Find the vector, parametric, symmetric equations of a line

In summary: The results of substituting the other s value into the equation still yield the same result, which is [x2, y2, z2]=-n[1,2,2].
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

Find the vector, parametric and symmetric equations of a line that intersect both line 1 and line 2 at 90°.

L1:
x = 4 + 2t
y = 8 + 3t
z = -1 − 4t

L2:
x = 7 - 6t
y = 2+ t
z = -1 + 2t

Homework Equations

vector, parametric, symmetric equations of line in R3 and cross product equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained the direction vector for the line (L3) that intersects L1 and L2. It is [1,2,2].

And I let the point of intersection between L3 and L1 be:
[x1,y1,z1]=[4,8-1]+t[2,3,-4], tεℝ

And let the point of intersection between L3 and L2 be:
[x2,y2,z2] = [7,2,-1]+s[-6,1,2], sεℝ

And now to find the scalar multiple of direction vector of the L3 that intersects point 1 and point 2.
So, [x1,y1,z1]+n[1,2,2]=[x2, y2, z2], nεℝ

And when I solve I obtain s=-1, n=-1,..
But then I saw a different approach in which the individual used,

[x1,y1,z1]-[x2, y2, z2]=n[1,2,2], nεℝ

And this yields, s=1, n=1, t=-1.

So my question is which method is accurate/correct, or does it not really matter a great deal?

Physics news on Phys.org
NATURE.M said:

Homework Statement

Find the vector, parametric and symmetric equations of a line that intersect both line 1 and line 2 at 90°.

L1:
x = 4 + 2t
y = 8 + 3t
z = -1 − 4t

L2:
x = 7 - 6t
y = 2+ t
z = -1 + 2t

Homework Equations

vector, parametric, symmetric equations of line in R3 and cross product equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained the direction vector for the line (L3) that intersects L1 and L2. It is [1,2,2].

And I let the point of intersection between L3 and L1 be:
[x1,y1,z1]=[4,8-1]+t[2,3,-4], tεℝ

And let the point of intersection between L3 and L2 be:
[x2,y2,z2] = [7,2,-1]+s[-6,1,2], sεℝ

And now to find the scalar multiple of direction vector of the L3 that intersects point 1 and point 2.
So, [x1,y1,z1]+n[1,2,2]=[x2, y2, z2], nεℝ

And when I solve I obtain s=-1, n=-1,..
But then I saw a different approach in which the individual used,

[x1,y1,z1]-[x2, y2, z2]=n[1,2,2], nεℝ

And this yields, s=1, n=1, t=-1.

So my question is which method is accurate/correct, or does it not really matter a great deal?
Take your equation,  [x1,y1,z1] + n[1,2,2] = [x2, y2, z2]  and rearrange it to

[STRIKE][x1,y1,z1] - n[x2, y2, z2] = -n[1,2,2] .[/STRIKE]

[x1,y1,z1] - [x2, y2, z2] = -n[1,2,2] .

This is equivalent to the other individual's result !

Edited post to fix typo.

Last edited:
But there not equivalent. If you rearrange, [x1,y1,z1]+n[1,2,2]=[x2, y2, z2]
We obtain:[x1,y1,z1]-[x2, y2, z2]=-n[1,2,2] or [x2, y2, z2]-[x1,y1,z1]=n[1,2,2], which are not equivalent to [x1,y1,z1]-[x2, y2, z2]=n[1,2,2]---subtraction is not commutative.
And plus, if they were equivalent how would the s,t and n values obtained vary??
So once again does it not matter which method you use, or is there something I'm missing?

NATURE.M said:
But there not equivalent. If you rearrange, [x1,y1,z1]+n[1,2,2]=[x2, y2, z2]
We obtain:[x1,y1,z1]-[x2, y2, z2]=-n[1,2,2] or [x2, y2, z2]-[x1,y1,z1]=n[1,2,2], which are not equivalent to [x1,y1,z1]-[x2, y2, z2]=n[1,2,2]---subtraction is not commutative.
And plus, if they were equivalent how would the s,t and n values obtained vary??
So once again does it not matter which method you use, or is there something I'm missing?
Your n is equal to -n of your 'friend' , but that just makes the equations exactly equivalent, if you have the same t as he/she.

Okay I see what your saying. So then it really doesn't matter which equation I use.
Thanks.

One other question, when you substitute the s=-1 value into the equation
[x2,y2,z2] = [7,2,-1]+s[-6,1,2] the answer varies when you input the other s value.
But would it still be right??

1. What are vector, parametric, and symmetric equations of a line?

Vector, parametric, and symmetric equations are three different ways to represent a line in three-dimensional space. A vector equation uses a direction vector and a point on the line to describe the line's direction and position. A parametric equation uses two or three parameters to describe the coordinates of points on the line. A symmetric equation uses the coordinates of a point on the line and the direction vector to describe the line's position and orientation.

2. How do you find the vector equation of a line?

To find the vector equation of a line, you need a point on the line (P) and a direction vector (d). The vector equation is written as r = P + td, where t is a scalar variable. This equation can also be written as (x, y, z) = (x0, y0, z0) + t(a, b, c), where (x0, y0, z0) are the coordinates of the point P and (a, b, c) are the components of the direction vector d.

3. How do you find the parametric equation of a line?

To find the parametric equation of a line, you need a point on the line (P) and a direction vector (d). The parametric equation is written as x = x0 + at, y = y0 + bt, and z = z0 + ct, where (x0, y0, z0) are the coordinates of the point P and (a, b, c) are the components of the direction vector d.

4. How do you find the symmetric equation of a line?

To find the symmetric equation of a line, you need a point on the line (P) and a direction vector (d). The symmetric equation is written as (x - x0)/a = (y - y0)/b = (z - z0)/c, where (x0, y0, z0) are the coordinates of the point P and (a, b, c) are the components of the direction vector d. This equation can also be written as (x - x0) = (y - y0)/b = (z - z0)/c, where b and c are not equal to 0.

5. How do you convert between vector, parametric, and symmetric equations of a line?

To convert between vector, parametric, and symmetric equations of a line, you need to use the relationships between the different forms. For example, to convert from vector to parametric equations, you can set each component of the vector equation equal to the corresponding component in the parametric equation. Similarly, to convert from parametric to symmetric equations, you can set the equations for x, y, and z equal to each other. It is important to note that not all lines have all three forms of equations, and some forms may be more useful in certain situations.