Find the time taken to travel from top of slope to base - Mechanics

In summary, the cyclist's initial velocity is 1.5 m/s and his acceleration is 2 m/s2 when he reaches the top of the slope.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see attached
Relevant Equations
##s##=##ut##+##\frac {1}{2}####at^2##
Now this is a textbook example with solution.

1639382719970.png

I understand working to solution...my only reservation is on how they used acceleration. The cyclist, i understand was traveling at a constant acceleration of ##2## ##m/s^2## before reaching the top part of the slope.
Now, if he is descending, which outrightly is deceleration or rather retardation, then are we assuming that he is traveling at the same constant rate of acceleration?

ok, i think i get it now...When going down the slope we are now going to have our initial velocity being ##u=1.5####m/s##...
i had to imagine/visualize a cyclist in motion going up a slope then change of direction to negative slope (still in motion)...then it is clear that the initial velocity will be ##1.5##m/s^2##...cheers guys... :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
I understand working to solution...my only reservation is on how they used acceleration. The cyclist, i understand was traveling at a constant acceleration of ##2## ##m/s^2## before reaching the top part of the slope.
That's not how I read it. I interpreted it to mean that the cyclist's acceleration is 2 m/s2 starting at the top. However, this is irrelevant because the position and speed at the top are both known, so it doesn't matter what happened before.

chwala said:
Now, if he is descending, which outrightly is deceleration or rather retardation, then are we assuming that he is traveling at the same constant rate of acceleration?
Why deceleration? The cyclist is going faster going down the hill, which is usually what happens! The speed is to be considered here with respect to the ground, not along two Cartesian coordinates.

chwala said:
ok, i think i get it now...When going down the slope we are now going to have our initial velocity being ##u=1.5####m/s##...
i had to imagine/visualize a cyclist in motion going up a slope then change of direction to negative slope (still in motion)...then it is clear that the initial acceleration will be ##2####m/s^2##...cheers guys... :smile:
See above.

DrClaude said:
That's not how I read it. I interpreted it to mean that the cyclist's acceleration is 2 m/s2 starting at the top. However, this is irrelevant because the position and speed at the top are both known, so it doesn't matter what happened before.Why deceleration? The cyclist is going faster going down the hill, which is usually what happens! The speed is to be considered here with respect to the ground, not along two Cartesian coordinates.See above.
Thanks. Noted with regards...

1. How is the time taken to travel from the top of a slope to the base calculated?

The time taken to travel from the top of a slope to the base is calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the slope, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Does the mass of the object affect the time taken to travel down the slope?

No, the mass of the object does not affect the time taken to travel down the slope. This is because the equation for calculating time does not include mass as a variable. The only factors that affect the time are the height of the slope and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of the slope affect the time taken to travel down?

The angle of the slope does not directly affect the time taken to travel down. However, a steeper slope will result in a greater height, which will in turn result in a shorter time. This is because the time taken is inversely proportional to the square root of the height.

4. Is air resistance taken into account when calculating the time taken to travel down a slope?

No, air resistance is not taken into account when calculating the time taken to travel down a slope. This is because the equation used assumes a frictionless environment. In reality, air resistance can affect the time taken, but it is usually negligible for most slopes.

5. Can this equation be used for any slope, regardless of its shape or surface?

Yes, this equation can be used for any slope as long as the initial velocity is zero and the slope is frictionless. This includes slopes with different shapes and surfaces, as long as the height and acceleration due to gravity are known.