Find the domain of the inverse of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses a textbook problem involving the range and inverse of a function. Part a) is resolved without issue, but there is confusion over the solution for part b). Upon further discussion, it is determined that a "many to one" function cannot have an inverse over its whole domain, and in order for an inverse to exist, the original function's domain must be restricted. The turning point of the graph can be used to determine the restricted domain for quadratics.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached problem
Relevant Equations
domain and inverse of functions concept
This is a textbook problem:

1632880387875.png

now for part a) no issue here, the range of the function is ##-1≤f(x)≤299##

now for part b)

i got ##x≥-1##
1632880550296.png
but the textbook indicates the solution as ##x≥0## hmmmmm i think, that's not correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Kindly see attached problem
Relevant Equations:: domain and inverse of functions concept

This is a textbook problem:

View attachment 289875

now for part a) no issue here, the range of the function is ##-1≤f(x)≤299##

now for part b)

i got ##x≥-1##
View attachment 289876but the textbook indicates the solution as ##x≥0## hmmmmm i think, that's not correct

...I think i see why..." a function qualifies to have an inverse if its only ##1-1## or many to one ...but not one to many...we have to restrict the domain in order to realize a function lol :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
chwala said:
...I think i see why..." a function qualifies to have an inverse if its only ##1-1## or many to one
I think a "many to one" function can’t have an inverse over its whole domain. In fact that’s why your original function, y = f(x) = 3x² -1, only has an inverse over part of its domain.

f(x) = 3x² -1 is many-to-one. For example, both x = 1 and x = -1 gives the same value of y = 3x² – 1 = 2.

So, if we are given y = 2, we can’t ‘get back’ to a unique value for x.

In this question, by limiting the original function’s domain to x≥0, we restrict the function so now it is one-to-one and the inverse function exists.

(But that’s a non-mathematician’s view.)

Likes chwala
Steve4Physics said:
I think a "many to one" function can’t have an inverse over its whole domain. In fact that’s why your original function, y = f(x) = 3x² -1, only has an inverse over part of its domain.

f(x) = 3x² -1 is many-to-one. For example, both x = 1 and x = -1 gives the same value of y = 3x² – 1 = 2.

So, if we are given y = 2, we can’t ‘get back’ to a unique value for x.

In this question, by limiting the original function’s domain to x≥0, we restrict the function so now it is one-to-one and the inverse function exists.

(But that’s a non-mathematician’s view.)
That's correct, an inverse would suffice if we restrict the domain...in general, for quadratics this would be determined by the ##x## co- ordinate value at the turning point of the graph.

Last edited:

What is the domain of the inverse of a function?

The domain of the inverse of a function is the set of all possible input values for the inverse function. It is the range of the original function.

How do you find the domain of the inverse of a function?

To find the domain of the inverse of a function, you can switch the x and y variables in the original function and solve for y. The resulting equation will give you the domain of the inverse function.

What is the importance of finding the domain of the inverse of a function?

Finding the domain of the inverse of a function is important because it helps determine the set of input values that will produce a valid output for the inverse function. This is necessary for the inverse function to be well-defined and have a meaningful interpretation.

Can the domain of the inverse of a function be different from the domain of the original function?

Yes, the domain of the inverse of a function can be different from the domain of the original function. This is because the inverse function may have a different set of input values that produce a valid output compared to the original function.

What happens if the original function has a restricted domain?

If the original function has a restricted domain, the domain of the inverse function will also be restricted. This means that the inverse function will only be defined for a subset of the input values of the original function.