Finding the Coefficients in the Laurent Series of a Logarithm

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Laurent series for the function f(z)=log\frac{1+z}{1-z} and the difficulty in determining the coefficient of the power z^-1. Various approaches are discussed, including integrating the closed contour and the use of branch cuts. The conversation ends with a disagreement on the inclusion of the term \pi i in the general expression for the Laurent series.
namu
Hello, I am having difficulty matching one term in my Laurent series to that which mathematica tells me is the correct answer. For the function

[itex]f(z)=log\frac{1+z}{1-z}[/itex]

we know that there exists a k such that

[itex]Log|1+z|-Log|1-z|+i2\pi k[/itex]

Now, we know that the Taylor series of f is as below

[itex] f(z)=log\frac{1+z}{1-z}=\int \frac{1}{1+z}dz+\int \frac{1}{1-z} dz
=\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-z)^n dz+\int \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} dz=2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^(2n+1)}{2n+1} [/itex]

Now we would like to find the Laurent series. I used a similar approach resulting in

[itex] f(z)=log\frac{1+z}{1-z}=\int \frac{1}{z}\frac{1}{1+1/z}dz-\int \frac{1}{z}\frac{1}{1-1/z} dz =2 \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{z^{-(2n+1)}}{2n+1}[/itex]

Notice that since I used integration to find the coefficients, I was unable to determine the coefficient of the power z^-1 which according to mathematica should give me the following term in the series

[itex] \frac{2}{z}+i\pi [/itex]

I know that we can use the following definition to find this coefficient

[itex] b_{-1}=\frac{1}{2 \pi i} \oint_c f(z) dz [/itex]

However I do not know how to integrate the closed contour with a branch cut.
Also, it seems that the branch cut we choose is important to make our Laurent
series expansion consistent with the function, however what tells me what the
correct branch cut is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Misunderstood the problem initially so if you saw my first one, it was wrong. Ok, you want the Laurent series for [itex]|z|>1[/itex]. When I go through the algebra by first combining both series then integrating, I get:

[tex]-2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{z^{1-2n}}{1-2n}[/tex]

I'm unclear about the addition of the [itex]\pi i[/itex] term but I believe the general expression can be written as:

[tex]f(z)=\pi i+2n\pi i-2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{z^{1-2n}}{1-2n},\quad |z|>1[/tex]

Last edited:
I agree with what you found for |z|>1, however where are you getting the 2nπi eqpression from? That may help me to figure out where I have gone wrong.

namu said:
I agree with what you found for |z|>1, however where are you getting the 2nπi eqpression from? That may help me to figure out where I have gone wrong.

If it's just a log(h(z)) where h(z) is single-valued, then the branches differ by [itex]2n\pi i[/itex]. I probably should not have used n though and written it as:

[tex]f(z)=\pi i+2k\pi i-2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{z^{1-2n}}{1-2n},\quad |z|>1[/tex]

where k is the k'th branch and you know what, I'm starting to think that [itex]\pi i[/itex] thing is just an artifact of Mathematica because the function [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1+z}{1-z}[/itex] for [itex]|z|>1[/itex] lies entirely in the left half-plane, a linear fractional transformation, so the analytic continuation of the arg function in that range would not agree with Mathematica's "principal" arg function which is [itex]-\pi<\theta\leq \pi[/itex] and therefore to represent the analytic continuation of the function in Mathematica, we need to add the [itex]\pi i[/itex] to adjust the argument so that it is analytically continuous there. Not sure though. Anyone can clarify that for me please?

Last edited:

What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of the variable, with both positive and negative exponents.

What is a logarithm function?

A logarithm function is the inverse of an exponential function, and it measures the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number.

How is a Laurent series of a logarithm calculated?

The Laurent series of a logarithm is calculated by expanding the function as a power series, then using algebraic manipulation to separate the positive and negative exponents into separate series.

What is the purpose of a Laurent series of a logarithm?

The purpose of a Laurent series of a logarithm is to provide a way to approximate complex functions in a small neighborhood around a singularity, where the function may not be analytic.

What are some applications of Laurent series of a logarithm?

Laurent series of a logarithm have applications in complex analysis, number theory, and physics, among others. They can be used to solve differential equations, study the behavior of functions near singularities, and analyze complex systems.