Find the derivative using implicit differentiation (with inverse trig functions)

In summary, Umar was trying to solve for y' using a linear equation in the form $A + By' = Cy'$. He showed that C - B = (x^2y^2 + 1 - x\sqrt{2-y^2}) and completed the steps to obtain y' = \frac{y\sqrt{2-y^2}}{x^2y^2 + 1 - x\sqrt{2-y^2}}.
Umar
Here is the question:

View attachment 6100

This is the step I came to after taking the derivatives and doing some simplification:

View attachment 6101

^ I did the work myself on paper, I just couldn't type out the whole thing clearly so that anyone else can see what I'm referring too... so I used some online tool to show that step.

Now, my main concern here is solving for y', or essentially, dy/dx. I have tried numerous ways, but the math gets too ugly.
If anyone could please give this a try as soon as possible, that would be extremely appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.29.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.29.54 PM.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.35.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 9.35.04 PM.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 56
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Umar,

The denominator of the right hand side of your equation is $\sqrt{2-y^2}$ by the rule $\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}$. The left hand side can be written

$$\frac{y}{x^2y^2 + 1} + \left(\frac{x}{x^2y^2 + 1}\right)y'$$

So you have a linear equation in the form $A + By' = Cy'$ where

$$A = \frac{y}{x^2y^2 + 1},\quad B = \frac{x}{x^2y^2 + 1},\quad \text{and}\quad C = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2-y^2}}$$

We have $A = Cy' - By'$, or $A = (C - B)y'$. Show that $$C - B = \frac{x^2y^2 + 1 - x\sqrt{2-y^2}}{(x^2y^2 + 1)\sqrt{2-y^2}}$$ and complete the steps to obtain

$$y' = \frac{y\sqrt{2-y^2}}{x^2y^2 + 1 - x\sqrt{2-y^2}}$$

Euge said:
Hi Umar,

The denominator of the right hand side of your equation is $\sqrt{2-y^2}$ by the rule $\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}$. The left hand side can be written

$$\frac{y}{x^2y^2 + 1} + \left(\frac{x}{x^2y^2 + 1}\right)y'$$

So you have a linear equation in the form $A + By' = Cy'$ where

$$A = \frac{y}{x^2y^2 + 1},\quad B = \frac{x}{x^2y^2 + 1},\quad \text{and}\quad C = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2-y^2}}$$

We have $A = Cy' - By'$, or $A = (C - B)y'$. Show that $$C - B = \frac{x^2y^2 + 1 - x\sqrt{2-y^2}}{(x^2y^2 + 1)\sqrt{2-y^2}}$$ and complete the steps to obtain

$$y' = \frac{y\sqrt{2-y^2}}{x^2y^2 + 1 - x\sqrt{2-y^2}}$$

Wow! Thank you so much. You explained it with so much simplicity that it never really looked hard at all. Thank you!

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. In other words, it is a way to find the derivative of a function that is not in the form y = f(x).

2. Why do we need to use implicit differentiation?

Not all functions can be written in the form y = f(x), especially when inverse trigonometric functions are involved. In these cases, we use implicit differentiation to find the derivative of the function.

3. How do we use implicit differentiation with inverse trig functions?

When differentiating a function with inverse trig functions, we use the chain rule and the derivatives of the inverse trig functions to find the derivative of the function. For example, the derivative of sin^-1(x) is 1/sqrt(1-x^2).

4. Can we use implicit differentiation with any function?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used with any function, as long as it is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. However, it may become more complicated and require more steps when dealing with functions that involve multiple variables or complex equations.

5. What are the benefits of using implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to solve for the dependent variable explicitly. This can be useful when dealing with complex equations or when the dependent variable is not easily isolated. It also allows us to find the derivative of inverse trig functions, which cannot be differentiated using basic rules.