Finding Magnetic Moment from Pull Force

In summary, the speaker needs a magnet with a magnetic dipole strength of 0.3 A*m^2 for an undergraduate project but is having trouble finding one because most distributors only list their magnets in terms of "pull force." They suggest looking for a magnet with a magnetization (per unit volume) of around 1.0-1.5 T, which would require a volume of approximately 0.2 m^3 and may weigh around 1 ton. The speaker acknowledges that they may have misinterpreted something, as this magnet would be quite large.
Matt Klosterman
For an undergraduate project, I need a magnet with a magnetic dipole strength of 0.3 A*m^2. However, all distributors I can find only list their magnets in terms of "pull force" which appears to be defined as the force between a magnet and a steel plate. How do I find a magnet with the dipole I require? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I interpret it correctly, the dipole strength for a magnetic dipole current loop is given by ## \mu=IA ##. For a magnet with magnetization (per unit volume) ## M ##, and volume ## V ## , this also gives a dipole strength of ## \mu=MV ##. Magnetization ## M ## has the same units as ## B ##, since ## B=\mu_o H+M ##. Manufacturers will sometimes list the magnetization ## M ##, and something around ## 1.0 \, T<M<1.5 \, T ## is reasonably common for a high quality magnet. This means the volume of this magnet is going to need to be ## V \approx .2 \, m^3 ##. Perhaps I have misinterpreted something, because this magnet would be quite large, and might weigh about 1 ton.

1. How is magnetic moment related to pull force?

The magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It is related to the pull force because as the magnetic moment increases, so does the strength of the magnetic field, resulting in a greater pull force between two magnets.

2. Can magnetic moment be calculated from pull force?

Yes, the magnetic moment can be calculated from pull force using the equation M = Fd/2π, where M is the magnetic moment, F is the pull force, and d is the distance between the two magnets.

3. What units is magnetic moment measured in?

Magnetic moment is typically measured in ampere-meters squared (A m²) or joules per tesla (J/T).

4. How does the shape of a magnet affect its magnetic moment?

The shape of a magnet can affect its magnetic moment by altering the distribution of poles and the strength of the magnetic field. A longer and thinner magnet will have a higher magnetic moment compared to a shorter and thicker magnet.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating magnetic moment from pull force?

The accuracy of calculating magnetic moment from pull force can be affected by factors such as the distance between the two magnets, the shape and size of the magnets, and any external magnetic fields that may interfere with the measurement. It is important to carefully control these variables for an accurate calculation.