Find the infinite sum of fractions 2/(3⋅5)+(2⋅4)/(3⋅5⋅7)+(2⋅4⋅6)/(3⋅5⋅7⋅9)+....

In summary, several participants discussed and provided solutions for finding the sum of fractions, with one approach using power series and another using differential equations. The final answer was found to be 1.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
I´m not sure, whether this little challenge has been posted before. I have searched the forum and didn´t find it.
It might still be a duplicate though ...
Find the sum of fractions

$$\frac{2}{3\cdot5}+\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7}+\frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9}+...$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lfdahl said:
I´m not sure, whether this little challenge has been posted before. I have searched the forum and didn´t find it.
It might still be a duplicate though ...
Find the sum of fractions

$$\frac{2}{3\cdot5}+\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7}+\frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9}+...$$
I can't figure out how to use the HIDE feature, so I won't answer, but this one popped out immediately. Maybe I have seen it before, too. I don't recall anywhere that may have happened.

tkhunny said:
I can't figure out how to use the HIDE feature
Use the tags [sp] ... [/sp] to hide spoilers.

Opalg said:
Use the tags [sp] ... [/sp] to hide spoilers.

"SPOILERS"! Too easy. Many thanks.

All right, then...

[sp]With some judicious factoring, rewrite as

$\dfrac{2}{3}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{5} + \dfrac{4}{5}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{7} + \dfrac{6}{7}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{9}+\dfrac{8}{9}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{11}+\dfrac{10}{11}\cdot\left(...\right)\right)\right)\right)\right)$

Pretty clearly, we have 2/3 and everything else is a REALLY long-winded way to say 1.[/sp]

Less sure the more I look at it. See, that's why I don't usually answer these things. They invade my brain if I let them.

tkhunny said:
Less sure the more I look at it. See, that's why I don't usually answer these things. They invade my brain if I let them.
Your solution is correct, as far as I can see. (Yes) Thankyou, tkhunny for your participation!(Sun)

Yes, I know this feeling too, it might sometimes occupy your mind both night and day ...(Whew)

tkhunny said:
[sp]With some judicious factoring, rewrite as

$\dfrac{2}{3}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{5} + \dfrac{4}{5}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{7} + \dfrac{6}{7}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{9}+\dfrac{8}{9}\cdot\left(\dfrac{1}{11}+\dfrac{10}{11}\cdot\left(...\right)\right)\right)\right)\right)$

Pretty clearly, we have 2/3 and everything else is a REALLY long-winded way to say 1.[/sp]
[sp]That argument leaves me feeling a bit queasy, but I believe it gives the correct answer. Here's another approach.

Form the power series \(\displaystyle y = \frac{1}{3}x^3 +\frac{2}{3\cdot5}x^5 +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7}x^7 + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9}x^9 + \ldots.\)

Differentiate: \(\displaystyle y' = x^2 + \frac{2}{3}x^4 +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5}x^6 + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7}x^8 + \ldots.\)

Then $$\begin{aligned} \frac{y' - x^2}{x^3} &= \frac13(2x) + \frac{2}{3\cdot5}(4x^3) + \frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7}(6x^5) + \ldots \\ &= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac yx\right) \\ &= \frac{xy'-y}{x^2}, \\ y' - x^2 &= x^2y'- xy, \\ y'(1-x^2) + xy &= x^2.\end{aligned}$$
Solve that differential equation by using an integrating factor $(1-x^2)^{-3/2}$, to get $y'(1-x^2)^{-1/2} + x(1-x^2)^{-3/2}y = x^2(1-x^2)^{-3/2}.$ That integrates to give $$\frac y{(1-x^2)^{1/2}} = \int\frac{x^2}{(1-x^2)^{3/2}}dx = \int \tan^2\theta\, d\theta = \int( \sec^2\theta - 1)\,d\theta = \tan\theta - \theta = \frac x{\sqrt{1-x^2}} - \arcsin x,$$ using the substitution $x = \sin\theta$ and choosing the constant of integration so that $y=0$ when $x=0$.

