Finding Tangent Planes and Normal Vectors to Surfaces

In summary, using vector geometry, the Cartesian equation of the tangent plane to the surface z = x^{2}+y^{2} at the point (1,2,5) is 2(x-1)+ 4(y-2)- (z- 5)= 0. To find the vector n that is normal to the surface at this point, we can take the cross product of the tangent vectors to the curve on z= x^{2}+y^{2} with x= 1 and y= 2, which gives us the vector <0, 1, 4>. This vector is perpendicular to the tangent plane and is therefore the normal vector.
JFonseka
Suppose that F(x,y) = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex]. By using vector geometry, find the Cartesian equation of the tangent plan to the surface z = F(x,y) at the point where (x,y,z) = (1,2,5). Find also a vector n that is normal to the surface at this point.

======================================================================
Now the step by step working is given for this question, I however get confused at one part.
First they intersect the surface z = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex] with the plane x = 1

Therefore z = 1 + y[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The gradient F[tex]_{y}[/tex](1,2) = 4

By using the point gradient formula for a straight line, the Cartesian eq for the tangent is:

z -5 = 4(y - 2), x =1

If [tex]\lambda[/tex] = y - 2, then the equation of the tangent line in parametric vector form is

(x y z) = (1 2 5) + [tex]\lambda[/tex](0 1 4)

Now my question is, where did the (0 1 4) come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
JFonseka said:
First they intersect the surface z = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+y[tex]^{2}[/tex] with the plane x = 1

By using the point gradient formula for a straight line, the Cartesian eq for the tangent is:

z -5 = 4(y - 2), x =1

If [tex]\lambda[/tex] = y - 2, then the equation of the tangent line in parametric vector form is

(x y z) = (1 2 5) + [tex]\lambda[/tex](0 1 4)

Now my question is, where did the (0 1 4) come from?

Hi JFonseka! :smile:

This is the tangent line in the x = 1 plane (hmm … why didn't they choose the easier z = 5 plane? :confused:), so the x term has to be 0.

And from z -5 = 4(y - 2), the z must increase 4 times as fast as the y, so altogether it's a multiple of (0 1 4). :smile:

I'm not sure I can answer you question because that is not quite the way I would do the problem! In fact, I am pretty sure (x,y,z)= (1, 2, 5)+ [itex]\lambda[/itex](0, 1, 4) is wrong. z= x2+ y2 has zx= 2x= 2 at (1, 2, 5) so that the line z= 5+ 2(x-1) Taking x= 2 in the first equation, z= 5+ 2= 7. But the equation of the plane you give has x= 1 for all y and z.

Given z= x2+ y2, think of this as a "level surface" of the function F(x,y,z)= x2+ y2- z= 0. The gradient of F is the vector function <2x, 2y, -1> and, at (x,y,z)= (1, 2, 5) that is <2, 4, -1>. The gradient vector is always perpendicular to a "level surface" so this vector, <2, 4, -1> is perpendicular to the surface and so to the tangent plane. A vector equation of a plane with normal vector <2, 4, -1> and containing point (1, 2, 5) is (x, y, z)= (1, 2, 5)+ t(2, 4, -1). That is the equation of the tangent plane and is NOT what you give.

HallsofIvy said:
A vector equation of a plane with normal vector <2, 4, -1> and containing point (1, 2, 5) is (x, y, z)= (1, 2, 5)+ t(2, 4, -1). That is the equation of the tangent plane and is NOT what you give.

uh-uh … that's the equation of the normal to the tangent plane. :wink:

(and (0 1 4) is perpendicular to it)

I'm going to look at both your answers, thanks!

I forgot to mention, there is more, I just didn't put it because I was confused at that point.

And just to prove what an imbecile I am, I didn't even notice it was the equation of a line, not a plane! Darn- makes me wish I could just erase that post and pretend I never wrote it. I think I got confused when JFonseca asked about the tangent plane but then started talking about a tangent line.

The equation of the normal plane to z= x2+ y2 is, of course,
[tex]2\vec{i}+ 4\vec{j}-\vec{k} \cdot (x-1)\vec{i}+ (y-2)\vec{j}+ (z- 5)\vec{k}[/tex]
or 2(x-1)+ 4(y-2)- (z- 5)= 0.

Yes, if we take the line tangent to the curve on z= x2+ y2 with x= 1, then z= 1+ y2 so dz/dy= 2y and dz/dy= 4 at y= 2. dy/dy= 1, of course, and, since x is the constant, 0, here, dx/dy= 0. The tangent vector is <0, 1, 4> and, as tiny-tim pointed out, that is pependicular to my <2, 4, -1> which is perpendicular to the surface itself. I'm not sure why you would want to calculate a tangent to the curve- unless you are also going to calculate the tangent vector to the curve on z= x2+ y2 with y= 2 and then take the cross product of the two tangent vectors to get the normal vector to the surface. Seems a complicated method to me.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, if we take the line tangent to the curve on z= x2+ y2 with x= 1, then z= 1+ y2 so dz/dy= 2y and dz/dy= 4 at y= 2. dy/dy= 1, of course, and, since x is the constant, 0, here, dx/dy= 0. The tangent vector is <0, 1, 4> and, as tiny-tim pointed out, that is pependicular to my <2, 4, -1> which is perpendicular to the surface itself.
Ah...so that's how they worked it out, now I get it!

I'm not sure why you would want to calculate a tangent to the curve- unless you are also going to calculate the tangent vector to the curve on z= x2+ y2 with y= 2 and then take the cross product of the two tangent vectors to get the normal vector to the surface. Seems a complicated method to me.

That's actually what they do in the next few steps, I just never posted that bit because it was similar and also I didn't get how they got that tangent vector <0,1,4>, but now I know. Thanks a lot tiny and hallsofivy!

Related to Finding Tangent Planes and Normal Vectors to Surfaces

1. What is a tangent plane to a surface?

A tangent plane to a surface is a plane that touches the surface at a single point and is parallel to the surface's local slope at that point.

2. How is a tangent plane calculated?

A tangent plane is calculated by finding the partial derivatives of the surface's equation with respect to both x and y, and then using those derivatives to determine the slope of the surface at a given point. The tangent plane is then constructed by using this slope to create a flat plane.

3. What is the purpose of finding a tangent plane to a surface?

One purpose of finding a tangent plane to a surface is to determine the rate of change of the surface at a specific point. This can be useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, such as optimization and optimization problems.

4. Can a tangent plane be found for any type of surface?

Yes, a tangent plane can be found for any type of surface, as long as the surface is differentiable at the point of interest. If a surface is not differentiable at a certain point, it is impossible to determine a unique tangent plane at that point.

5. How is a tangent plane different from a normal plane?

A tangent plane and a normal plane differ in their orientation. A tangent plane is parallel to the local slope of the surface at a specific point, while a normal plane is perpendicular to the surface at that same point. A tangent plane can also be thought of as a "flat" version of the curved surface, while a normal plane shows the true curvature of the surface at a point.