Find the area between the curve and the x-axis

• MHB
  • Thread starter b4rn5ey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary: uy545, the tutor has advised to use the integral sign in order to account for areas below the axis being counted as negative.
b4rn5ey
Morning all,

Got some feedback on some recent work I submitted, and I've only gone wrong on one calculation (Woo!) - however I have no idea where for this one question.

The Question is as follows:

Find the area between the curve y=x² - x - 2 and x-axis in the range y=-3 to x=5.

Here is how I went about it originally:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The tutor has advised: Total area requires correction. You should first identify points of intersection with the x-axis then evaluate the area of several parts changing the negative area to positive.

Frankly, he's lost me..haha

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
b4rn5ey said:
Morning all,

Got some feedback on some recent work I submitted, and I've only gone wrong on one calculation (Woo!) - however I have no idea where for this one question.

The Question is as follows:

Find the area between the curve y=x² - x - 2 and x-axis in the range y=-3 to x=5.

Here is how I went about it originally:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The tutor has advised: Total area requires correction. You should first identify points of intersection with the x-axis then evaluate the area of several parts changing the negative area to positive.

Frankly, he's lost me..haha

Any help would be greatly appreciated
As your sketch shows, the curve lies below the $x$-axis in the interval $x=-1$ to $x=2$. When you integrate, areas below the axis count as negative. But the question (apparently) wants you to count such areas as positive. So instead of calculating a single integral \(\displaystyle \int_{-3}^5(x^2 - x - 2)\,dx\), you need to find three separate integrals \(\displaystyle \int_{-3}^{-1}(x^2 - x - 2)\,dx\), \(\displaystyle \int_{-1}^2(x^2 - x - 2)\,dx\) and \(\displaystyle \int_{2}^5(x^2 - x - 2)\,dx\). The first and third of these will be positive. But the second one will give a negative result, and you will need to change the sign to make it positive, before adding it to the other two to get the final result.

note ...

\(\displaystyle |x^2-x-2|=|(x+1)(x-2)|=\left\{\begin{matrix}
x^2-x-2 &; \, x \le-1 \\
-(x^2-x-2) &; \, -1<x<2 \\
x^2-x-2& ; \, x \ge 2
\end{matrix}\right.\)

\(\displaystyle A=\int_{-3}^5 |x^2-x-2| \,dx = \int_{-3}^{-1} (x^2-x-2) \,dx - \int_{-1}^{2} (x^2-x-2) \,dx + \int_{2}^{5} (x^2-x-2) \,dx\)

... as stated by Opalg

1. What does "finding the area between the curve and the x-axis" mean?

When we talk about finding the area between a curve and the x-axis, we are referring to the process of calculating the total amount of space that is enclosed by the curve and the x-axis on a graph. This can be visualized as the shaded region between the curve and the x-axis.

2. How is the area between the curve and the x-axis calculated?

The area between the curve and the x-axis is calculated using integration. This involves breaking down the curve into small, infinitesimal rectangles and adding up their areas to find the total enclosed area. The process of integration can be done manually or using mathematical software.

3. What is the significance of finding the area between the curve and the x-axis?

Finding the area between the curve and the x-axis is a fundamental concept in calculus and has many real-world applications. It allows us to calculate quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, and is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the area between the curve and the x-axis be negative?

Yes, the area between the curve and the x-axis can be negative. This can occur when the curve dips below the x-axis, resulting in a negative value for the area. It is important to pay attention to the region of the graph when calculating the area to ensure a correct result.

5. Are there any special techniques for finding the area between the curve and the x-axis?

Yes, there are several techniques for finding the area between the curve and the x-axis, depending on the type of curve and the limits of integration. Some common techniques include using geometric shapes to approximate the area, using integration by substitution, or using integration by parts. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique for each specific problem.