Finding Formula without using any trig functions

In summary, to find a formula for g(x)= sin(arccos(4x-1)) without using any trigonometric functions, you can use the Pythagorean Identity to get g(x) = ±√(8x - 16x^2).
khuangg
Find a formula for g(x)= sin(arccos(4x-1)) without using any trigonometric functions.

I have the answer key right in front of me, but i still get how to start it off or the steps in solving these kind of questions or how to do it at all :/

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
:Hello, khuangg!

Find a formula for $\,g(x)\,=\, \sin\big[\arccos(4x-1)\big]$
without using any trigonometric functions.
Not sure what that means.

Let $\theta \,=\,\arccos(4x-1)$

Then:$\:\cos\theta \:=\:\dfrac{4x-1}{1} \:=\:\dfrac{adj}{hyp}$

$\theta$ is in a right triangle with: $\,adj= 4x-1,\; hyp = 1.$

Pythagorus: $\:\text{(opp)}^2 + \text{(adj)}^2 \;=\; \text{(hyp)}^2$
$\qquad\qquad \text{(opp)}^2 + (4x-1)^2 \;=\;1^2$

And we have: $\: opp = \sqrt{8x-16x^2}$

Therefore: $\:\sin\theta \;=\;\dfrac{opp}{hyp} \;=\;\sqrt{8x-16x^2}$

\(\displaystyle \theta = \arccos(4x-1) \implies \cos{\theta} = \frac{4x-1}{1}\)

\(\displaystyle g(x) = \sin{\theta} = \frac{y}{1} = \frac{\sqrt{1^2-(4x-1)^2}}{1} = \sqrt{8x-16x^2}\)

As beautiful as it is to draw up a right-angle triangle and apply Pythagoras, in cases like these I prefer to use the Pythagorean Identity, simply because it is quite possible that the angle given is not in the first quadrant, and so the signs may be off...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sin{ \left[ \arccos{ \left( 4x - 1 \right) } \right] } &= \pm \sqrt{ 1 - \left\{ \cos{ \left[ \arccos{ \left( 4x - 1 \right) } \right] } \right\} ^2 } \\ &= \pm \sqrt{ 1 - \left( 4x - 1 \right) ^2 } \\ &= \pm \sqrt{ 1 - \left( 16x^2 - 8x + 1 \right) } \\ &= \pm \sqrt{ 8x - 16x^2 } \end{align*}$

Prove It said:
As beautiful as it is to draw up a right-angle triangle and apply Pythagoras, in cases like these I prefer to use the Pythagorean Identity, simply because it is quite possible that the angle given is not in the first quadrant, and so the signs may be off...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sin{ \left[ \arccos{ \left( 4x - 1 \right) } \right] } &= \pm \sqrt{ 1 - \left\{ \cos{ \left[ \arccos{ \left( 4x - 1 \right) } \right] } \right\} ^2 } \\ &= \pm \sqrt{ 1 - \left( 4x - 1 \right) ^2 } \\ &= \pm \sqrt{ 1 - \left( 16x^2 - 8x + 1 \right) } \\ &= \pm \sqrt{ 8x - 16x^2 } \end{align*}$

... and in that case, g(x) would not be a function.

1. How can I find a formula without using any trig functions?

There are a few methods for finding formulas without using trig functions. One approach is to use geometric constructions and basic algebraic equations. Another method is to use calculus and derivatives to find the slopes and curves of a graph, which can then be used to determine a formula.

2. Can I still find a formula without using trig functions if my data involves angles?

Yes, even if your data involves angles, you can still find a formula without using trig functions. As mentioned before, using geometric constructions and basic algebraic equations can help you find a formula. Additionally, you can also use inverse functions, such as inverse tangent, to convert the angles into ratios or fractions that can be used in algebraic equations.

3. Is it easier to find a formula with or without using trig functions?

This ultimately depends on the problem at hand and your familiarity with trigonometric functions. For some problems, using trig functions may be simpler and more efficient. However, for other problems, finding a formula without using trig functions may be easier and more straightforward.

4. Are there any limitations to finding formulas without using trig functions?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding formulas without using trig functions. Trigonometric functions are powerful tools that can help solve complex problems involving angles and curves. Without using them, it may be more difficult to find exact or precise solutions in some cases.

5. How can I improve my skills in finding formulas without using trig functions?

To improve your skills in finding formulas without using trig functions, it is important to have a strong understanding of algebraic equations and geometric constructions. Practicing with various problems and seeking guidance from a math teacher or tutor can also help you improve in this area.