Find the equation of the plane given point and line (3D)

In summary: Call this ##\vec n##. Finally, plug in the values for ##x_0##, ##y_0##, ##z_0##, and ##A##, ##B##, ##C## into the equation for the plane.∴In summary, the equation for the plane is 5(x-1)-7(y+1)-21(z-2)=0.
alexandra2727
∴1. Homework Statement
Find an equation for the plane that contains the point (1,-1,2) and the line x=t, y=t+1, z=-3+2t?
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I am doing wrong but everytime I try to do these plane questions my amswer is always the opposite sign of the real answer.

P1(7,0,1)
P2(7,3,0)

P1P2 (0,3,-1)
n(7,-1,2)

P1P2 crossproducted with n = (5,-7,-21)

∴ 5(x-7)-7y-21(z-1)=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are your P1 and P2 coming from?
alexandra2727 said:
Are you crossing P1P2 vector with the normal vector?

alexandra2727 said:
∴1. Homework Statement
Find an equation for the plane that contains the point (1,-1,2) and the line x=t, y=t+1, z=-3+2t?
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I am doing wrong but everytime I try to do these plane questions my amswer is always the opposite sign of the real answer.

P1(7,0,1)
P2(7,3,0)

P1P2 (0,3,-1)
n(7,-1,2)

∴ 5(x-7)-7y-21(z-1)=0
If you have a point ##P_0(x_0, y_0, z_0)## and a normal to the plane N = <A, B, C>, the equation of the plane is ##A(x - x_0) + B(y - y_0) + C(z - z_0) = 0##. This equation can be obtained by taking the dot product of N and a vector ##\vec{P_0P}##, where P(x, y, z) is an arbitrary point in the plane.

You're given a point, so you have some of the information you need. To get a normal to the plane, find two vectors that lie in the plane. For the first vector, find two points on the line, and construct a displacement vector between the two points. Call this ##\vec u##. To get another vector, construct a displacement vector between any point on the line and the given point. Call this ##\vec u##.
Take the cross product of ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##, which will give you a vector perpendicular to both ##\vec u## and ##\vec v## (and therefore be a normal to the plane).

What is the equation of a plane?

A plane is a two-dimensional flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions. In mathematical terms, a plane can be represented by an equation in three-dimensional space.

How do you find the equation of a plane given a point and a line in 3D?

To find the equation of a plane given a point and a line, you need to first determine the normal vector of the plane. This can be done by taking the cross product of the direction vector of the line and a vector formed by subtracting the given point from any other point on the line. Once you have the normal vector, you can use the point-normal form of the plane equation to find the equation of the plane.

What is the point-normal form of a plane equation?

The point-normal form of a plane equation is given by: (x-x0)(a) + (y-y0)(b) + (z-z0)(c) = 0, where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the plane and (a, b, c) is the normal vector of the plane.

Can a plane be uniquely determined by a point and a line?

Yes, a plane can be uniquely determined by a point and a line as long as the line is not parallel to the plane. If the line is parallel to the plane, then there are infinite planes that contain the line and the given point.

What are the applications of finding the equation of a plane given a point and a line in 3D?

One application of this concept is in computer graphics, where planes are used to create 3D objects and scenes. It is also useful in physics and engineering, where planes are used to represent surfaces such as walls, floors, and planes of motion. Additionally, finding the equation of a plane can help in determining the distance between a point and a line, which has various practical applications in fields such as navigation and surveying.