Find the probability that E' occurs at least once

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of event E' occurring at least once, using the complement rule. The probability of E' never occurring is found and then subtracted from 1 to get the final probability. It is also mentioned that sometimes using the complement rule can be simpler and more efficient than computing the probability directly. The use of symbols such as P(A) and P(B) are also discussed.
mathlearn
Data

Below are the possible observations of a random experiment in a tree diagram.Each time it is observed whether the event E defined in part i occurs or not.

View attachment 5990Where do I need help

Many Thanks :)

Attachments

• tree.png
    tree.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
Data

Below are the possible observations of a random experiment in a tree diagram.Each time it is observed whether the event E defined in part i occurs or not.

Where do I need help

Many Thanks :)

Hey mathlearn!

The probability that E' occurs at least once is 1 minus the probability that E' never occurs.
What is the probability hat E' never occurs? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey mathlearn!

The probability that E' occurs at least once is 1 minus the probability that E' never occurs.
What is the probability hat E' never occurs? (Wondering)

$\frac{5}{9}*\frac{5}{9}=\frac{25}{81}$

Now to proceed? Subtract 1 from both sides?

mathlearn said:
$\frac{5}{9}*\frac{5}{9}=\frac{25}{81}$

Now to proceed? Subtract 1 from both sides?

Here's a way to look at why ILS pointed you to find the probability that E' never occurs, that is, to use the complement:

We know it is certain that either E' never occurs (we'll call that event A) OR E' occurs at least once (we'll call that event B and this is what we are trying to find). We may state this mathematically as:

\(\displaystyle P(A)+P(B)=1\)

Since we are trying to find $P(B)$, let's arrange this as:

\(\displaystyle P(B)=1-P(A)\)

You've already found $P(A)$, so plug that in and then simplify to get $P(B)$.

Sometimes it's simpler and more efficient to find the complement, and use the complement rule, instead of computing the required probability directly. :D

MarkFL said:
Here's a way to look at why ILS pointed you to find the probability that E' never occurs, that is, to use the complement:

We know it is certain that either E' never occurs (we'll call that event A) OR E' occurs at least once (we'll call that event B and this is what we are trying to find). We may state this mathematically as:

\(\displaystyle P(A)+P(B)=1\)

Since we are trying to find $P(B)$, let's arrange this as:

\(\displaystyle P(B)=1-P(A)\)

You've already found $P(A)$, so plug that in and then simplify to get $P(B)$.

Sometimes it's simpler and more efficient to find the complement, and use the complement rule, instead of computing the required probability directly. :D
$\displaystyle P(B)=1-P(A)$
$\displaystyle P(B)=1- \frac{25}{81}$
$\displaystyle P(B)=\frac{81}{81}- \frac{25}{81}$
$\displaystyle P(B)=\frac{56}{81}$

Correct ? :rolleyes:

mathlearn said:
$\displaystyle P(B)=1-P(A)$
$\displaystyle P(B)=\frac{56}{81}$

Correct ? :rolleyes:

Well, let's check your answer by computing the probability directly...

\(\displaystyle P(B)=\frac{5}{9}\cdot\frac{4}{9}+\frac{4}{9}\cdot\frac{5}{9}+\frac{4}{9}\cdot\frac{4}{9}=\frac{20+20+16}{81}=\frac{56}{81}\quad\checkmark\)

You see, by using the complements rule, you only had to analyze one path in the tree diagram, whereas when I computed the probability directly, I had to analyze three paths.

(Party)(Party)(Happy) Perfectly explained! Thank you very much MarkFL & I Like Serena.

Can $\displaystyle P(A)+P(B)=1$ be replaced with $\displaystyle P(E)+P(E')=1$ if necessary?

mathlearn said:
(Party)(Party)(Happy) Perfectly explained! Thank you very much MarkFL & I Like Serena.

Can $\displaystyle P(A)+P(B)=1$ be replaced with $\displaystyle P(E)+P(E')=1$ if necessary?

As long as you know what your symbols stand for, then what you choose is fine. (Yes)

1. What is the meaning of "E' occurs at least once" in probability?

In probability, "E' occurs at least once" means that the event E' happens at least one time within a series of trials or experiments.

2. How do you calculate the probability of E' occurring at least once?

The probability of E' occurring at least once can be calculated by subtracting the probability of E' not occurring at all from 1. This can also be written as 1 - P(E'), where P(E') is the probability of E' occurring in a single trial.

3. Can the probability of E' occurring at least once be greater than 1?

No, the probability of any event occurring cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event is impossible.

4. How is the probability of E' occurring at least once related to the number of trials or experiments?

The probability of E' occurring at least once increases as the number of trials or experiments increases. This is because the more trials or experiments there are, the more opportunities there are for the event E' to occur.

5. Can the probability of E' occurring at least once be calculated if the individual probabilities of each trial are known?

Yes, the probability of E' occurring at least once can be calculated using the formula 1 - (1 - P(E'))^n, where n is the number of trials or experiments and P(E') is the probability of E' occurring in a single trial. This formula is called the binomial probability formula.