Finding Restrictions for the Implicit Function Theorem

In summary: We should be able to solve for $(u_x,u_y)$ and $(v_x,v_y)$, after which we need to check if each of them is a well defined , continuous vector function around $(x,y)=(1,0)$. That means in particular that if we substitute $(x,y)=(1,0)$, $u(1,0)=1$, and $v(1,0)=-1$, that we should find that $(u_x,u_y)$ and $(v_x,v_y)$ are defined (not infinite).We can probably make the substitution immediately, before solving for $(u_x,u
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Which relation do the constants $a,b$ have to satisfy so that the implicit function theorem implies that the system of two equations

$$axu^2v+byv^2=-a \ \ \ \ bxyu-auv^2=-a$$

can be solved as for u and v as functions $u=u(x,y)$ and $v=v(x,y)$ with continuous partial derivatives of first order in some region of $(1,0)$ and with u(1,0)=1, v(1,0)=-1.

I have thought the following:$$\Delta=\begin{pmatrix}
au^2v & bv^2\\
byu & -bxu
\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
-a & b\\
0 & -b
\end{pmatrix}$$It should hold that $det(\Delta)\neq0 \Rightarrow ab \neq 0$.

So the condition is $a^2+b^2 \neq 0$. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Which relation do the constants $a,b$ have to satisfy so that the implicit function theorem implies that the system of two equations

$$axu^2v+byv^2=-a \ \ \ \ bxyu-auv^2=-a$$

can be solved as for u and v as functions $u=u(x,y)$ and $v=v(x,y)$ with continuous partial derivatives of first order in some region of $(1,0)$ and with u(1,0)=1, v(1,0)=-1.

I have thought the following:$$\Delta=\begin{pmatrix}
au^2v & bv^2\\
byu & -bxu
\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
-a & b\\
0 & -b
\end{pmatrix}$$It should hold that $det(\Delta)\neq0 \Rightarrow ab \neq 0$.

So the condition is $a^2+b^2 \neq 0$. Am I right?

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Suppose we pick $u(x,y)=v(x,y)=a=0$, wouldn't that satisfy all conditions? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

Suppose we pick $u(x,y)=v(x,y)=a=0$, wouldn't that satisfy all conditions? (Wondering)

Yes, that's right... Could you give me a hint how can we can find the desired condition? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Yes, that's right... Could you give me a hint how can we can find the desired condition? (Thinking)

Shouldn't we have partial derivative like:
$$
\pd{}x(axu^2v+byv^2)=au^2v + 2axuvu_x + axu^2v_x + 2buvv_x = 0
$$
and 3 more such equations?

We should be able to solve for $(u_x,u_y)$ and $(v_x,v_y)$, after which we need to check if each of them is a well defined , continuous vector function around $(x,y)=(1,0)$.
That means in particular that if we substitute $(x,y)=(1,0)$, $u(1,0)=1$, and $v(1,0)=-1$, that we should find that $(u_x,u_y)$ and $(v_x,v_y)$ are defined (not infinite).

We can probably make the substitution immediately, before solving for $(u_x,u_y)$ and $(v_x,v_y)$.
That should give us the required restrictions for a and b.
That is:
$$
\pd{}x(axu^2v+byv^2)\Big|_{(1,0)}=a\cdot -1 + 2a\cdot -1 \cdot u_x + av_x + 2b\cdot -1 \cdot v_x
= -a -2au_x+(a-2b)v_x = 0
$$
and the same for the other 3 equations.
Then solve for $(u_x,u_y)$ and $(v_x,v_y)$. (Thinking)

1. What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a mathematical tool used in calculus to determine the existence and behavior of a function that is defined implicitly by an equation, rather than explicitly. It provides conditions under which a set of equations can be solved for one variable in terms of the others.

2. How does the Implicit Function Theorem work?

The Implicit Function Theorem states that if a set of equations satisfies certain conditions, then it is possible to solve for one variable in terms of the others, even if the equations are not explicitly solved for that variable. This is done by taking derivatives and using the chain rule to isolate the desired variable.

3. What are the conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold?

The conditions for the Implicit Function Theorem to hold are: the equations must be continuously differentiable, the partial derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable must not be zero, and the determinant of a certain matrix, called the Jacobian, must also not be zero.

4. What is the significance of the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is an important tool in calculus and mathematical analysis, as it allows for the solution of equations that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also has many applications in physics, economics, and other fields where implicit functions arise.

5. Can the Implicit Function Theorem be extended to multivariable functions?

Yes, the Implicit Function Theorem can be extended to multivariable functions through the use of the Inverse Function Theorem. This theorem allows for the determination of the existence and behavior of a multivariable function that is defined implicitly by a set of equations.