Find the missing digits in this problem about an invoice

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
In summary, to find the missing digits in ## x679y ##, we can first determine that ## y=2 ## based on the fact that ## 8 ## divides ## 79y ##. From there, we can easily find that ## x=3 ##, giving us the complete number of ## 36792 ##.
Math100
Homework Statement
An old and some what illegible invoice shows that ## 72 ## canned hams were purchased for ## $x67.9y ##. Find the missing digits.
Relevant Equations
None.
Consider the missing digits in ## x679y ##.
Then ## 72\mid x679y ##.
Note that ## 72=8\cdot 9 ##.
This means ## 8\mid x679y ## and ## 9\mid x679y ##.
Now we have
\begin{align*}
&x679y\equiv 0\pmod {9}\\
&\implies (x+6+7+9+y)\equiv 0\pmod {9}\\
&\implies (x+y+22)\equiv 0\pmod {9}\\
&\implies (x+y+4)\equiv 0\pmod {9}.\\
\end{align*}
Thus ## x679y=x\cdot 10^{4}+6\cdot 10^{3}+7\cdot 10^{2}+9\cdot 10+y ##.
Observe that ## x679y\equiv 0\pmod {8}\implies x679y\equiv (4+2+y)\pmod {8}\implies (6+y)\equiv 0\pmod {8} ##
because ## 10^{3}\equiv 0\pmod {8} ## and ## 10^{4}\equiv 0\pmod {8} ##.
Since ## (6+y)\equiv 0\pmod {8}\implies y=2 ##, it follows that ## (x+6)\equiv 0\pmod {9}\implies x=3 ##.
Therefore, the missing digits are ## x=3 ## and ## y=2 ##.

Likes Delta2 and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: An old and some what illegible invoice shows that ## 72 ## canned hams were purchased for ## $x67.9y ##. Find the missing digits.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Consider the missing digits in ## x679y ##.
Then ## 72\mid x679y ##.
Note that ## 72=8\cdot 9 ##.
This means ## 8\mid x679y ## and ## 9\mid x679y ##.
Now we have
\begin{align*}
&x679y\equiv 0\pmod {9}\\
&\implies (x+6+7+9+y)\equiv 0\pmod {9}\\
&\implies (x+y+22)\equiv 0\pmod {9}\\
&\implies (x+y+4)\equiv 0\pmod {9}.\\
\end{align*}
Thus ## x679y=x\cdot 10^{4}+6\cdot 10^{3}+7\cdot 10^{2}+9\cdot 10+y ##.
Observe that ## x679y\equiv 0\pmod {8}\implies x679y\equiv (4+2+y)\pmod {8}\implies (6+y)\equiv 0\pmod {8} ##
because ## 10^{3}\equiv 0\pmod {8} ## and ## 10^{4}\equiv 0\pmod {8} ##.
Since ## (6+y)\equiv 0\pmod {8}\implies y=2 ##, it follows that ## (x+6)\equiv 0\pmod {9}\implies x=3 ##.
Therefore, the missing digits are ## x=3 ## and ## y=2 ##.
Correct.

I would determine ##y## first. We must have that ##8## divides ##79y##, the right most 3 digits, That will give you that ##y=2## .

After that, it's almost trivial to find that ##x=3## .

1. How do I find the missing digits in an invoice?

The best way to find missing digits in an invoice is to carefully examine the numbers that are already present. Look for patterns and relationships between the known numbers and use them to deduce the missing digits. You can also try using basic math operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to fill in the gaps.

2. Can I use a calculator to find the missing digits in an invoice?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help you find the missing digits in an invoice. However, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. Using a calculator can be a helpful tool, but it is always best to rely on your own problem-solving skills.

3. What should I do if I can't figure out the missing digits in an invoice?

If you are having trouble finding the missing digits in an invoice, don't panic. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. It can also be helpful to ask a colleague or friend for their input, as they may have a different approach or idea that could help you solve the problem.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should try to find the missing digits?

There is no specific order in which you should try to find the missing digits in an invoice. It is important to approach the problem systematically and try different methods until you find a solution. You may find it helpful to start with the most obvious or simplest numbers and work your way towards the more complex ones.

5. Can I use estimation to find the missing digits in an invoice?

Yes, estimation can be a useful tool when trying to find missing digits in an invoice. You can use estimation to get a rough idea of what the missing digits could be, and then use more precise methods to narrow down the possibilities. However, it is important to keep in mind that estimation may not always provide an accurate answer, so it should be used in conjunction with other problem-solving techniques.