Finding mole and mass fractions?

In summary: Also, if you can't answer the question, do not start a new thread - ask for help in the same one where you were already given a hint.
cherrymilk

Homework Statement

Ti-6Al-4V is a metal alloy used to make biomaterials. Its composition is 90% Ti; 6% Al and 4% V (mass percentages).

(a) What are the mass fractions of Ti, Al and V?

(b) What are the mole fractions of Ti, Al and V?

Homework Equations

Mass fraction = m/mtotal
Mole fraction = n/ntotal

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was find the molar mass of Ti-6Al-4V, which came out to be 413.527g. Then, using this information, I found the masses of Ti, Al and V using the following method:

Mass of Ti: (90%)(413.527) = 372.174g
Mass of Al: (6%)(413.527) = 24.812g
Mass of V: (4%)(413.527) = 16.541g

I then started to find the mass fractions by dividing the masses I had found by the molar mass like so:

Mass fraction of Ti: (327.174)/(413.527) = 0.9

I found the mass fractions of Al and of V in a similar fashion, getting 0.06 and 0.04 respectively.

My question is: was this the correct approach to the problem? When I started part (b), I realized that the 'mass fractions' I had found in part (a) used the equation n = m/M and that's why I'm a bit confused. Say that 0.9 is the number of moles of Ti, 0.06 is the number of moles of Al and 0.04 is the number of moles of V, that would yield a total number of 1, meaning that the mass and mole fractions would be equal, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all - there is no such thing as a molar mass of an alloy. You can calculate weighted average of the molar masses of elements involved, but it is not a molar mass.

If you have 100g of the alloy, how much of each element does it contain? Mass? Moles?

Interestingly, incorrect approaches sometimes accidentally lead to correct answers.

cherrymilk said:

Homework Statement

Ti-6Al-4V is a metal alloy used to make biomaterials. Its composition is 90% Ti; 6% Al and 4% V (mass percentages).

(a) What are the mass fractions of Ti, Al and V?

(b) What are the mole fractions of Ti, Al and V?

Homework Equations

Mass fraction = m/mtotal
Mole fraction = n/ntotal

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was find the molar mass of Ti-6Al-4V, which came out to be 413.527g. Then, using this information, I found the masses of Ti, Al and V using the following method:

Mass of Ti: (90%)(413.527) = 372.174g
Mass of Al: (6%)(413.527) = 24.812g
Mass of V: (4%)(413.527) = 16.541g

I then started to find the mass fractions by dividing the masses I had found by the molar mass like so:

Mass fraction of Ti: (327.174)/(413.527) = 0.9

I found the mass fractions of Al and of V in a similar fashion, getting 0.06 and 0.04 respectively.

My question is: was this the correct approach to the problem? When I started part (b), I realized that the 'mass fractions' I had found in part (a) used the equation n = m/M and that's why I'm a bit confused. Say that 0.9 is the number of moles of Ti, 0.06 is the number of moles of Al and 0.04 is the number of moles of V, that would yield a total number of 1, meaning that the mass and mole fractions would be equal, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Any help would be much appreciated!

So I think I've figured out what I was doing wrong. This time, I supposed that the compound was in 100g of water.

So, the mass fraction of Ti was 90/100 = 0.9
Mass fraction of Al = 6/100 = 0.6
Mass fraction of V = 4/100 = 0.4

So:

Number of moles of Ti = 90/413.52 = 0.22 moles
Number of moles of Al = 6/413.52 = 0.015 moles
Number of moles of V = 4/413.52 = 0.0097 moles

The total number of moles came out to be 0.24 moles.

With that calculated:

Mole fraction of Ti = 0.22/0.24 = 0.92
Mole fraction of Al = 0.015/0.24 = 0.063
Mole fraction of V = 0.0097/0.24 = 0.040

This seems more logical to me. Is this method correct?

Edit: Borek, I read your reply just as I posted mine! Thanks for the hint!

cherrymilk said:
This time, I supposed that the compound was in 100g of water.

There is no compound (an alloy is not a compound) and there is no need for water.

What is the definition of the percentage composition?

How many grams/moles of Ti in 100 g sample of an alloy containing 90% of Ti?

Borek said:
There is no compound (an alloy is not a compound) and there is no need for water.

What is the definition of the percentage composition?

How many grams/moles of Ti in 100 g sample of an alloy containing 90% of Ti?

So since I've been given mass percentages, I'm considering a 100g sample of Ti-6Al-4V. That wouldn't change the answer, though, would it?

Thank you for being patient with me - I've never taken a thing about alloys!

cherrymilk said:
So since I've been given mass percentages, I'm considering a 100g sample of Ti-6Al-4V. That wouldn't change the answer, though, would it?

Your molar fractions are incorrect.

Please try to answer questions I posted twice. They should point you in the right direction.

Related to Finding mole and mass fractions?

1. What is a mole and mass fraction?

A mole fraction is the ratio of the number of moles of a particular component in a solution to the total number of moles in the solution. A mass fraction is the ratio of the mass of a particular component in a solution to the total mass of the solution.

2. Why are mole and mass fractions important in chemistry?

Mole and mass fractions are important because they allow us to accurately describe the composition of a solution. They also help us to determine the physical and chemical properties of a solution, such as boiling point, freezing point, and vapor pressure.

3. How do you calculate mole and mass fractions?

Mole fractions can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of a particular component by the total number of moles in the solution. Mass fractions can be calculated by dividing the mass of a particular component by the total mass of the solution.

4. What is the relationship between mole and mass fractions?

The relationship between mole and mass fractions is that they both represent the amount of a particular component in a solution. However, mole fraction is based on the number of moles, while mass fraction is based on the mass of a component.

5. How can mole and mass fractions be used in real-world applications?

Mole and mass fractions are used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and chemical manufacturing. They are also important in environmental monitoring and analysis, as well as in research and development processes in chemistry and biology.