverse cosine function will only return values between 0 and 180 degrees (or 0 and π radians).

5. What are some real-life applications of finding angles using vector methods?

Finding angles using vector methods has many practical applications, such as calculating the direction and velocity of moving objects, determining the trajectory of projectiles, and analyzing the forces acting on an object. It is also used in engineering, navigation, and computer graphics.