Finding multinomial coefficients by evaluation?

• I
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficients
In summary: Summary:: Suppose we have a computer program that evaluates a multinomial. We known the general form, but do not know the coefficients. Is there a convenient way to deduce the coefficients by evaluating the multinomial at particular values of its variables?Suppose we know the general form of a multinomial function (for example ##f(x,y,z) = k_1 x^2 y^3 z + k_2 x^3 z^5##) and we have access to a computer program that can evaluate ##f## at arbitrary values (for example, arbitrary values of ##(x,y,z)##) where the coefficients ( for example, ##k_1## and ##k_2##) are
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Suppose we have a computer program that evaluates a multinomial. We known the general form, but do not know the coefficients. Is there a convenient way to deduce the coefficients by evaluating the multinomial at particular values of its variables?
Suppose we know the general form of a multinomial function (for example ##f(x,y,z) = k_1 x^2 y^3 z + k_2 x^3 z^5##) and we have access to a computer program that can evaluate ##f## at arbitrary values (for example, arbitrary values of ##(x,y,z)##) where the coefficients ( for example, ##k_1## and ##k_2##) are specific numbers that are used by the program, but unknown to us.

Can we conveniently deduce the values of the coefficients by evaluating ##f## at some set of values?

In the above example, we could use ##f(1,0,1)## to deduce ##k_2##. Then we can find ##k_1## by using ##f(1,1,1)##

Is there a general approach that works for more complicated examples? (I mean an approach that is more convenient that solving a system of simultaneous non-linear equations.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Summary:: Suppose we have a computer program that evaluates a multinomial. We known the general form, but do not know the coefficients. Is there a convenient way to deduce the coefficients by evaluating the multinomial at particular values of its variables?

Suppose we know the general form of a multinomial function (for example ##f(x,y,z) = k_1 x^2 y^3 z + k_2 x^3 z^5##) and we have access to a computer program that can evaluate ##f## at arbitrary values (for example, arbitrary values of ##(x,y,z)##) where the coefficients ( for example, ##k_1## and ##k_2##) are specific numbers that are used by the program, but unknown to us.

Can we conveniently deduce the values of the coefficients by evaluating ##f## at some set of values?

In the above example, we could use ##f(1,0,1)## to deduce ##k_2##. Then we can find ##k_1## by using ##f(1,1,1)##

Is there a general approach that works for more complicated examples? (I mean an approach that is more convenient that solving a system of simultaneous non-linear equations.)
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking so this may not be the right answer.

For an equation with ## n ## unknown coefficients k = ## k_{1..n} ##, select ## n ## arbitrary points ## (x_i, y_i \dots) ## and evaluate ## f_i ## at each. For each point, calculate the values of the each of the multinomial terms at that point to give a linear equation ## f_i = k_1\alpha_1 + k_2\alpha_2... +k_n\alpha_n ## You then have ## n ## linear simultaneous equations for the coefficients k which can be solved by elimination.

Having written that down I am sure I must be missing the point?

Just make sure the n sets of points chosen are linearly independent.

Likes pbuk
mathman said:
Just make sure the n sets of points chosen are linearly independent.
Well yes, and also there must (in general) be no zeros otherwise you are going to lose terms.

pbuk said:
For each point, calculate the values of the each of the multinomial terms at that point to give a linear equation ## f_i = k_1\alpha_1 + k_2\alpha_2... +k_n\alpha_n ## You then have ## n ## linear simultaneous equations for the coefficients k which can be solved by elimination.

I agree, but is there a way to get a very simple system of equations (e.g. a system whose matrix is triangular)? Can we look at the collection of sets of exponents involved in the terms ( e.g. {(0,1,1) (2,3,1),(2,2,3)} for ## yz + x^2y^3z + x^2y^3z^3##) and deduce a set of values to use in our evaluations that make the system of equations very easy to solve?

Stephen Tashi said:
Summary:: Suppose we have a computer program that evaluates a multinomial. We known the general form, but do not know the coefficients. Is there a convenient way to deduce the coefficients by evaluating the multinomial at particular values of its variables?

Are your x,y,z Integer-valued variables? You were using (1,1,1) and (1,0,1) as examples, but just to make sure.

Stephen Tashi said:
I agree, but is there a way to get a very simple system of equations (e.g. a system whose matrix is triangular)?
Jacobian elimination on the initial (generally) non-triangular matrix - and if there is difficulty with convergence replace some of the points? Again I think I must be missing the point (excuse the pun).
Stephen Tashi said:
Can we look at the collection of sets of exponents involved in the terms ( e.g. {(0,1,1) (2,3,1),(2,2,3)} for ## yz + x^2y^3z + x^2y^3z^3##) and deduce a set of values to use in our evaluations that make the system of equations very easy to solve?
Oh I think I see now - that would be quite an interesting trick but it's way beyond my algebra comfort zone to even contemplate I'm afraid!

