Find the length of PR and the bearing of P from R

In summary, a ship sailed from Port P to Port Q, changed course to 285° and sailed a further 7 nautical miles to Port R. The distance from Port P to Port R was calculated to be 5.13 nautical miles. The bearing from Port R to Port P is 127.6°.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

A ship sails 3 nautical miles from Port P on a course of 64° to Port Q, then changes course to 285° and sails a further 7 nautical miles to Port R.
(i) Draw a carefully labelled diagram of the entire route taken. Show the north direction where necessary.
(ii)Calculate the distance PR to three significant figures.
(iii) Determine the bearing of P from R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the diagram which i will post, as you can see I found angle PRQ to be 75° using alternate angles, and I found the exterior angles of the first two bearings by subtracting them from 360°.
But I can't seem to figure out the other two angles in the triangle to find the length, I could simply use the sine rule then°

PLEASE NOTE ON THE DIAGRAM THE ANGLE WHICH SAYS 375° SHOULD BE 285°

Attachments

• bering.png
    bering.png
    10 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:

Homework Statement

A ship sails 3 nautical miles from Port P on a course of 64° to Port Q, then changes course to 285° and sails a further 7 nautical miles to Port R.
(i) Draw a carefully labelled diagram of the entire route taken. Show the north direction where necessary.

Homework Equations

I have drawn the diagram which i will post, as you can see I found angle PRQ to be 75° using alternate angles, and I found the exterior angles of the first two bearings by subtracting them from 360°.
But I can't seem to figure out the other two angles in the triangle to find the length, I could simply use the sine rule then
Here is a full size image of your diagram:
bering-png.png

Can you determine angle PQR ?

Attachments

• bering-png.png
    bering-png.png
    10 KB · Views: 537
The angle that says 375 should be 285 just to correct that.
I am trying to figure it out... But I Just can't see it, I think it may have to do something with opposite interior angles.

Richie Smash said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

But I can't seem to figure out the other two angles in the triangle to find the length, I could simply use the sine rule then
upload_2018-2-2_13-37-51.png
You found the yellow angle as 75° correctly. What is the pink angle then? The angle PRQ is not 75°.
If you know the pink angle, you can calculate the length PR, and then all angles can be determined.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-2_13-37-51.png
    upload_2018-2-2_13-37-51.png
    11 KB · Views: 518
Likes Richie Smash
Oh I see Ehild...it makes a corresponding angle... and therefore it would be 180-64+75=41° and I can use the cosine rule... It's actually a bit hard to visualize.. I won't forget this.

Richie Smash said:
Oh I see Ehild...it makes a corresponding angle... and therefore it would be 180-(64+75)=41° and I can use the cosine rule... It's actually a bit hard to visualize.. I won't forget this.
Yes, go ahead.

Likes Richie Smash
Yes I did it, using the cos rule the length is 5.13, and then for the bearing, if You extend a line from R and call the other point S then the angle NRS is 75° due to the same corresponding angles, so therefore angle NRQ would be 105°.
SO the bearing would be 105°+22.6°(angle PRQ) = 127.6° and it is very correct :) solved thanks a lot guys.

What does "Find the length of PR" mean?

"Find the length of PR" is asking for the distance between points P and R. It is a measurement of the straight line connecting the two points, also known as the line segment PR.

How do you calculate the length of PR?

The length of PR can be calculated using the Pythagorean Theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, PR is the hypotenuse while the other two sides are the coordinates of points P and R.

What is the unit of measurement for the length of PR?

The unit of measurement for the length of PR can vary depending on the given coordinates. It could be in inches, centimeters, meters, or any other unit of length. It is important to specify the unit of measurement when stating the length of PR.

What does "bearing of P from R" mean?

"Bearing" refers to the angle between a reference direction and the direction of another point. In this case, the bearing of P from R is asking for the angle between the line segment PR and a reference direction, usually north. It is measured in degrees from 0° to 360° in a clockwise direction.

How do you calculate the bearing of P from R?

The bearing of P from R can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as tangent or inverse tangent. The formula for calculating bearing is tan θ = (y₂ - y₁)/(x₂ - x₁), where (x₁, y₁) and (x₂, y₂) are the coordinates of points R and P, respectively. Once you have the value of θ, you can use inverse tangent to find the bearing in degrees.