Find the Special Point of a Triangular Pyramid: Proof Explained

• MHB
  • Thread starter veronica1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pyramid
In summary, the point F, which is the closest point on plane ABC to point V, is the special point of triangle ABC known as the incentre. This is due to the fact that the lateral faces of the pyramid all have the same height drawn from V, creating a sphere that touches each side of the base of the pyramid and intersects with the plane ABC at the incircle of the triangle.
veronica1999
Suppose that the lateral faces VAB, VBC, and V CA of triangular pyramid VABC
all have the same height drawn from V . Let F be the point in plane ABC that is closest
to V , so that VF is the altitude of the pyramid. Show that F is one of the special points
of triangle ABC.

I made the triangular pyramid and I think the special point is the median.
Am I correct?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
veronica1999 said:
Suppose that the lateral faces VAB, VBC, and VCA of triangular pyramid VABC
all have the same height drawn from V . Let F be the point in plane ABC that is closest
to V , so that VF is the altitude of the pyramid. Show that F is one of the special points
of triangle ABC.

I made the triangular pyramid and I think the special point is the median.
Am I correct?

Thanks.
Let $d$ be the "height drawn from $V$" of the three lateral faces. The sphere of radius $d$ centred at $V$ touches (tangentially) each of the three sides $BC$, $CA$, $AB$, of the base of the pyramid. Therefore the intersection of the sphere with the plane $ABC$ is the incircle of the triangle $ABC$. The line $VF$ is perpendicular to the plane $ABC$, so that $F$ is the centre of that circle. So I reckon that $F$ is the incentre of the triangle.

1. What is a triangular pyramid?

A triangular pyramid is a three-dimensional geometric shape with a triangular base and three triangular faces that meet at a single point, known as the apex.

2. What is the special point of a triangular pyramid?

The special point of a triangular pyramid is the point where all three faces intersect. It is also known as the centroid or the center of mass of the pyramid.

3. Why is finding the special point of a triangular pyramid important?

Finding the special point of a triangular pyramid is important because it helps to determine the balance and stability of the pyramid. It also has practical applications in engineering and architecture, where the special point is used to distribute weight and ensure structural integrity.

4. How can the special point of a triangular pyramid be found?

The special point of a triangular pyramid can be found by first finding the centroid of the triangular base, which is the point where the medians of the base intersect. Then, using the formula for the volume of a pyramid, the height of the pyramid can be calculated. The special point is located at one-third of the height from the base to the apex along the median of one of the faces.

5. Is there a proof for finding the special point of a triangular pyramid?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for finding the special point of a triangular pyramid. It involves using the properties of similar triangles and the formula for the volume of a pyramid. The proof can be found in many geometry textbooks or online resources.