Finding equal potential points in electric circuits

In summary, the solution to the problem says that the points I, M, and the points H, B are at equal potential, so you can connect them together.
anachin6000
Hi! I have a real problem in understanding the use of symmetry for finding equal potential points in nasty electric circuits. There are lots of problems were the solution simply says: "due to symmetry reasons, nodes X and Y have equal potential", but I rarely really understand the so called symmetry. So far I haven't found someone to properly explain to me how this really works.

To better explain myself, I annexed a cubic circuit. The problem asks to find the equivalent resistance when the circuit is connected to a voltage source between points S and A. The values for R1 and R2 are considered known. The solution says that the points I, M and the points H, B are at equal potential, so you can connect them together. Why those points?
Bare in mind, this is no homework, just an example (though I would be grateful if anyone would help me understand it).

So, can anyone explain me how to find symmetry in similar cases or suggest a paper on this topic?

Attachments

• Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    22.4 KB · Views: 583
Physics news on Phys.org
You can quickly find candidates just by looking at the vertices, checking them is more work:
Are there vertices with 3 R1? T and A, but as the voltage source is connected to A those are not at the same potential.
Are there vertices with 2 R1 and 1 R2? I, M, B, H. Both I and M are connected to S via R2, both B and H are connected to A via R1. Possible candidates.
Are there vertices with 1 R2 and 2 R2? No.
Are there vertices with 3 R2? C and S. Same argument as with T and A: not at the same potential.

Can I/M and B/H be pairs at the same potential?
I is connected to S via R2, to T via R1, to H via R1.
M is connected to S via R2, to T via R1, to B via R1. They are at the same potential if B and H are at the same potential.
The same analysis for B/H shows that they are at the same potential if I and M are at the same potential. In other words, the points are symmetric, and at the same potential within the pairs.

Likes anachin6000
mfb said:
You can quickly find candidates just by looking at the vertices, checking them is more work:
Are there vertices with 3 R1? T and A, but as the voltage source is connected to A those are not at the same potential.
Are there vertices with 2 R1 and 1 R2? I, M, B, H. Both I and M are connected to S via R2, both B and H are connected to A via R1. Possible candidates.
Are there vertices with 1 R2 and 2 R2? No.
Are there vertices with 3 R2? C and S. Same argument as with T and A: not at the same potential.

Can I/M and B/H be pairs at the same potential?
I is connected to S via R2, to T via R1, to H via R1.
M is connected to S via R2, to T via R1, to B via R1. They are at the same potential if B and H are at the same potential.
The same analysis for B/H shows that they are at the same potential if I and M are at the same potential. In other words, the points are symmetric, and at the same potential within the pairs.
Thank you!This was really helpful and revealing.

Likes mfb

1. What are equal potential points in electric circuits?

Equal potential points are locations in an electric circuit where the electric potential or voltage is the same. This means that there is no potential difference between these points, making them electrically neutral.

2. How do you find equal potential points in an electric circuit?

To find equal potential points, you can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at different points in the circuit. Equal potential points will have the same voltage reading, indicating that they are at the same potential.

3. Why is it important to find equal potential points in electric circuits?

It is important to find equal potential points in electric circuits because it helps to ensure that the circuit is functioning correctly and that there are no potential differences that could cause damage to the circuit or harm to individuals. It also allows for the proper distribution of electricity throughout the circuit.

4. Can equal potential points change in an electric circuit?

Yes, equal potential points can change in an electric circuit if there are changes in the circuit, such as the addition or removal of components, or if there is a change in the power supply. However, if the circuit remains unchanged, the equal potential points will remain the same.

5. How do equal potential points affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

Equal potential points do not affect the flow of electricity in a circuit. They simply indicate that there is no potential difference at those points, which means that the electric charge will not flow between them. The flow of electricity is determined by the presence of potential differences in the circuit.