So $y = x - \sqrt{1-x^2}\arcsin x.$ When $x=1$, $y=1$. But when $x=1$ the power series for $y$ becomes \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} +\frac{2}{3\cdot5} +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7} + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9} + \ldots.\) This shows that \(\displaystyle 1 = \frac{1}{3} +\frac{2}{3\cdot5} +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7} + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9} + \ldots\), and subtracting $\dfrac13$ from both sides gives the required answer.

[/sp]

Opalg said:
[sp]That argument leaves me feeling a bit queasy, but I believe it gives the correct answer. Here's another approach.

Agreed. It may be dumb luck and confirmation bias.

Opalg said:

Form the power series \(\displaystyle y = \frac{1}{3}x^3 +\frac{2}{3\cdot5}x^5 +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7}x^7 + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9}x^9 + \ldots.\)

Differentiate: \(\displaystyle y' = x^2 + \frac{2}{3}x^4 +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5}x^6 + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7}x^8 + \ldots.\)

Then $$\begin{aligned} \frac{y' - x^2}{x^3} &= \frac13(2x) + \frac{2}{3\cdot5}(4x^3) + \frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7}(6x^5) + \ldots \\ &= \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac yx\right) \\ &= \frac{xy'-y}{x^2}, \\ y' - x^2 &= x^2y'- xy, \\ y'(1-x^2) + xy &= x^2.\end{aligned}$$
Solve that differential equation by using an integrating factor $(1-x^2)^{-3/2}$, to get $y'(1-x^2)^{-1/2} + x(1-x^2)^{-3/2}y = x^2(1-x^2)^{-3/2}.$ That integrates to give $$\frac y{(1-x^2)^{1/2}} = \int\frac{x^2}{(1-x^2)^{3/2}}dx = \int \tan^2\theta\, d\theta = \int( \sec^2\theta - 1)\,d\theta = \tan\theta - \theta = \frac x{\sqrt{1-x^2}} - \arcsin x,$$ using the substitution $x = \sin\theta$ and choosing the constant of integration so that $y=0$ when $x=0$.

So $y = x - \sqrt{1-x^2}\arcsin x.$ When $x=1$, $y=1$. But when $x=1$ the power series for $y$ becomes \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} +\frac{2}{3\cdot5} +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7} + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9} + \ldots.\) This shows that \(\displaystyle 1 = \frac{1}{3} +\frac{2}{3\cdot5} +\frac{2\cdot4}{3\cdot5\cdot7} + \frac{2\cdot4\cdot6}{3\cdot5\cdot7\cdot9} + \ldots\), and subtracting $\dfrac13$ from both sides gives the required answer.

[/sp]

Thankyou for your participation, Opalg! I wonder, how you get these ideas. A fascinating approach indeed!(Wink)

1. What is the pattern for the fractions in this infinite sum?

The pattern for the fractions in this infinite sum is that each term's numerator is multiplied by the previous term's denominator, and the denominator is multiplied by the next odd number, starting with 3.

2. How do you find the common denominator for these fractions?

The common denominator for these fractions is the product of all the odd numbers in the denominators, starting with 3. In this case, it is 3⋅5⋅7⋅9⋅11⋅...

3. How do you simplify the fractions before finding the sum?

Before finding the sum, you can simplify the fractions by dividing the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor. In this case, the greatest common factor is 2.

4. Is there a formula for finding the sum of this infinite series?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the sum of this infinite series, which is 2/(3⋅5) × (1/2)^n, where n is the number of terms in the series.

5. Can this infinite sum be expressed as a decimal?

Yes, this infinite sum can be expressed as a decimal by finding the decimal equivalent of the fraction 2/(3⋅5), which is 0.1333333.... However, since this is an infinite sum, the decimal will never terminate and will continue infinitely.