Finding a & b with Raised Digits

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
What about others that are viewing the post?That's a fair point, but I still think it's best to avoid lengthy posts that essentially repeat what has already been said. It can be frustrating for the original poster to scroll through multiple similar responses. In this case, the original post (#6) was already quite detailed and clear, so I don't see the need for further elaboration. It's also important to give credit to the original post if using their ideas.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

Given are two integers a and b: a has 2 digits and b has 4 digits. All digits are smaller than 9. a and b are such that [itex] a^2 = b [/itex].

If all digits are raised by one this is still valid. What are a and b?

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose [itex] a = a_0 \cdot 10^0 + a_1 \cdot 10^1 [/itex]

and [itex] b = b_0 \cdot 10^0 + b_1 \cdot 10^1 + b_2 \cdot 10^2 + b_3 \cdot 10^3 [/itex]

then it gets messy if I use [itex] a^2 = b [/itex] and if I increase all digits by one.

I think should get two equations with 2 unknowns.

Likes mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try to find the relationship between the numbers whose digits have been increased by one and the originals ( for both 2 and 4 digits?)
Take specific examples to help if you want to.

Likes BvU
dirk_mec1 said:

Homework Statement

Given are two integers a and b: a has 2 digits and b has 4 digits. All digits are smaller than 9. a and b are such that [itex] a^2 = b [/itex].

Homework Equations

N/a

and [itex] b = b_0 \cdot 10^0 + b_1 \cdot 10^1 + b_2 \cdot 10^2 + b_3 \cdot 10^3 [/itex]

then it gets messy if I use [itex] a^2 = b [/itex] and if I increase all digits by one.

Start by looking at squares modulo 10 and think about conditions on ##a_0## and ##b_0##

dirk_mec1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/a

I see no benefit in having separate variables for the digits.
The question wording is a little strange... in what sense 'valid'? I guess they mean that all the conditions for a and b are still true after elevating each digit. Because all digits are less than 9, you can very easily write an algebraic equation representing that the new a and b also satisfy the quadratic relationship. After that it's straightforward.

The nice thing with this problem is that you can narrow down your list of possible answers if you can never solve using relationships (although you should try to use them!). Because of the requirements, you know that a has to be between 32 and 87, with many of those numbers in there also not being possibilities. I wondered how long it would take to solve using guess and check (again, not the ideal method) and I guessed a on my first try! :)
Just to point out that there are always other approaches if you ever get really stuck on an exam or something

So solve:

[itex] a^2=b[/itex] and [itex]
(a+11)^2=(b+1111)[/itex]

=> a =45 and b = 2025.

Last edited:
dirk_mec1 said:
So solve:

[itex] a^2=b[/itex] and [itex]
(a+11)^2=(b+1111)[/itex]

=> a =45 and b = 2025.
That's what I get.

Likes dirk_mec1
a2=b

then:

(a+10+1)2=b+1111

this is the add one to each digit

a2+22a+121=b+1111

then rearrange onto one side

a2+22a-b-990=0

and as seen from the start

b=a2

so

a2+22a-a2-990=0

so

22a-990=0

so

22a=990

and

a=990/22
=45

then substitute this back into the original equation

452=b
b=2025

then to check:

562=3136

hope that helps

StanEvans said:
a2=b

then:

(a+10+1)2=b+1111

this is the add one to each digit

a2+22a+121=b+1111

then rearrange onto one side

a2+22a-b-990=0

and as seen from the start

b=a2

so

a2+22a-a2-990=0

so

22a-990=0

so

22a=990

and

a=990/22
=45

then substitute this back into the original equation

452=b
b=2025

then to check:

562=3136

hope that helps
This appears to be just an elaboration of post #6.

haruspex said:
This appears to be just an elaboration of post #6.
yes sometimes it is easier explained

StanEvans said:
yes sometimes it is easier explained
I don't think dirk_mec needs his own working explained to him.

Likes mfb
haruspex said:
I don't think dirk_mec needs his own working explained to him.
What about others that are viewing the post?

1. How do you find a and b with raised digits?

To find a and b with raised digits, you would first need to have a set of equations or data that involve both a and b. Then, you would use mathematical techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for the values of a and b.

2. What are raised digits in the context of finding a and b?

Raised digits refer to numerical values that are written or represented in a higher position than normal. This is commonly seen in mathematical equations, where the digits may be written in superscript or as exponents.

3. What is the significance of finding a and b with raised digits?

Finding a and b with raised digits can be useful in solving equations or analyzing data sets. The raised digits can often represent important factors or variables in a problem, and solving for their values can provide valuable insights or solutions.

4. Can raised digits be solved without using mathematical techniques?

In some cases, raised digits can be solved without using mathematical techniques. For example, if the equations or data provided have a clear pattern or relationship between a and b, one may be able to solve for their values without using substitution or elimination.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations with raised digits?

When solving equations with raised digits, it is important to keep track of the order of operations and to properly distribute exponents. It can also be helpful to rewrite the equations or data in a more organized format to better visualize the relationship between a and b.