Finding Constraints in Polynomial Data: How Many Linear Equations Are Needed?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the number of linear equations needed to model data that follows a linear function. The question was deemed too wordy and the person was unable to find any helpful information in their textbook or other resources. They asked for help in breaking down the question and were eventually able to solve the problem themselves, determining that 2 linear equations are needed. It is important to not delete or edit posts after receiving help, as it devalues the thread and can be seen as cheating. It is also encouraged to post the solution for others to see.
Alaba27
How many linear equations are needed to find the constraints in the polynomial when modelling data that has been found to follow a linear function?"

The question seems way too wordy in itself and I have not been able to find anything useful in my textbook or external resources.

Can someone please help me break it down to help understand what it is looking for?

Edit - Problem Solved! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I solved the problem myself. :eek:
2 linear equations are needed.

Hello and welcome to MHB!

I restored the original content of your first post. When you remove this content, then the thread is greatly devalued and really makes no sense. We discourage such edits to posts in MHB rule #7 which states:

Do not edit or delete questions after getting help. When you edit or delete a question after getting help, you subvert the context of the help and the thread becomes difficult to follow. Moderators will close threads vandalised in this way, restore the deleted question, and infract the offending member. The material posted on MHB is a valuable resource for everyone. It is unacceptable to vandalize this resource. Note that a member who deletes a question after getting help casts suspicion of cheating upon themselves. Be careful what you post. The public can view whatever you post - including all staff and students of the institute at which you may study - and your posts may show up on Google searches. It is good etiquette, if you mark your thread as [SOLVED], to post your solution so that others searching MHB will be able to see the solution and not waste their search time.

While this rule is primarily intended to keep people from removing their questions after getting help, it still applies even if you solve the problem yourself. However, I know you are new and did not intend any harm, so there will be no infraction or closing the thread. I just wanted to inform you of our policy for future reference.

You are welcome to post how you found the solution so that others reading this thread can see what you did. :D

Best Regards,

Mark.

Related to Finding Constraints in Polynomial Data: How Many Linear Equations Are Needed?

1. What is a confusing word problem?

A confusing word problem is a mathematical problem that is written in language instead of numbers. These types of problems can be difficult to solve because they require careful reading and understanding of the given information.

2. How do I solve a confusing word problem?

To solve a confusing word problem, you should first read the problem carefully and identify the important information. Then, you can use math skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to find the solution.

3. Why are confusing word problems challenging?

Confusing word problems can be challenging because they often require multiple steps to solve and may involve complex concepts. Additionally, the language used in these problems can be tricky and may lead to confusion.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving confusing word problems?

To improve your skills in solving confusing word problems, it is important to practice regularly. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and use diagrams or visual aids to help you understand the problem better.

5. What are some common strategies for solving confusing word problems?

Some common strategies for solving confusing word problems include identifying the key information, creating a visual representation of the problem, and using trial and error to find the solution. It is also helpful to check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.