Finding Critical Points and Extrema for g(x, y) = sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + 1}

In summary, the conversation is about finding the critical points and extrema of the function g(x,y) = sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + 1}. The person asking for help is reminded that a solution includes all the steps, not just the final answer. They are also encouraged to attempt the problem first and ask for guidance on where they are stuck. Finally, they are asked if they have a sketch of the region to help estimate where the extrema might be located.
harpazo
Find the critical points and extrema of the function

g (x, y) = sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + 1}. Can someone get me started here? I also would like the solution steps. I said solution steps not the solution.

Do it like this:

Step 1...

Step 2...

Step 3...etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
Find the critical points and extrema of the function

g (x, y) = sqrt {x^2 + y^2 + 1}. Can someone get me started here? I also would like the solution steps. I said solution steps not the solution.

Do it like this:

Step 1...

Step 2...

Step 3...etc...

Sigh.

First of all, a "solution" is NOT the final answer, as you are implying here. A solution IS all the steps involved. And you won't get them here, as it is expected that students attempt their problems first, show where they have gotten stuck, and then get some guidance on how to proceed. In short, YOU will be doing your work, not us.

As for getting started, have you at least done a sketch of your region? That might at least give you a ball park estimate of where the extrema might be...

1. What is a critical point in mathematics?

A critical point is a point on a curve or surface where the derivative is equal to zero. In other words, it is a point where the slope of the curve or surface is flat or horizontal.

2. What is an extremum in calculus?

An extremum is a point where a function reaches its highest or lowest value. It can be a maximum (highest point) or a minimum (lowest point) depending on the shape of the curve or surface.

3. How do you find critical points and extrema?

To find critical points, you need to find the points where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. To find extrema, you need to check the second derivative of the function at the critical points. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum; if it is negative, the critical point is a maximum.

4. What is the significance of critical points and extrema in mathematics?

Critical points and extrema are important in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of a function. They can tell us where a function is increasing or decreasing, and where it reaches its highest or lowest values. They are also used in optimization problems to find the best solution.

5. Can a function have more than one critical point or extremum?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points and extrema. These points can be local (only affecting a small region of the function) or global (affecting the entire function). It is important to consider all critical points when analyzing a function to get a complete understanding of its behavior.