Find the minimum perimeter of a triangle with these constraints

In summary: I found a different solution which minimizes ##|\bar{BA}|##. First, we find the norm of ##\vec{BA}##: $$|\vec{BA}|^2=\vec{B}^2+\vec{A}^2$$ Next, set ##\vec{BA}=\vec{B}-\vec{A}## and solve for ##\vec{BA}##: $$|\vec{BA}|=\vec{B}-\vec{A}\cdot \vec{BC}-\lambda \vec {BC}=\vec{BC}-\lambda ^{2}=\vec{A
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Not really sure
1647222867832.png

My attempt:
$$|\vec{BA} -\lambda \vec {BC}| \geq 2|\vec {BC}|$$
$$|\vec {BA}|^2 -2 \lambda (\vec {BA} \cdot \vec {BC}) +\lambda ^{2} |\vec {BC}|^2 \geq 4|\vec {BC}|^2$$
$$|\vec {BA}|^2 -2 \lambda |\vec {BA}| \cos \theta +\lambda ^{2} \geq 4$$

Am I even on the right track?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good start
By rearranging so that the RHS is zero you get a quadratic in ##\lambda## that must always be more than zero, which means it must have no real roots, which means the discriminant (##b^2-4ac##) must be negative. That will give you some constraints on ##\bar{BA}## which you can then use to work out the minimum perimeter triangle.

Likes songoku
andrewkirk said:
It's a good start
By rearranging so that the RHS is zero you get a quadratic in ##\lambda## that must always be more than zero, which means it must have no real roots, which means the discriminant (##b^2-4ac##) must be negative. That will give you some constraints on ##\bar{BA}## which you can then use to work out the minimum perimeter triangle.
$$\lambda^2-2 \lambda |\vec {BA}| \cos \theta+|\vec {BA}|^2 -4 \geq 0$$

Using D ≤ 0 :
$$4 |\vec {BA}|^2 \cos^2 \theta-4|\vec{BA}|^2+16 \leq0$$
$$-|\vec {BA}|^2 \sin^2 \theta +4\leq0$$
$$|\vec{BA}|^2 \sin^2 \theta \geq 4$$

The maximum value of ##\sin^2 \theta## is 1 so the minimum value of ##|\vec{BA}|^2## is 4 and the minimum value of ##|\vec{BA}|## is 2

By taking ##|\vec{BA}|=2## and ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}##, I got ##|AC|=\sqrt{5}## so the minimum perimeter is ##3+\sqrt{5}##

Where is my mistake? Thanks

Following your strategy, I get the same (wrong) result. I guess it is the cosine that leads to the mistake. ##\phi## isn't independent of ##A## so you cannot treat it as a constant.

How about the following strategy:

We may assume ##B=(0,0)## and ##C=(1,0)## and ##A=(x,y)## with ##y>0.##
Then the condition reads ##\sqrt{(x-\lambda )^2+y^2}\geq 2## which implies ##y\geq 2.##
The minimal perimeter is then ##1+\sqrt{x^2+y^2}+\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2}## which is obviously minimal for ##y=2.## Thus we have to minimize the function ##f(x)=\sqrt{x^2+4}+\sqrt{(x-1)^2+4}.##

Likes songoku
Thank you very much andrewkirk and fresh_42

1. What are the constraints for finding the minimum perimeter of a triangle?

The constraints for finding the minimum perimeter of a triangle are that the triangle must be a valid triangle, meaning it must have three sides of positive length, and the sum of any two sides must be greater than the third side.

2. How do I find the minimum perimeter of a triangle with these constraints?

To find the minimum perimeter of a triangle with these constraints, you can use the formula for the perimeter of a triangle, which is the sum of all three sides. You can then use algebraic equations to manipulate the side lengths to minimize the perimeter.

3. Can I use any method to find the minimum perimeter of a triangle?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to find the minimum perimeter of a triangle with these constraints. Some common methods include using algebraic equations, geometric constructions, and calculus techniques.

4. What is the significance of finding the minimum perimeter of a triangle?

Finding the minimum perimeter of a triangle can help us understand the properties and relationships of triangles. It can also be useful in real-world applications, such as optimizing the use of materials in construction or minimizing the cost of fencing a triangular area.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the minimum perimeter of a triangle?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the minimum perimeter of a triangle. These include equilateral triangles, which have all three sides equal in length, and degenerate triangles, which have two sides of equal length and a third side of length zero. These cases may require different approaches to finding the minimum perimeter.