Find the Derivative of a Function: Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners

• MHB
  • Thread starter yli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, I was trying to find the derivative of this function and I seem to be doing everything wrong. I was trying to find the derivative of the outside function r, and I supposed that I am supposed to apply the chain rule, but I seems like I'm doing everything wrong. The derivative of the inner function is (0-1), I think. But this comes to -r, which doesn't seem to make sense. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
yli
Hi, so I am trying to find the derivative of this function.
\[
\frac{dP}{dt}=rP(K-P),
\]
r and K are positive constants describing the natural growth rate and carrying capacity of the population, respectively. I was trying to find the derivative, and I suppose that I am supposed to apply the chain rule, but I seems like I'm doing everything wrong. The derivative of the outside function I think is r. Next, the derivative of the inner function is (0-1), I think. But this comes to -r, which doesn't seem to make sense. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are differentiating w.r.t $t$, then using the product rule, you would have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2P}{dt^2}=\left(r\d{P}{t}\right)\left(K-P\right)+\left(rP\right)\left(-\d{P}{t}\right)\)

Now, factor...:)

Would it end up being rK+2rP? Or did I factor wrong?

yli said:
Would it end up being rK+2rP? Or did I factor wrong?

We see that \(\displaystyle r\d{P}{t}\) is common to both terms, so we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2P}{dt^2}=\left(r\d{P}{t}\right)\left(K-P\right)+\left(rP\right)\left(-\d{P}{t}\right)=r\d{P}{t}\left(K-P-P\right)=r\d{P}{t}\left(K-2P\right)\)

So if I were to graph dp/dt as a function of P, how would I find the critical values? Would I just set this derivative to 0? Also, if a new constant is introduced into this, how would I find the derivative? The equation would change to
\[\frac{dP}{dt}=rP(K-P)-H.
\]

yli said:
So if I were to graph dp/dt as a function of P, how would I find the critical values? Would I just set this derivative to 0? Also, if a new constant is introduced into this, how would I find the derivative? The equation would change to
\[\frac{dP}{dt}=rP(K-P)-H.
\]

Could it be that you are trying to take the derivative of the right-hand side of the equation for $\frac{dP}{dt}$ with respect to $P$ instead?

Namely, it seems to me that you are trying to do a linear stability analysis of the equilibria of this differential equation. For this, you would differentiate the one-dimensional vector field $P \mapsto rP(K - P)$ (or: $P \mapsto rP(K - P) - H$) using the product rule and evaluate the resulting derivative at the equilibria. A strictly negative value would indicate linear stability, while a strictly positive value would indicate linear instability.

In addition, for autonomous one-dimensional differential equations it would be more instructive to also draw the vector field (vertical) as a function of $P$ (horizontal). Equilibria then correspond to points of the graph on the horizontal axis and the direction of the flow - hence, the (in)stability of the equilibria - is directly inferred from the graph. (Can you see how?)

Last edited:
You have "rP(K- P)" and talk about an "inner function" and an "outer function". Are you think of "P(K-P)" as "P times K- P" (as others responding have) or as the composition, "P of K-P"?

I think that Krylov has gotten what I was attempting to do, I was confused about it myself. In the case of drawing the graph of \[\frac{dP}{dt}=rP(K−P)−H.\] with respect to P, could someone tell me what would change? For the first graph, I got an upside down U-shape, and the question that I am referring to says that 0<H< $\frac{rk^2}{4}$. I know that $\frac{rk^2}{4}$ is the $\frac{dP}{dt}$ value of the global maximum of the function.

yli said:
I think that Krylov has gotten what I was attempting to do, I was confused about it myself. In the case of drawing the graph of \[\frac{dP}{dt}=rP(K−P)−H.\] with respect to P, could someone tell me what would change? For the first graph, I got an upside down U-shape, and the question that I am referring to says that 0<H< $\frac{rk^2}{4}$. I know that $\frac{rk^2}{4}$ is the $\frac{dP}{dt}$ value of the global maximum of the function.
By subtracting $H$, you perform a vertical translation of the graph, lowering its top. By comparing $H$ with the value of the global maximum for the case without harvesting, you compare the maximal harvest-free growth rate with the harvesting rate. If the latter is too large, you will "reap more than you sow", so to speak.

