Finding the Area of a Disc with Integration Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses using integration methods to establish the formula A = π r^2 for the area of a disc of radius r. The participants also discuss using substitution and Pythagorean identities to simplify the integral, as well as a simpler approach of adding the circumferences of concentric circles to find the area.
markosheehan
Use integration methods to establish the formula A = π r^2 for the area of a disc ofradius r.

so the equation of the circle is x^2 +y^2 =r^2 . i will try and find the area of one quadrant using integration. so it will be ∫ r,0 y dx
so ∫ r,0 √(r^2 -x^2) dx so from here i am trying to integrate it but it is not working for me. i saw some suggested help saying you should substitute x for something but i do not know what it is and i can not see why you would do this either. i can't see why my normal method should not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so what you want using this approach is:

\(\displaystyle A=4\int_0^r \sqrt{r^2-x^2}\,dx\)

We need to multiply by 4 since we are integrating over just 1 of the 4 quadrants, that is the integral is 1/4 of the total area of the disc. For an integral of this type, a good substitution is:

\(\displaystyle x=r\sin(\theta)\implies dx=r\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

So now, we want to change the limits, the integrand and the differential from being in terms of $x$ to being in terms of $\theta$. This will give us:

\(\displaystyle A=4\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sqrt{r^2-r^2\sin^2(\theta)}r\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

In the integrand, we can factor the radicand and then pull any constants out front:

\(\displaystyle A=4r^2\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sqrt{1-\sin^2(\theta)}\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Can you use a Pythagorean identity to simplify the radical?

x=rsin(θ) ⟹dx=rcos(θ)dθ

I am not sure how you get this. Where does the d and the dθ come from.? Are you not just supposed to integrate both sides?

I can take it from where you left it though.

markosheehan said:
x=rsin(θ) ⟹dx=rcos(θ)dθ

I am not sure how you get this. Where does the d and the dθ come from.? Are you not just supposed to integrate both sides?

I can take it from where you left it though.

This is just a substitution:

\(\displaystyle x=r\sin(\theta)\)

And via differentiation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle dx=r\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

This takes care of the integrand and the differential, and for the limits, we observe that our substitution may be written:

\(\displaystyle \theta(x)=\arcsin\left(\frac{x}{r}\right)\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle \theta(0)=\arcsin\left(\frac{0}{r}\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \theta(r)=\arcsin\left(\frac{r}{r}\right)=\frac{\pi}{2}\)

A simpler approach would be to add via integration all of the circumferences of the concentric circles from radius 0 to radius r:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_0^r (2\pi u)\,du=2\pi\int_0^r u\,du\)

MarkFL said:
This is just a substitution:

\(\displaystyle x=r\sin(\theta)\)

And via differentiation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle dx=r\cos(\theta)\,d\theta\)

This takes care of the integrand and the differential, and for the limits, we observe that our substitution may be written:

\(\displaystyle \theta(x)=\arcsin\left(\frac{x}{r}\right)\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle \theta(0)=\arcsin\left(\frac{0}{r}\right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \theta(r)=\arcsin\left(\frac{r}{r}\right)=\frac{\pi}{2}\)
i am sorry but i have never done this before and i am confused. thanks anyway

markosheehan said:
i am sorry but i have never done this before and i am confused. thanks anyway

Let me know where the confusion lies, and I'll try to explain. :)

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a disc using integration methods?

The formula for finding the area of a disc using integration methods is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the disc.

2. How does integration help in finding the area of a disc?

Integration helps in finding the area of a disc by dividing the disc into infinitely small slices, calculating the area of each slice, and then summing them up to get the total area. This process is known as integration and is represented mathematically by the integral sign.

3. Can the disc have a varying radius when using integration to find its area?

Yes, the disc can have a varying radius. In this case, the integral sign is used to represent the varying radius and the function inside the integral represents the radius at each point.

4. Are there any other methods to find the area of a disc besides integration?

Yes, there are other methods to find the area of a disc such as using the formula A = πr² or using geometric shapes like triangles and rectangles to approximate the area. However, integration is the most accurate method as it takes into account the infinitesimal changes in the radius.

5. Is finding the area of a disc using integration limited to only circular discs?

No, finding the area of a disc using integration is not limited to only circular discs. It can also be used for finding the area of discs with other shapes such as ellipses or even irregular shapes, as long as the radius can be represented mathematically.