Finding Books on Elementary Particle Physics & Special Relativity

In summary, the speakers are looking for book recommendations for introductory undergraduate level reading material on elementary particle physics and special relativity. They mention having trouble finding good options other than Griffiths and ask for suggestions. One speaker recommends "Particle Physics" by Martin and Shaw for a lower level option, while another suggests "Modern Particle Physics" by Thomson, which also has lecture slides available online.
hagopbul
hello all :

looking for books to read in this times ,undergraduate level mostly , but i have some problem finding good ones for introductory elementary particle physics other than griffths and for special relativity any recommendations

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hagopbul said:
looking for books to read in this times ,undergraduate level mostly , but i have some problem finding good ones for introductory elementary particle physics other than griffths and for special relativity any recommendations
For particle physics, at a lower level than Griffiths, I like "Particle Physics" by Martin and Shaw. At about the same level as Griffiths, I really like "Modern Particle Physics" by Thomson. Thomson has a made an excellent set of 2011 lecture slides available at

https://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~thomson/MPP/ModernParticlePhysics.html

Likes hagopbul and atyy

1. How can I find books on elementary particle physics and special relativity?

There are several ways to find books on this topic. One option is to search for books in your local library's online catalog using keywords such as "elementary particle physics" or "special relativity." Another option is to search for books on online retailers such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble. You can also consult with a librarian or physics professor for recommendations.

2. What are some recommended books on elementary particle physics and special relativity?

Some popular books on this topic include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory" by Leonard Susskind, and "The Particle at the End of the Universe" by Sean Carroll. These books are highly regarded for their clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about elementary particle physics and special relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about these topics. Some reputable sources include online lectures from universities such as MIT and Stanford, as well as educational websites like Khan Academy and Physics Classroom. You can also find free e-books and articles on these subjects through online databases like arXiv.

4. Can I find books on elementary particle physics and special relativity in languages other than English?

Yes, there are books available on this topic in languages other than English. You can search for books in your preferred language on online retailers or consult with a librarian for recommendations. Some popular books on this topic have also been translated into multiple languages.

5. Are there any introductory books on elementary particle physics and special relativity for non-scientists?

Yes, there are several introductory books on this topic that are written for non-scientists. Some examples include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking. These books use accessible language and examples to introduce complex concepts to readers without a scientific background.