Last edited:
yli said:

What I would do here, if we are to look at the stability of the equilibria, is write:

\(\displaystyle rP(K-P)-H=-\left(rP^2-rKP+H\right)\)

The roots, by the quadratic formula, are:

\(\displaystyle P=\frac{rK\pm\sqrt{r^2K^2-4rH}}{2r}\)

We require the discriminant to be non-negative:

\(\displaystyle r^2K^2-4rH\ge0\)

Since $r$ is positive, we may divide through by $r$:

\(\displaystyle rK^2-4H\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle rK^2\ge4H\)

And we find:

\(\displaystyle 0<H\le\frac{rK^2}{4}\)

Can you explain why the smaller root is unstable while the larger is stable?

edit: I previously had the above reversed with regards to the stability of the roots because I failed to recall that I had factored out a negative sign. This is cleared up in the following posts, but I didn't want to OP to read this last post on the page, and it have bad information in it, and cause the OP any additional grief. :)

MarkFL said:
Can you explain why the smaller root is stable while the larger is unstable?
Could it be the other way around?

Krylov said:
Could it be the other way around?

Oops...I failed to recall that I factored out a negative sign...so yes it is the other way around. (Bandit)

No worries. I recommend that yli tries to follow up on your post #10 (with this small correction).

Krylov said:
No worries. I recommend that yli tries to follow up on your post #10 (with this small correction).

Yes, and for clarity that would be:

Can you explain why the smaller root is an unstable equilibrium while the larger root is stable.

That isn't in general true. If you have dy/dt= ky(1- y) then equilibrium points are points where dy/dx, so ky(1- y), is 0. ky(1- y)= 0 for y= 0 and y= 1. Which equilibrium is stable and which is unstable depends on the sign of k.

If k> 0 then, for y< 0, y is negative, 1- y is positive, so ky(1- y) is "positive*negative*positive" so dy/dt is negative, y is decreasing. If y starts less than 0, it moves away from 0 not toward it. For 0< y< 1 k, y, and 1- y are all positive so dy/dt is positive, y is increasing. If y starts between 0 and 1, it moves away from 0 and toward 1. If y> 1, k and y are positive but 1- y is negative so dy/dt is negative, y is decreasing. If y starts larger t it moves toward 1.

That is, if y is close to 0, whether less than or larger, y moves away from 0. 0 is an unstable equilibrium. if y is close to 1, whether less than or larger than 1, y moves toward 1. 1 is a stable equilibrium.

But if k< 0, the sign in each interval is reversed. Using the same argument about whether y moves toward or way from an equilibrium point shows a reversed direction. 0 is now stable equilibrium and 1 is an unstable equilibrium.

HallsofIvy said:
Which equilibrium is stable and which is unstable depends on the sign of k.
In general you are right, but this is a specific model where $K$ is a carrying capacity, see post #1. Hence it is stipulated to be positive.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. In simpler terms, it measures how much one quantity changes in response to a change in another quantity.

2. Why do we need to use derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many areas of science and engineering to solve problems involving rates of change. They are especially useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and understand how systems change over time.

3. How do I find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found by using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the change in the function over a very small change in the independent variable. Alternatively, you can use software or a calculator to find the derivative numerically.

4. What are some common applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have many real-world applications. For example, they are used to calculate velocity and acceleration in physics, to find the maximum profit in economics, and to optimize processes in engineering. They are also used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

5. Are there any limitations to using derivatives?

While derivatives are a powerful tool in mathematics and science, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not always exist for discontinuous functions or functions with sharp corners. Additionally, the process of finding derivatives can become more complex for higher-order derivatives or functions with multiple variables.