WWGD said:
Are your x,y,z Integer-valued variables? You were using (1,1,1) and (1,0,1) as examples, but just to make sure.

I'd be interested in the most general case, where only the exponents are required to be integers and the coefficients and variables need not be.

However, the less general case where coefficients are integers would be interesting. For example, sometimes we have a mutinomial function expressed as a product such as ##f(x,y,z) = (xy + 9xz^2 + 2xyz)(x^3 y^2 z + 4yz)(6xzy^2 -3 zy^3)## We can list the types of terms that are produced by the multiplication insofar as the different combinations of exponents that will result. It would be nice to have a method for deducing the coefficients of the terms without multiplying out the factors.

Of course, computers can do both symbolic multiplication and numerical evaluation. So this is a question about a pre-computer age trick - analogous to pre-computer calculation tricks like synthetic division.

Stephen Tashi said:
I'd be interested in the most general case, where only the exponents are required to be integers and the coefficients and variables need not be.

However, the less general case where coefficients are integers would be interesting. For example, sometimes we have a mutinomial function expressed as a product such as ##f(x,y,z) = (xy + 9xz^2 + 2xyz)(x^3 y^2 z + 4yz)(6xzy^2 -3 zy^3)## We can list the types of terms that are produced by the multiplication insofar as the different combinations of exponents that will result. It would be nice to have a method for deducing the coefficients of the terms without multiplying out the factors.

Of course, computers can do both symbolic multiplication and numerical evaluation. So this is a question about a pre-computer age trick - analogous to pre-computer calculation tricks like synthetic division.
For the case of integer variables and exponents, I believe some work has been done in Algebraic Geometry. Maybe @mathwonk knows something about this?

i don't know anything offhand, but i would ask myself how to find the coefficients of something like axyz + b x^2yz + cxy^2z + dxyz^2 first off. presumably one looks at values of the polynomial and its derivatives.

You can get shorter equations by keeping several parameters zero if that still gives you some information. For ##f(x,y,z) = k_1 x^2 y^3 z + k_2 x^3 z^5##, choose one point with y=0 to find k2, then pick any other point where the first term doesn't vanish to determine k1. This doesn't always work, and for many coefficients you'll need equations that include all parameters simply because no component will be zero. That's unavoidable.

mathwonk said:
presumably one looks at values of the polynomial and its derivatives.

If we have only a program that evaluates the multinomial, the values of its derivatives are not given information. However, finite differences such as f(1,1,1) - f(0,1,1) would be available.

sounds promising.

mathwonk said:
sounds promising.

Yes, it looks like we can use finite differences to find the coefficients individually without solving simultaneous equations. I don't know of any texts that work out a multivariable version of the calculus of finite differences. It seems straightforward.

Define ##\Delta_x f(x,y,..) = f(x+1,y,..) - f(x,y,..)## and use notation like ##\Delta^3_x f(x,y) = \Delta_x( \Delta_x( \Delta_x f(x,y,...))##

By analogy with McLaurin series, I'd think that

##f(x,y,z) = f(0+x,0+y,0+z) = f(0,0,0) + \sum_{i=1,j=1,k=1}^{n_x,n_y,n_z} \frac{1}{i!j!k!} k_{i,j,k} x^i y^j z^k ## with ##k_{i,j,k} = \Delta_x^i \Delta_y^j \Delta_z^k f(x,y,z) ## evaluated at ##(x,y,z) = (0,0,0)##.

1. What are multinomial coefficients?

Multinomial coefficients are a type of mathematical coefficient used to calculate the number of ways to arrange a set of objects into groups of different sizes. They are similar to binomial coefficients, but instead of dividing the objects into two groups, they can be divided into multiple groups.

2. How do you find multinomial coefficients?

To find multinomial coefficients, you can use the multinomial theorem or the multinomial formula. The multinomial theorem states that the coefficient of x1a1 x2a2 ... xkak in the expansion of (x1 + x2 + ... + xk)n is given by n! / (a1! a2! ... ak!). The multinomial formula is a generalization of the binomial formula and can be used to calculate multinomial coefficients for any number of groups.

3. What are some real-world applications of multinomial coefficients?

Multinomial coefficients have many applications in statistics, combinatorics, and probability. They are used to calculate the probabilities of outcomes in experiments with multiple categories, such as rolling a die or drawing cards from a deck. They are also used in multinomial regression models to analyze data with multiple categorical variables.

4. How are multinomial coefficients related to other types of coefficients?

Multinomial coefficients are closely related to binomial coefficients and can be seen as a generalization of them. Binomial coefficients are used to calculate the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a set, while multinomial coefficients are used to calculate the number of ways to divide a set of objects into groups of different sizes. Additionally, multinomial coefficients can be expressed in terms of binomial coefficients using the multinomial theorem.

5. Can multinomial coefficients be negative?

No, multinomial coefficients cannot be negative. They represent the number of ways to arrange a set of objects, so they must be positive integers. If a multinomial coefficient is calculated to be negative, it is likely that an error was made in the calculation.